Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by jam47

Celebrity Solstice
Member Name: jam47
Cruise Date: March 2011
Cabin Category: C3
See More About: Celebrity Solstice Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Entertainment Not Rated

Great time on the Solstice
My husband and I booked relatively last-minute on the Solstice on the advice of our travel agent. She said we would enjoy the ship and concierge class and she was right. Having sailed last on the much larger Ruby Princess, we were pleased with the size and decor of the Solstice. I particularly liked the central atrium with the glass elevators.

Our agent did advise us that the norovirus had been present on the previous sailing, and as a result we would have a later embarkation so they could sanitize the ship. I had read in the member reviews that Celebrity had taken all precautions following a January sailing norvirus outbreak and so I expected that they would do so again. I was extremely impressed with how they handled it, from having staff with hand-sanitizer on embarkation, and at each food service place. They were constantly wiping down handrails and sanitizing tables in the buffet and restaurants. Food was served to us in all areas until mid-week, when they returned to self-service in the buffets and returned the salt and pepper shakers to the table.

Our stateroom was nicely appointed, with a decent sized balcony. I loved the shower in the bathroom as opposed to having to climb into a tub. One of the only things we didn't like about the stateroom was the sofa, which wasn't very comfortable. Having said that, we spent a lot of time on the balcony anyway so it wasn't a big deal. We had two great stateroom attendants.

The food was excellent and the service attentive in the dining room, for breakfast, lunch or dinner. They also had "normal" portion sizes, so that if you had a couple of courses you didn't feel like you were served too much food (as opposed to Princess who seemed to feel that each course had to be super-sized). We had a wonderful meal in the Tuscan Grill, and had the best seats right beside the floor to ceiling windows where we had a great view from the back of the ship. I was disappointed in the Asian Silk restaurant, and even sent one dish back. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his meal there, however. They did agree to remove my cover charge.

For a couple of lunches we went to the Aquaspa Cafe. This was a real treat, as it's in the adults-only solarium by the spa, and features very healthy salads and small plates. We also had breakfast here on disembarkation day with only a few other people around. So peaceful.

We had several spa treatments, and were pleased with the quality of the staff. The spa is run by the company that makes Elemis products, so expect to be sold to. But they aren't pushy and respect your right to say no thanks.

Others have commented on the hot glass show and I echo that it's really worth seeing. The glass pieces are created by glass artisans who are graduates of schools of art or who have apprenticed with masters. Fascinating to watch!

Overall we were very impressed with the Celebrity Solstice as a ship and for the professional and friendly staff. We will definitely try the ship again for another itinerary.

Publication Date: 04/11/11