Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by MomtoLJ: Oasis of the Seas - with kids 12 & 9

MomtoLJ
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Oasis of the Seas - with kids 12 & 9

Sail Date: March 2011

My family went on the Oasis of the Seas for a 7 night eastern Caribbean trip to Nassau, St. Thomas, & St. Martin. I have 2 girls, ages 12 & 9. We loved the Oasis of the Seas...it was fantastic! We had never cruised Royal Caribbean before and were anxious to see what it was like. In the past, we have mainly cruised with Disney, and one cruise with Carnival on the Glory. I wanted to write this review to share some things that I did not know before the cruise.

Dining:

The main dining room, Opus, does not allow short pants. So, make sure you bring cropped pants, skirts, etc. to stay within the dress code. I think this rule is ridiculous since you are on vacation, but it is what it is. Also, there are two "formal" nights. People really get dressed up for this. If you plan on eating in the main dining room, definitely bring dress clothes (dress or skirt for women, shirt, tie, jacket for men). Otherwise, you will definitely feel out of place. We had dinner More at Giovanni's Table one night and it was great. Other than that, we hit Sorrento's for pizza, Opus dining room, Windjammer, and Park Cafe. Windjammer's a bit crazy at times, but does have variety. Food was so-so at Windjammer. Cupcakes are great in the Cupcake Cupboard, but the rest of dessert on the cruise was just okay.

Cabins:

We had a Boardwalk Balcony cabin, and it was rather small for the 4 of us. When the sofa bed was open for the girls, there was literally a one foot wide path through the room to the balcony. It drove me nuts! I managed to fit everything in the room, but a chair and end table ended up out on the balcony. I saw a lot of other rooms doing the same thing. The noise level on the Boardwalk was high, but when the sliding balcony door was shut and locked, I would say 99% of the noise was blocked out.

Shows:

Awesome....Broadway quality. We saw Oasis of Dreams, Hairspray, Frozen in Time, Come Fly with Me...all terrific! Make reservations for these shows online before your cruise.

Ports of Call:

We went to Nassau, St. Thomas & St. Martin. We didn't get off the ship in Nassau...we have been there many times and wanted to spend the day exploring what the ship offered. In St. Thomas, we took a "taxi" to Magens Bay Beach. Taxi was a open air truck-thing that drove crazy over steep mountain roads. YIKS, that's about all I have to say on that! Magens Bay was beautiful, but incredibly crowded and the facilities are pretty run-down. I think we would try going to St. Johns if we ever stop there again. In St. Martin, we went on a ship excursion to the Butterfly Farm...it was really nice, my girls loved it. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. We got some terrific pics. Stopped in Phillipsburg on the way back for shopping and lunch...great shopping, cute town, beach looked beautiful...took a water taxi back to the ship.

All in all we had a great time. Service was good, embarkation was smooth, and staff was very helpful. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>