Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by GreenEyedDarlin

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by GreenEyedDarlin
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Liberty
Member Name: GreenEyedDarlin
Cruise Date: March 2011
Cabin Category: 4B

Had a great time...
My 18 year old niece and I (39 year old single female) went on this cruise, wanting some adventure and relaxation. I think we got it. :)

Got to Ft Lauderdale airport and took SAS shuttle to the Miami port. Embarkation was a breeze. Landed at the airport around 10:45 and was eating lunch on the liberty by 12:30. I had cruised before on the Carnival Conquest which is exactly the same as the Liberty so it was easy getting around for me. Just remember that the only 2 decks that you can go from one end of the ship to the other is the 5th and 9th (Lido and Promenade) decks.

Room: Our room was a smaller one, but it had more than enough space for us. We rarely saw our room steward but the room was always clean and the few times we called for something, it was there in minutes.

Dining experience: We loved the people that we were seated with. We felt the food was good but the company totally made the cruise so much more enjoyable. The last time I cruised with a close friend and we were at a table by ourselves, this was so much more fun. There was a lot of time between the courses which would have been annoying except that it gave us more time with our dining companions.

Shows: The Juggler, Edge, is not to be missed if possible. He was a phenomenal juggler and a great comedian as well. We got to see 4 comedians as two where just leaving and two coming in. Did not like Brad T, loved Phat Kat, thought the ventriloquist was better seen when it was the family show, he was funnier, and William was funny. The big shows that Carnival put on were nothing special, and the one called Around the World...boring and not worth watching in my opinion. We thought the Newlywed game was so so so funny. Todd (the cruise director) did a great job on that.

Misc: My niece enjoyed laying out on sea days and basting in the sun. I was more of a sun and dash kinda girl. I enjoyed going in and sitting on the Promenade deck, people watching.

Over all, it was a great cruise and I would do it again.

Jamaica: In my opinion this was the funniest port...and the one to have the most caution in. Based on the reviews from CC, I chose Courtney Taylor as our guide. In 2007 when I went to Jamaica, all we did was hang out at the Sunset Resort and I felt like I never got to see Jamaica. So this time, I contacted Courtney and arranged for a private tour of the rain forest, waterfall diving in the Blue Hole, some shopping, lunch at a local restaurant. It was nothing like I thought. First Courtney was busy with another group, so he sent his brother, Orville. And we had other people with us. Who wanted to go to Dunns River Falls...which we didn't. So Orville drove us to DRF and dropped them off, then took us into the Rainforest and to the Blue Hole. We stayed there 15 minutes, it was beautiful and amazing and I would recommend it to anyone who likes to go someplace NOT touristy. On the way back to pick up the other folks, he told my niece about tubing down a river. She was all over that so he dropped us off and we got a tube and a guide, Dwight. It was $20pp. This was the highlight of our cruise. Dwight was wonderful, he answered questions, sang songs, helped my niece jump off a diving ledge into a deep part of the river, and helped us out of the river when it was over and stayed there until our driver came back. Then our driver took us to the shopping area...this is where it was not scary exactly but the Jamaicans are high sell...they don't let up. It was hard for me so we left after just a few stores. After everyone was done, Orville took us to a local restaurant, Miss T's. The ambiance was very nice. The service though was lousy. No menus, the waitress acted like we were bothering her, several of asked for jerked chicken, she said they didn't have any, our driver talked to her, she came back and said 3 of us could order it. The dish was ok. The prices were ok. Orville said he would drive us to a beach but most of us were just ready to go back to the ship so that is what we did.

Publication Date: 04/07/11