Crown Princess Cruise Review by allnewsanchor: Spring break vaca with the family

allnewsanchor
Member Since 2009

Family & Children 2.0

Compare Prices on Crown Princess Western Caribbean Cruises

Spring break vaca with the family

Sail Date: March 2011

This was the first time on Princess for my wife, the kids, and me. My mother-in-law is a Platinum member.

The Crown Princess is a lovely ship. The food was excellent for the most part. Some nights the menu wasn't exactly thrilling, but what we received was tasty. Breakfasts and lunches on the buffet line were always good. One pleasant surprise was lobster claws late at night on the "at sea" days. Our wait staff was outstanding.

The onboard camp for kids was fair. Our teen had a great time. The tween didn't find it very appealing, nor did the 9-year-old.

The ports were new to my wife and kids, though I had been to all before. Roatan, which I visited in 2002, has come a long way. It's really a great place to visit now... and as beautiful as I remember it.

Now for the main negatives. The adults met in Crooners piano bar before dinner for cocktail hour. On two of the nights, bar service via waiter was atrocious. I had to go to the bar and order because they More were understaffed and slow. My mother-in-law was not issued a platinum card key, so she needed to go to the Captain's Circle desk to straighten things out. The officer there was rude and argumentative... essentially telling her she was not the multiple repeat passenger she was.

The major issue was disembarkation. The rest of the family was ahead of us. They went through. We put our card keys in the slot and we're both flagged. My wife was told it was something with her card key and a bill at the photo shop. She had to go back to the main desk, where she found out it was a photo shop employee screw-up. The person had taken her card for payment, but wrote down the wrong room, so payment was never made. She tries to pay with a credit card, but the computer is down. Fortunately she had enough cash with her to take care of it. Meanwhile, our family is down in the terminal wondering where the hell we are. Then she comes back and asks for her card to exit again. They can't find it. Finally they do. She puts it in the slot and is flagged again. No one at the front desk corrected the account in the computer. My wife said she's leaving the ship whether they like it or not. It was a complete abortion, train wreck, call it what you will. And it put a total damper on the cruise. Less

Read more Crown Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Crown Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Crown Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Baja

Our balcony cabin on Aloha deck was okay, though the shower stall was the only one I have experienced where two people cannot truly fit inside.

Roatan has so much more to see and do than when I was there in '02. Friendly folks, beautiful island, new cruise port w/ a chairlift tram to the beach. Tip: go to the independent tour shack and book a trip to the monkey park (NOT the zoo...it has monkeys, too, but is expensive). It's a whole lot of fun and very reasonable. Short drive, too. The monkeys are playful and a riot.
Read 1651 Roatan Reviews