Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Creative Cookie: Solo Traveler on NCL's Epic

Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Western Caribbean Cruises

Solo Traveler on NCL's Epic

Sail Date: April 2011

As a former NCL cruiser, I must say that the Epic was my best cruise experience and I believe it was because I went alone. Previously, I had gone with my husband when we were married and last year on the NCL Dawn with a girlfriend. Those experiences were more subdued because it wasn't all about me, and this was in a certain way. I felt the freedom to go where I want, when I wanted. During the day, I went to the quiet areas of the ship at Spice H2O, an adults only area as well as a small area on the 18th floor. That is where I spent most of my days at sea. As the previous Solo Traveler mentioned, the main pool area was noisy and crowded, so I pretty much avoided it. I love Freestyle Cruising, eating meals when I want and with whom I want, no preset times and not much dressing up necessary, only if you want to.

The Solo Travelers had a great advantage in that we were taken care of beautifully by Natalie, our own Cruise Director. She organized dinners for 20 or more, minutes More before we wanted to dine at the main restaurants, Taste or Manhattan. She was always there for us and was an invaluable part of the trip. Our 5:30 happy hour was very cheerful, everyone talking and making new friends from all over the world. If you are at all outgoing, you will have a marvelous time. It turned out that out of 128 Solo cabins, only about 20-30 people were active with the group daily. Others came and went but we had a fun core group. The average age of our group would be in the 40's I guess, but as a 64 year old woman, I felt totally accepted by the younger folks. Our age range was 27-83 years old and all had a good time. We celebrated two birthdays on board, and our 83 year old was thrilled when we dance around her at Spice H20.

If you are hesitant traveling alone, whether male or female, be assured that you can have a wonderful time in this situation. You are guaranteed to meet people and will be accepted for who you are. I didn't feel like a singles meat market. My expectations were to have fun and indeed, I did! Can I go again next week??? Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 11553

The Solo Cabins are a bit of a shock upon first sight, but I found enough space to put away all my belongings and once I adjusted the lighting to my taste, I was satisfied. The lights constantly rotate from red, to purple to blue to white, and I kept it on white for the maximum brightness. Someone told me it was romantic, but it was beyond my ideas of romance. I had never gone on a 7 day cruise before and never on an inside cabin, but it was just fine. It was quite cozy when I wanted to lay in bed and read. The toilet and shower compartments were a bit small, to say the least, but still adequate for an average size person. This cruise was the smoothest I have ever been on, whether it was being in those waters in April or the ships stabilizers, I can't say, but you hardly knew you were at sea sometimes.

Regarding the ports, I went to the Costa Maya beach and sat at the Tropicante Bar (good reasonable food, inexpensive drinks and a clean bathroom!!!) which was recommended and thoroughly enjoyed it. The people giving one hour massages for $25 do not bargain in front of this bar. I walked further down the beach and got a half hour massage for $10, and was very pleased. Estella gave a terrific massage, as good as I have gotten at home for quite a bit more money. Having a massage on the beach, under a shaded tree with the breeze blowing is a wonderfully relaxing experience.

Although I had been advised that Cozumel was the cheapest port we would visit, that was not my experience. I bought a few silver items at Costa Maya and was very pleased.

I did not enjoy Cozumel and didn't stay very long. When you debark, there is a two story concrete shopping mall you must pass through, with a constant barrage of hawkers. I realize this is their living, but it was nearly overwhelming. I walked through both floors, was unsure where the rest of the shopping was and decided to go back to air conditioning on the ship. It was too hot for me and I was uncomfortable. Found a couple of T-shirts for my grandchildren and was finished.

We had been warned about going around the island alone and I didn't feel the need to go to the beach. Relaxed on the ship for the rest of the day.

Read 3106 Cozumel Reviews

(5.5)
I loved my time in Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras. I had previously booked the Dolphin Encounter ($99 for about 2 1/2 hours) and was wondering if I would think it was worth it. We took a bus to Anthony's Key and Marine Scientific area and then a small boat to an island. It was beautiful and we had perfect weather. 24 dolphins live here with educational guides who had a group of 6 walk out waist deep into a very large penned in area. Our guide introduced us to our dolphin, a youngster named Madge. We cheered and clapped for her every trick and then my heart melted when she put her chin up to my cheek for "The Kiss." Then I cradled her and just fell in love. What wonderful creatures they are. It was well worth what I paid, and of course, I had to buy the $40 disc they sell with your pictures. You can also use your own camera after the professional has finished. There is a locked cabinet for your belongings, so that was one concern I had that was allayed.

When we returned to the port, I chose not to shop at the concrete buildings on the pier itself and walked a bit into the town. We were assured it is safe and I had no problem. Found the gifts I wanted at a good price and was quite satisfied. My theory is that when the locals pay high rent in the concrete buildings, they aren't able to pass along good prices, hence, go into the town.

Read 1646 Roatan Reviews