Thomson Spirit Cruise Review by Dorothy currie: Dispiriting Thomson Spirit!

Thomson Spirit 1
Dorothy currie

Overall Member Rating

Dispiriting Thomson Spirit!

Sail Date: March 2011
Destination: Middle East
Embarkation: Aqaba

This was my first cruise. I chose it as I wanted to visit Petra Jordan,and the Cairo museum,sphinx and pyramids.the ship was a little tired,but the cabin was adequate,if you can ignore the shower curtain sticking to you as you shower.

the food was adequate,but very repetitive and unimaginative.my friend and I tried the Compass restaurant but our main course was inedible -overcooked lukewarm marlin and soggy veg.we never returned and ate at the self service thereafter

.the entertainment was third rate during the day and somewhat cringe inducing.we had to go to the top deck and compass bar to escape the noise.I cannot comment on the evening show as I did not attend as this type of entertainment does not appeal.the quizzes and on board activities were,I thought,worthy of a Butlins holiday camp.I paid for this cruise prior to the upheaval in the Middle East,and it was evident that many people had booked at the last minute at considerably reduced rates.this was reflected in More the standard of behaviour of some of these passengers.a major bug bear was charging for bottled water despite the fact that I had paid £27 pound per day for an all inclusive drinks package.

Also, the trips were very expensive,and I found it extremely irritating to spend as much time in the papyrus and gold shop where the guides get commission as I did seeing one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world.on a shopping trip to Hurghada,12 of us on our small mini bus,10 of whom were women were left to fend off the unwelcome approaches of the bazaar holders who had been deprived of tourists due to the recent upheavals.it felt unsafe,was unpleasant and we reported back to destination services without any offer of refunds.

the serving staff and chambermaids were delightful.extremely pleasant and obliging.All in all very disappointing.poor value for money,and has put me off ever going on a cruise ship again Less

Published 04/14/11

Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?