Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by bryiank

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by bryiank
Adventure of the Seas
Adventure of the Seas
Member Name: bryiank
Cruise Date: March 2011
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: H
See More About: Adventure of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

25th anniversary cruise on Adventure
Well we just got back from our cruise on Adventure of the Seas to the Southern Caribbean. We had a great time visiting Curacao, Aruba, Dominica and St. Thomas. We selected this cruise because we wanted to hit some ports we had not seen before. Overall the cruise was fine, as usual we ate too much, stayed up too late and generally had a good time.

Ports: we enjoyed Aruba and Curacao. We took a tour and walked around town and it was interesting to ports with such character and European influences. Dominica wasn't our favorite. The town really isn't much. We didn't take a tour because we really aren't able to hike much and as steamy as it was we were glad we didn't. If hiking in a rain forest is your thing I think you will like this stop though. We loved St. Thomas. We did the Turtle Cove snorkel and it was really nice. Great crew on the Doubloon and great location. We saw turtles, squid, barracuda and many small fish. I did the power snorkel which was worth it I thought. I covered a lot of area and saw things I would have missed under my own steam. It takes a bit to get used to but once you have it the unit works great. I walked around town in the afternoon which was very nice. I chose to walk to town which is about 1.5 miles to get to the shops.

As for our impressions of the ship, we thought it was nice overall. We had 7506 which had 2 portals and was a big corner room. We really liked the location. As some mentioned the ship has a little wear but they were painting and cleaning all the time so until they do a overhaul I think they are maintaining it well. They did have a pipe burst on the other side of 7 and a number of people didn't have a room as of late the first night. They were fixing the pipe and laying new carpet in each room that evening.

Shows: we felt the talent tried hard but the stage shows didn't really impress us. I think they were more small stage Vegas than Broadway. 3 of the 4 acts that they brought in were good. The Revolution a Beatles group was great. The ice show was excellent.

Food: we surely ate enough but we felt the food was uneven as to quality. Windjammer breakfast had everything that you would expect and was good. Lunch was pretty good as well. There were always lots of choices. The dining room was OK to good. Some nights I didn't know what to choose. I usually get 2 entrees not overeat but try different things I don't usually order. There was once or twice where neither was that good. There was always a good appetizer and dessert choice. Sugar free desserts were always good.

One note on service: we had a good team but it seemed the way the dining room we were in operated was to leave plates on the table until the next item came. Quite often we were reaching over plates for a while until the main came. They were able to accommodate us with a table for two though and that was nice for an anniversary cruise.

Ship spaces: They have the Promenade/ shopping space which is nice. It has a cafe and pub. It is a big space but there are specific things they focus on. Watches, jewelry and nice clothes. They have a few nick-knacks but more of the pricier stuff. We were surprised that they didn't even have sunscreen unless you went to the perfume store and it was $30. They do parades here and they seem to be well done. There are other clubs and bars as well as the casino. The ice rink and theater are nice spaces and seem to be pretty up to date in technology. The main pool and solarium pool are nice too. They also have a chapel and sports deck with mini-golf, climbing wall and b-ball.

I think you would enjoy this cruise as we did. It sure beats being home on a 40 degree rainy week. And as they say on the closing show no one at home is going to make you a towel animal.

Publication Date: 04/08/11