Carnival Glory Cruise Review by 2 cruzen: Glory - 9 people, 7 days, 4 ports, home last night!

2 cruzen
Member Since 2009
2,057 Posts

Public Rooms Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Western Caribbean Cruises

Glory - 9 people, 7 days, 4 ports, home last night!

Sail Date: April 2011

In 2006, my parents took us on our first cruise - to Alaska on Celebrity. Ever since then, we have been hooked on cruising, but switched to Carnival since it was more affordable for us. In 2009, we did our first cruise on the Glory before she was refurbished. Last year, we were on the Miracle. Since we enjoy cruising so much, we wanted to take our 2 adult children on a cruise. We chose this itinerary due to dates and ports of call. I figured the kids would like port days over sea days - which they did. Port reviews later.

We arrived in Miami Friday night. We stayed at the Miami Hilton Downtown on Biscayne. It overlooked Biscayne Bay and you could see the port from some of the rooms, which was cool. Saturday morning we drove to Wal-Mart for those extras (my dad had rented a car, which was good since I really didn't see anything within walking distance from the Hilton). That afternoon, some of us walked to Bayside Market Place and did a little shopping and ate lunch. More We ate at the Tradewinds (a recommendation from one of the workers at the market) and had a great lunch - the seafood chowder was good and their Rum Punch's were quite good!

Sunday am, we took a cab to the port - reasonable - we had signed up for the shuttle, but with 6 of us it would have fun $36.00; cab was only around $12.00. The embarkation in Miami seemed different then when we went out of Port Canaveral and Ft. Lauderdale. Seemed like you had to go to more stations, one being a self-kiosk and it was more difficult than just going to a representative to get your sail-n-sign card. But it went quickly and we were on board.

The last time on Glory, my husband REALLY enjoyed the fish-n-chips station, so up to Deck 10 we went. However, he thought the breaded was much thicker and he didn't enjoy it as much, so we only ate there once. We usually walk around the ship to see it all, but by this time, the stress of getting 9 people on board had taken it's toll on me, plus I was trying to locate some members from Roll Call so we went to Lido deck and had a couple of the Funship specials. Around 3 we headed to our cabin and soon was called to the muster drill. That went quickly enough, but apparently they started too late since the horn sounded and we started to sail away just as we were walking back in to the ship from muster. That was a HUGE disappointment since the most fun part of sail away is actually being up on deck when you SAIL AWAY! So, we headed back down and did find 2 couples from roll call and visited with them briefly.

Off to dinner - had read so much about the ribs, that I ordered them. They were good, but my mom had also ordered them, so I kind of wished that I had tried the sweet/sour shrimp. From then on, we all tried to order different things - except on Lobster night - we all pretty much ordered that! Didn't go to the show that night, was feeling tired so we ended up outside and watched the movie playing on the big screen TV. That was fun, but I noticed the same movie playing later in the week.

Day 1 - Relaxing day at Sea. Yes it was. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new Serenity deck area for adults only. Alas, chair hogs there too, but my Mom and I finally found some. Try to get the ones with the blue coverings - nicely padded. Also enjoyed the hammock. Had some quiet time one night just looking up at the moon - lovely. It was cruise elegant that night and yes, the kids do clean up nicely. Had a very nice dinner and even ended up buying a picture - don't usually like the ones taken during dining.

Day 2 - Cozumel - see port review later. By the time we got back to the ship, lunch was over, but we were able to get a wrap from the deli - VERY GOOD.

Day 3 - Belize - PLEASE check out port review. Had a BLAST cave tubing. We had made reservations for the steakhouse for this night. Figured after spending the whole day with the kids, we would get away with my parents for a nice quiet dinner. My husband REALLY wanted to eat here and after seeing the HUGE lobster tail served on the Miracle last year, he was looking forward to that. However, in the Emerald steakhouse, the lobster tail it just 1 1/2 of the regular tails, so he ended up ordering the NY steak as he felt the Porterhouse would be too much. He was VERY disappointed in his choice - it was grisly - and when he said something about it, our waitress just said "sorry". She must have said something to the maitre' d, and the chef even come out to explain why the fat is kept on, but after all the raving reviews and our anticipation, it was a let-down. My Surf-n-Turf was wonderful, so IF you do go, I don't think you can go wrong with the filet mignon. Ordered the chocolate thing, but not really impressed with it - would have much rather have had the Bitter and Blanc which was served in the MDR that eventing. Bless our waiter, he ordered us some for the last night.

Day 4 - Roatan - see port review. This was a short port day as we were back on the ship by 3. That night was the Lido deck party and unless you really hate crowds, you should participate in the Conga (?) line at least once. My husband was tired, so my dear 24-year old son did it with me. FUN!

Day 5 - Grand Cayman - see port review. That night was the 2nd Elegant dining night and we were VERY rushed getting ready as our excursion didn't even get us back to the pier until 4:30 and YES, THE TENDER LINE IS RIDICULOUS. Back on ship with about 45 minutes to shower and get dressed for early dining. I think they should switch this night with Roatan night as you have much more time on Thursday. We were going to get pictures taken, but with being so rushed to get ready, and everyone getting a little too much sun, we didn't.

Day 6 - Sea day. By today, everyone is getting tired and has had too much sun. We all kind of did our own thing. Some napped, my mom won over $300.00 in the casino and I finally made a spa appointment. My splurge item. But is was just for a haircut. Finally went down the waterslide - 2x. FUN, but remember to close your mouth and eyes - it's salt water. Dinner the last night almost brings tears to your eyes when the waiters sing the farewell song.

Day 7 - Debarkation. We had signed up for the luggage express since we had a 12:08 flight, but in hindsight, probably could have saved the $. We went from zone 15 to zone 4, but like an excursion, we had to wait for some people who were late getting to the meeting place. Then we also had to wait in the Lobby area for our bags to clear customs. As the Carnival rep explained, it's not "express" service, meaning getting off the ship faster, it's luggage express. But when we finally arrived at Miami airport, there were no lines and we could have check in ourselves and had plenty of time to catch our flight. Lesson learned.

Just a few more pluses and minuses about the ship/cruise. We don't go to many of the bars at night. But we REALLY enjoyed the card magician who came to our MDR table and performed. He had a later show in the Burgundy Bar which was amazing. If you like adult comedy, make sure to see Allyn Ball - VERY, VERY funny. Since we had been on the Glory before, we had seen Justin Illusion previously. It was loud, but good last time. It seemed louder, but not as good this time.

The Guest Services people were always helpful and courteous. But whoever planned G/S to be next to the Lobby Bar didn't anticipate the difficulty of trying to speak about money issues with music blasting nearby.

About dining - we enjoyed the Main Dining Room - probably would not do the Steakhouse again, at least not on the Glory. If you've never tried the chilled bisque soups, you should. They are very good. I also love the Caesar salad. Most of the meals we found delicious. My husband had the Chateaubriand one night, but it seemed tough. Luckily, he had also ordered the Shrimp in Marinara sauce which was very good.

Overall, not our best cruise, but that was due to family issues. Am I going to cruise Carnival again - ABSOLUTELY. Even bought the Future Cruise Certificate. I will however, look at different ships. That is the fun thing about cruising, different sights, different ships, different adventures. It's not for everyone, but it's for us! Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Balcony Panorama 1034

Panorama deck - enjoyed being up high. Didn't feel any extra motion. However, our neighbors were noisy - just bad luck. Didn't notice much running in the hallway since there weren't many rooms on that deck, and we were in the forward cabins.

Contrary to what a lot of people say about Belize, WE LOVE IT. Been twice and loved both times. But, we also book a private excursion and this time we went cave tubing. Went with x-treme cave tubing (thru Island Marketing) and had a blast. Right off the bat, we felt that Mike was going to be a lot of fun as a tour guide, and I told him that our group wanted him. He said he had to go with a different group, but we convinced him that we would be better (plus I indicated that we would tip well - LOL) so we ended up getting him. BEST decision of the whole trip. Mike was cool, made the trip memorable. If you've never cave tubed before, just know that is gets a little cold inside the caves. Also, the Carnival sponsored excursions are more money and it doesn't include the river float at the end and it also doesn't include the most excellent chicken lunch at the end. Just a head's up. Great day!

Walked around the shopping area some and then took a taxi to one of the beach resorts. We were originally going to go to the Money Bar as I had heard that the off shore snorkeling was good there, but when we drove up, we could see that the beach was very rocky. Our cab driver suggested Mr. Sancho's so we went there. When you get there, they will try to sell you the $50.00/pp all inclusive package, but I had seen where it was only $30.00 online. We ended up just doing the a la carte, ordering a few drinks and chips/salsa and for 6 of us, it was only around $50.00 for the day. They have local vendors there selling stuff, which I prefer to buy from. You can also parasail, $65.00/pp, or get a wristband to play on the water toys, but we didn't do any of that. Just swam; snorkeling not great.

We were approached by one of the vendors to go to an area closer to town, but I hadn't done any research on that area. In hindsight, might have been OK, since we spent $35.00 each way to go to Mr. Sancho's. Sorry, can't remember what the name of the place was or the exact amount, but it seemed like $150.00 for our group and we spent about that much anyway without the all-inclusive part.

Read 3138 Cozumel Reviews

Went to Sting Ray City - I think everyone probably has to do this their first time in G. Cayman. Amazing creatures! Of course we kissed it. Did another Island Marketing tour but had a late tender in and thought we were late. Not to worry as G. Cayman time is an hour later, so as it turned out, we had almost 1 1/2 hours to shop in the little area there - too much actually. I wish we could have left 1/2 hour sooner and had that time at the end so not to be stuck in the long tender line. The best part of the tour for me was the relaxing ride out, laying in the sun on the top of the boat with music playing in the background. After interacting with the stingrays, we stopped at 2 additional snorkel spots for about an 1/2 hour each. The wind was a little strong, so swimming out to the reef was a little difficult. Ended up seeing more fish right by the boat. In my opinion, the snorkeling in Belize is better.

Ended up just staying at Mahogany Bay cruise center as it was a short port day. Had wanted to zip line, so we did it right there at Clip-and-Zip. My first experience at zip lining was last year in Costa Rica. All I can say, it seemed different - both positives and negatives. I felt crowded on the platforms as you come across in groups with your guides. The positive, is that you get to see your whole group zip, but I didn't like having 12-15 people all on the same platform. Yes, MBCC is all the same shopping as elsewhere and the beach area is man-made but the water is amazing. I wasn't dressed for swimming but went in clothes and all just because I HAD TO!
Read 1660 Roatan Reviews