Disney Dream Cruise Review by wysfam@aol.com: Multi Generation Family Cruise a Dream on the Dream

wysfam@aol.com
Member Since 2009

Family & Children 4.7

Compare Prices on Disney Dream Bahamas Cruises

Multi Generation Family Cruise a Dream on the Dream

Sail Date: April 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Hoping to give some tips for this new ship. I have been on 2 Carnival, 2 Royal and 2 Disney Cruises. This one had a 6, 14, 17, 73 and 75 year old plus ourselves. We had 3 cabins, 5020, 5022 and 5044. The cabins MADE the cruise.

The secret on 5018, 5020, 5022, 5518, 5520, 5522, 6018, 6020, 6022, 6518, 6520, 6522 will be out soon. These are square rooms about 16 x 20 feet so yes, they are bigger. The portholes are large with a cushion in the window so you can watch the outside view, unobstructed, no tender boats in the way. I would take the 55 side over the 50 side because it has a better view of Nassau and Castaway Cay but really, if you are lucky enough to get one of these 12 rooms, snatch them up. 5020 and 5022 were adjoining which we did for 5 of us. Felt like a huge suite. There is a half divider wall between the bed and the sofa bed, 2 TVs, 2 closets, 2 storage cabinets/desks PER ROOM so with the adjoining rooms, we had 4 of these spaces. WOW! The bathrooms are More small, only one per room with no split shower room, but I'll trade that for space any day.

Our parents were in a balcony down the hall in 5044 and the balcony's on 5 in this front section are LONGER than any floor above for a regular balcony room. Look at the deck prints, they are accurate so choose your room early. I reserved over a year in advance and word will get out.

Embarkation tips, if you arrive at 11:45, you will be with everyone else. Disney told us arriving at 2:00 is better, no lines, everyone comes early. Because we had a person with a walker with us, they let us get an earlier boarding time so a tip if someone with a disability with you. Just ask at the boarding area.

Ate at Remy's and Palos and completely enjoyed Palos better for food, service and ambiance. Remy's stuffy. Lobster appetizer and Beef Wagu (may not be spelling that right) outstanding at Remy's but otherwise, nothing grabbed us there. It's early, maybe they'll figure that out soon. Remy's atmosphere better than Wonder and Magic, upgraded surroundings and view so that was lovely. Enjoyed EVERY course, especially the beef and souffle, and service friendlier. That being said, enjoyed the splurge for both locations as the food in the regular restaurants just so so. Enchanted Garden early seating not so enchanting, you can't tell lights are changing. They serve good bread but silly spreads at each restaurant. Not kid friendly. My guess is they'll start to figure out what people like and don't. Doesn't mean we left hungry, but not Royal Caribbean standard, so the dinners at Remy and Palo's excellent by comparison. Kids enjoyed the interaction with Crush at the the Animator's Palette, but that's all that was special, nothing else changed colors...

Teen program and area unbelievable. Saw our 14 year old at dinner, that's it. Made 100 new facebook friends. We toured the space and it was fantastic, I wanted to hang out there! And of course the children's program also great. Our daughter didn't leave the arts and crafts space. We were there on spring break with over 400 teenagers and 1000 children, but the space remained organized and never felt over crowded. Crazy good.

Shows just ok. In order of showing, Golden Mickey's ok, Villains needed to shorten it up and not focus on so many obscure villains, Hypnotist fun even though we have seen him before and Believe not as good as the final show on the Wonder (i think Dreams?) It was good, not great. I'm surprised because I felt the 4 show combination we had on Wonder 2 years ago was better. Still, the six year old was mesmerized and the 14 year old skipped it - in the teen center, told you we didn't see him.

Nassau just not my favorite place. Had a Segway tour that got screwed up and though not charged, just not a good place for excursions. Wish Disney could find a better stop on the 4 day cruise. Castaway Cay always fun and this year, we went to the adult beach, Serenity Bay. WOW what a difference from the family beach. We found wildlife in the water (star fish, slugs, sand dollars), swam out to the sand bar, quiet, secluded, uncrowded. If your kids are ok in the children's program, grab some adult time at Serenity Bay. So much nicer than the craziness of the main beach.

Brought our own alcohol in the suitcases which saved a boat load. Also brought some plastic glasses that came in very handy. Didn't need any shampoo or conditioner, nice amenities in the room. Adult pool also pretty quiet. Aqua Duck fun and teens had their own time for it so wait for that slot. Kids pools just so crowded so don't focus the kids on the pools. Watched the NCAA final game on the Funnel Vision with the entire boat. That was a hoot! Disney should definately focus on those kind of events at night if they exist. I think they would even get huge crowds for the Bachelor or Dancing with the Stars (ABC tie in...)

Had a Senses massage and very nice but very pricey. Did it on the At Sea day which you have to reserve early because they fill up that day. I signed up for Stone Massage and did not clarify the 50 vs 75 minute and got the latter, pricey and not necessary so be sure to make sure you know what you are signing up to receive.

And finally, if you have kids under 10, they WILL want to do the detective scavenger hunt. My daughter was obsessed for 2 days. Great fun and so creative. Disney should put these in their parks, lines would diminish because kids looking for clues (instead of hidden mickey's.) Only sad part was when the mystery was solved. Hope you add more mystery's, this is a BIG hit.

Finally when you Debark, you Don't have to stand in the long line. Have a nice breakfast, clean up in your room and head out when you are ready. The longest line you will wait in is to see Princesses. They will need to have a daily princess photo op, girls couldn't get enough. Gotta believe that's a money maker for Disney. Would do a Toy Story line too if I were them, but then again, I'm sure this boat will pay for itself quickly. Well Done! We'll be back! Less

Read more Disney Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Dream Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom Deck 5

5020, 5022 fantastic space,see my review. You won't be sorry on 8A classifications. 5044 and 5th floor balcony suites have longer balconies. Look at the deck charts to see them.