Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by callumhouston

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by callumhouston
Explorer of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Member Name: callumhouston
Cruise Date: March 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Cabin Category: PR

FIRST TIME CRUISE - AMAZING - BUT BE AWARE !!
This was my first Cruise, and I am glad to say that it did not disappoint. It is the first holiday I have EVER taken where I have been TOTALLY RELAXED.

The ship was fantastic. Very clean with excpetionally attentive staff, who were very pleasant and who greeted you at every opportunity without it feeling false or like a chore.

The Dining experience was superb. We were in the Magellan Dining room, and the menu was fantastic with a fantastic selection of food, and a very good lighter options menu. The desserts were to die for, and the service was simply magnificent.

Entertainment on board was very varied, and I defy anyone to find nothing to do on board, whether you just want to relax for the day, or have a fun filled action packed experience, there is something for everyone.

Our room was on the inside of the ship looking on to the Promenade, which was fine, and our choice, however, when I take my next cruise, I will definately book a room with a balcony. Again, the Stateroom Attendants were fantastic with our room being serviced twice a day, and some very entertaining towel animals left for us !!!

The only disappointments for me were in the Spa. We decided to have a Hot Stone Massage - which was first class, and a great way to get into a relaxed mood for the cruise. HOWEVER, and this is the first irritant.... The after sales pitch in the Spa is exceptionally annoying, and to an extent fraudulent. I was given a whole speech based around questions about my likes and dislikes in my everyday life, which were translated into product sales by the Masseuse. It was expected that you will pay for the treatments, and no cost is discussed unless you ask. I asked if the products were included in the treatment, and was told no. At this point I said I was not interested. I was then told that this would present a problem with her manager, and she might not be able to reverse the transaction. I bluntly told her that this was not my problem, and that I had not agreed to purchase any products. The money was credited to my account. My partner on the other hand took the products which totalled $168. Based on the fact that he has an allergy means they were useless. This question was not asked by the staff member. I returned these goods, and was met with a similar tone, which I promptly dealt with.

The final issue for me was the speed and the cost of the Internet access. It is exceptionally slow, and designed, in my view to cost you money. Watch out. If you have a mobile broadband device for the USA take it. It will be much more cheaper.

Publication Date: 04/15/11