Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by bharrelslp: Dress codes were not enforced in formal dining rooms

bharrelslp
Member Since 2011
1 Post

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Dress codes were not enforced in formal dining rooms

Sail Date: April 2011
Embarkation: Galveston

I booked two cabins on Conquest April 3, 2011 to celebrate with my daughter and two adult granddaughters who will be going to graduate school and moving. They had only cruised as children and I choose Carnival Conquest because I had sailed on this ship on 3 other occasions and had always found it to be a beautiful, luxurious ship.

This cruise was somewhat disappointing due to passengers being allowed to come into the dining room dressed like they were going to the beach. Always before my family has been told that only shirts with collars, pants no shorts and no t-shirts were allowed in the dining rooms at the evening meals.

Every night my family dressed according to the dress code listed however other passengers were allowed into the dining room with shorts, short shorts, t-shirts, ball caps and on two occasions flip flops and attire that should only be worn on the beach.

I personally asked the Mad re d why this was occurring and was told that if I had not More sailed on Carnival in the last two years that they had relaxed their dress code so that you now could wear whatever. If this is the case then why stipulate at all what should and should not be worn in the dining room both in the brochures and in the daily fun news sheets.

Many of the passengers I spoke to were as upset as I was that this was allowed, it made formal night nothing special for the majority of us who made the effort to dress appropriately each night. I might even accept on casual nights allowing some relaxing of the rules but we were seated on our last formal night across from a 50 something couple who were both in shorts, skimpy t-shirts and flip flops...hairy legs and all, it sort of takes away from the ambiance of FORMAL night. I know it we are Texans but most of us do know how to dress correctly when expected. We are not all BUH BUHS.

Ironically, a lovely lady at breakfast wearing a yellow beach cover up was told she could not enter the dining room for breakfast because the cover up looked like a bathrobe, REALLY! She took it off and was allowed to enter in her swim suit top.

This truly saddened me because my family had so looked forward to elegant dining and as it worked out we might as left all our dresses at home. The specialty dining room was lovely and we did enjoy that.

I guess my complaint is why have dress code rules listed for the dining rooms if they are not going to be enforced, those who did NOT wish to dress appropriately could have eaten at the buffet or pizza etc. which is what they probably were used to eating anyway.

Having been on more than 7 or 8 Carnival cruises and 18 other cruises in total I think I would have to think twice about booking one again. I did talk to a friend who had cruised on Ecstasy the month before and she said that the dress codes were highly enforced on that ship....perhaps it is just Conquest who is willing to cater to a lower class of passengers now? Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Interior Empress 7383

OUR CABINS WERE KEPT SPOTLESS, WE SLEPT WITH EAR PLUGS BUT THERE WAS SOME BANGING OF THE ICE BUCKETS ETC. BUT IT DID NOT ANNOY US. OUR ROOM STEWART JOHNNY WAS WONDERFUL.

XCERET, WE WERE TREATED SO BEAUTIFULLY. MY GRANDDAUGHTER GOT SEASICK ON THE WATER TAXI TO PLAYA DEL CARMAN AND COULD HARDLY WALK BUT OUR TOUR GUIDE HELPED US TO THE BUS AND WHEN WE GOT TO THE PARK THE EMT MEDIC CHECKED HER OUT AND WAS OUTSTANDING.

OUR GUIDE A GIRL FROM GREECE MINA CAME BACK TO GET US AND TAKE US TO THE BEACH AREA AND CHECKED ON US HOURLY. WE WERE SO VERY HAPPY WITH HOW WE WERE TREATED AT THE PARK AND BY THE TOUR GUIDE.

MY GRANDDAUGHTER WHO GOT SEASICK WORKED FOR DISNEY WORLD AND AND SAID NO ONE WOULD HAVE BEEN TREATED THAT WELL THERE HAD THIS OCCURED AT THAT PARK. ALL OF OUR EXCURSIONS WERE TOP NOTCH.

Read 3106 Cozumel Reviews

TURTLE SWIM AND STINGRAY SWIM, BOTH WERE WONDERFUL.