Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by sptym: Panama Canal

Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Jewel of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Panama Canal

Sail Date: March 2011

Overall we loved the cruise. We have been on the Jewel of the seas before and find it similar to the NCL Spirit. Our stateroom was an Aft with a narrow wrap around. Enough room on the balcony for 2 chairs and 1 lounger and a table. Our stateroom was a good size with a lot of storage space, 2 twin beds a couch , a desk area where the tv was and a large closet with plenty of room for both of our clothes. There were many drawers in the desk area. In the BR there was storage on shelves and a cabinet. The shower was a fair size but had glass doors and it was all you needed. Many mirrors so you could see yourself from all sides in the room. A lot of lights and plenty of air conditioning.

Even though we were in an Aft balcony you got use to the long walk to the elevators.

The ship was always very clean. Even after a slot tournament ended some came over and cleaned all of the machines. I was surprised.

The food , well if you liked Pork you would be happy 4 nights there More it was on the menu. Lots of shrimp , Beef was good but often overly seasoned. We had MY Time Dining and loved it. Pretty much went at the same time each night but had the option to go later if we wanted to. Service was great.

Guest relations was better this cruise than our cruise last Oct. We had a few problems pretty much small but enough to make me feel like I wasn't on "vacation and Relaxing" like they told me I should feel. They sent us a bottle of wine and strawberries which was very nice of them.

We had booked a tour for our day in FLL. after getting off the ship. We needed to find out for ourselves that it had been cancelled . We were notified via a voicemail @ 12:12 pm and got a note @ 5pm. Well when you are out of your room all day then you aren't there to get the info we already had.

Embarkation was smooth and swift. It was amazing. Disembarkation was slow through customs was organized.

We caught a cab to the airport right away. The cabs are lined up right outside the pier. Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Jewel of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Jewel of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 7 7172

Great cabin, lots of storage. The balcony is a strange shape but it worked for us. We hung up a clothes line and it was out of our way. We were over the Safari club but only heard music one night but we didn't mind it because it was early and we weren't staying in the room. Very quiet location.

We had been to Aruba before so we didn't plan an excursion. The one we took in Oct. was all day and we really didn't see downtown. We went shopping and found m,any bargains. No one bothered you but when shopping in the tents outside check the prices because they are all different. If you see something unusual and like it buy it the stuff goes fast. My sister missed out on something she wanted.

We went to the casino and my sister won $200.00 dollars and yes they pay in US dollars. We had lunch at 7 West across from Dunkin donuts. Recommended by a local . We had great ribs and a cold drink and a great view of the ocean for about $10.00 each.

I bought a beautiful table cloth at Little Holland with 4 napkins for $22.00.

The people were all very friendly.

Read 684 Aruba Reviews

I imagined jungle with many people wanting to rob and kill or abduct me. What a surprise. This was my favorite island. It is just beautiful. There is the old walled city and then you look and see the new Colombia.

We went on a Pirate ship. There was a folklore show throughout the tour . very talented young people. They served refreshments, both drinks and chip type stuff.

There is an area to get post cards and send them in their small terminal.

After we got off the boat we went on a tour of the old city. watch out . As soon as you get off the bus they are in your face to sell you everything. They make you nervous. I just kept saying No Thanks. and they went away till the next one came over.

We saw the Vice President of Colombia and there was a lot of armed security and helicopters.

The people do everything to get money from you. If they pose for a picture with you they want money.

I got some coffee where the tour guide took us to buy it and it was much cheaper than the other places.

The shopping was in many small shops.

I had a local cold drink and it was very good.

Once in a life time Ferry trip through the canal. What a wonderful experience. They severed a very nice buffet . The weather was very warm because it takes quite awhile to get through the locks but they had plenty of free cold drinks and water.

Very pretty. Tourist trap. Many shops. Very expensive. We went on a tour to the turtle farm that was in fast mode. No time to see a lot. We did go over to see the dolphins. Then we went to the town of hell. I can now say I have been to hell and back. They have a few small shops and a post office and of course the grey colored formations . Then they said we were going to a rum cake factory. It was a rum cake shop. I did buy a rum cake.

Had some local meat pies in a small shop downtown. They were delicious.

I was told by many of my friends that this place was beautiful and I was going to love it. well I liked it it was nice but not my favorite. We went on the coffee bean tour. An air-conditioned bus thank goodness because it took 2 hours to get there. The factory was closed but we still had a great tour and got to have some incredible coffee. I bought 20 lbs of coffee to be delivered to the house. included in the tour was a lunch at a very nice hotel . We had an incredible lunch on a patio under a canopy, by the pool. It was beautiful.

There was a volcano that we could see the steam coming out of. That was fun to see. We drove through part of the rain forest. Saw many Banana trees, and of course coconut trees.