Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by nickash: Great Southern Caribbean classic cruise with Princess

nickash
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean Cruises

Great Southern Caribbean classic cruise with Princess

Sail Date: April 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

This is our second time cruising with princess. The first cruise was with Emerald last year out of Fort Lauderdale. It was a great experience. This time we decided to leave from San Juan. We decided to stay a day before the cruise and leave a day after the cruise returned to save money on the flight. The first night in san Juan we stayed at hotel Miramar. It was 26$ for six of us for the taxi ride from the airport. The hotel was perfect for a late night check in. Not much going on around the hotel but we arrived late so didnt mind. In the morning we went down for the free breakfast but there was a sign saying starting April 1st it had finished.. we still ate breakfast at the hotel and it was great. we then walked just down the street and got on the bus. It was 75cents and took us to old san juan. It dropped us off at the bus terminal that was right by the pier. This was not our peir though. Our ship left out of Pan American peir. From the bus terminal we jumped on the free trolley. On More sundays there was only two trolleys running. It took us up to the fort and castle. we paid 5.00 and that admitted us into both. Then on the way back the trolley took to long so we walked back down towards the pier. The walk was not bad on the way back because it was down hill. Lots of shopping. We ended up near the bus terminal again where we were for lunch at senor frogs. We had been there before in Mexico and loved the excitement of the bar so we were happy to go back.Food was great. Then we decided to grab a cab back to our hotel and he waited for us and then we grabbed our bags and headed to our pier at about 3:30. Once we arrived at the pier it was very fast no waiting. Once signed in there is a duty free shop which i thought was weird because i knew you could not bring alcohol on the ship...but we did buy wine and pop to bring on the ship from there. The people who bought the alcohol had it taken away until the end of the cruise.

Our room was great. it was considered obstructed oceanview but we had a great view.

The first night on the cruise was fun. We went to a show in the explorers lounge. I forget the guys name but he was from puerto rico and only preformed the first night. He was great. He had four dancers as well. He has returned 16 years now for princess and now i know why.

The cruise was great. The crown Grill was amazing. Our room stewart was great and very helpful. The decorations were good. The entertainment was good. The hypnotist was funny, the comedian troy i think was great, the theater shows were ok(more glee style). The dinning room was good. The first night it took over 2 hours for our meal to finish but then after that we had a different waiter and it was alot faster. We had the anytime dinning and it worked well because we ate at different times each night. We never had to wait for a table.

We only had one at sea day. We relaxed by the pool watching movies. The speakers were alittle to loud. The pools were very busy so I am happy it was only one day at sea.

only complaint was my princess card information was wearing off. By the end of the cruise I only had half my name left on the card. I guess the sunscreen took the writing off the card. I was refused buying drinks because of the writing coming off. This happened to my whole party of six. So we had to stand in a line at the front desk before ordering drinks because of this. The line was along because it was the last night so everyone was paying off there bills. It was annoying. Less

Read more Caribbean Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Caribbean Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Caribbean Princess Oceanview Obstructed Emerald

We had a obstructed ocean view room on deck 8. It was great. The room had lots of room. oF COURSE the shower was small but we were expecting that. We were worried about noise because we were by the elevators and above the casino but we didnt hear anything. Only one night someone drunk running up and down the hall being loud. lots of room to hang clothes. We had a great view out the window. I figured the boat would cover the whole window but it doesnt it only covers the bottom part. I could see everything out the window.

(5.5)
amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The most amazing beaches I have ever seen. I was planning on going to dickensons bay but once off the ship we talked to one of the taxi drivers and he recommended church valley beach. I asked him why..he said it will not be as packed as dickensons bay. we decided to trust him.. I think it was around 6-7 dollars a person. it was about a 25 min drive but well worth it. He didnt lie. The water was amazing. Calm. We made a set time with our driver to return since it was further out.

note: watch when you walk off the ship for men in normal clothing offering a taxi ride. I asked him how much he quoted a higher amount then the real taxi drivers. After reading other reviews I knew The real taxi drivers had a blue shirt on with a patch on right and left side of shirt and so decided to wait until we made it to them. Good thing we did . They were great and better price.

I will definately go back to antigua. 365 beaches

Read 801 Antigua Reviews

My favourite port! We did a excursion with Princess. The 5 star catamaran tour with turtles and snorkelling. This tour was great and I would do it over and over again. When we arrived I was worried because it was ranning but it cleared up fast and we headed for the turtle area. As soon as we jumped into the water the turtles started turning up everywhere. I was taking pictures like crazy. There were so many and swimming right under your feet. Note: bring water camera and dont kick...lots of people in water watching turtles got kicked acouple times. Lot of people see the turtles and the get back in the boat so after awhile they were only acouple of us and so many turtles so great pictures. We then got back on the boat and had an amazing lunch. the captain then took us to a beach to swim and snorkel. Once back on the boat we had unlimited alcohol. Pineapple juice with rum!! the crew was great. We then made our way back to land. I saw acouple turltes beside the catarman on our way back as well. great day but had to wear 60spf all day it was a hot day.
Read 702 Barbados Reviews

we were suppose to get off the ship at 10 so we went to the front desk and asked to get off earlier because we were renting a car for the day. They gave us an 8am disembark time which was great. It was very fast. Once off the ship I was suppose to call charlies car rental company from a pay phone. Once I got to the pay phone it didnt work. I asked one security guard and I got a rude responds. I then asked another security guard and she was amazing. She let me use her phone. I got a hold of the company and they told me where to wait. The free van pick up arrived and took us to the rental car location. They were great. 80.00 for a van rental for 24 hours. We decided to prepay gas because it was cheaper with them then on the street. WE drove from there to our hotel for that night. Verdanza hotel. We left our bags and got back in the Van and drove to the El Yunque rain forest. I printed out map quest before I left and it only took us 40mins. We stopped at cocco falls first. Then we took the big tree trail head to mina falls. I decided on this trail because the mina trail sounded crowded from other reviews i read. The trail took about 40 mins....it was alot of up and down so acouple people inour party needed to stop for a rest acouple times. once we arrvied at the falls around 11 it was packed. we explored for a bit and took pictures and then the big group of kids got out and left. I guess they were with a tour. This worked out great. we then got into the falls and got great pictures. we then headed back to the car and back to the hotel. We stopped at a bar which sold beers for 1.50!!!!!. We dropped off our car at another charlie car rental location right down the road from our hotel. so we were able to walk. The hotel was great so nice and clean. It had a great pool and walking distance to the beach.

The next morning we walked back to the charlie car rental location and showed our receipt and they drove us for free to the airport because we had the 24 car rental.

Note: Will never fly with U.S. Airways again. No entertainment, radio, television or food for 4 hour flight.Flight attendants not friendly.

Read 1361 San Juan Reviews

I had read reviews before leaving and decided to book a tour with coscol tours. He had a tour of the island for 65.00. I emailed him with the amount of people and once off the ship I saw him holding a sign for his tour. We went in a van with 12 people. You do have the option of booking your own van for alittle more. the tour was great. We saw the pitons, the drive through volcano(smelt so bad), acouple towns, breakfast, lunch(amazing), lots of look out points for pictures. we couldnt go to the waterfall because they said the waterfall was closed since the hurricane in October. We saw alot of damage from the hurricane throughout the island. We then took a water taxi to a beach between the pitons. it was so pretty and we had a snorkelling area by the rocks with was great.

The tour was about 6.5 hours in total. Our driver was Baptist was great. He showed us alot of cool things about the growing of bananas. i thought some of the stuff in the tour sounded boring but it all ended up being great. Alcohol, pop and water was included.

The only thing I would change is more time at the beach. We only stayed for an hour so by the time we snorkelled and dipped in the water it was time to go.

I think we got off the ship around nine am. We walked over to the taxi stand and we had to pay 8 dollars each to go to meagans bay. Once arriving there we paid a 4 dollar admission. We had been there once before on our last cruise and loved it so decided to go back. This time we brough cheap dollar store blow up mattresses to relax on in the water. The water is so calm and pretty. There are alot of pelicans diving right down beside you for fish because the water is so clear. neat to watch. There is a bar, resturant and gift shop there. I noticed it was alot buiser this visit then last time but i heard there were 5-6 ships in port that day. lots of room to spread out on beach though. we then took a taxi to town. We bought our alcohol there to bring home. Cheap. good price.
Read 2323 St. Thomas Reviews

once docked we got off right away and made our way to speedys ferry. The princess cruise excursion was full so i did research before i left on how to go to the gorda baths on our own. It was very easy. Speedys leaves at 9am. We docked at 8am so we walked 15mins down the road to speedys ferry. I think it was 30-40 dollars a person which takes you to the island and back and a taxi ride to the baths and back. The only extra thing we had to pay for was admission for 4.00. it worked out to cheaper then the cruise and we didnt have a time limit on when we had to leave. The baths trail down was not to bad. Once we got down to the baths it was beautiful. Then the six of us decided to climb through the rocks with our backpacks. The trail was neat but the biggest issue we had was how busy it was. There are people coming from both directions.

one side of the entrance is devils beach the other side is the baths beach. So you can enter through the rocks at both ends which causes a traffic jam. People dont wait...they keep coming instead of waiting there turn so that got frustrating. We had our parents with us and they are in there late 50's early 60's and they made it through the baths but it was a struggle in some spots ...not the best for tall people but easier for younger people to get around.

once we got to devils beach we were happy we brought our bags so we didnt have to go all the way back through the rocks to get them. Devils beach was amazing. So pretty and great snorkelling along the rocks. We then did the uphill hike back to the top.

It was a great experience but Now that I have done the baths if i went again I would just go tp devils beach. Or if there were no people around then I would do the baths.

At the top there is a resturant called top of the baths. we had drinks there. it was an amazing view.

-we took the taxi back at 215. -returned on the 245 ferry. - We arrived back with enough time to shop and make our way back to the ship.

Read 501 Tortola Reviews