Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by 123c45a

Cruise Date: February 2011
Embarkation: Sydney
Destination: Asia
Cabin Category: D5
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Asia Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Review of QM2
We have just returned from a cruise on QM2 embarking in Sydney and disembarking on the 25th March in Singapore.

I make the following observations in the hope that Cunard will make improvements in certain areas.

This was my 'retirement' cruise - the reward for working 45 years so it was very important to me.

With all cruises, each of us has different expectations. For my husband, who is a very good cook, food was the main interest and he was disappointed in the standard. For me, I found the food in the Brittania restaurant to be of good quality and having sampled Todd English, Chef's Galley and the Lotus, I didn't find that it was worth paying extra to eat there as the food wasn't any better than that of the Brittania.

We had the late seating at 8.30 pm and the entertainment which commenced at 10:45 PM was too late for us.Occasionally, there was a 7 pm performance for those on late seating and we attended a few of these. Generally, we found the performers mediocre.

Our inside cabin was kept very clean and was more than adequate. Also our table steward in Brittania was exceptional.

There was always serious queueing in the casual dining area on deck 7, particularly noticeable at breakfast where passengers were not permitted to toast their own bread because of a 'duty of care',but elderly people carried trays of food and hot cups of tea back to their table and to me, that is worse.

For me, the day trips to Japan and China were the highlights and the tours didn't disappoint.However,when we boarded QM2, we found tickets in our cabin which we hadn't booked but had been charged to our account so we were very vigilant checking our account as it wasn't the first mistake made.

I agree with the review by OZY3oy3 with regards to the Vietnam tour which resulted in a considerable number of passengers waiting on the pier for up to 40 minutes in the hot sun at the conclusion of their tour for tenders back to the ship.And we did a night cruise of Hong Kong harbour where the'refreshments' provided consisted of copious quantities of red wine, coke and whisky but there was no food available for purchase and we got back to QM2 around 10:30PM,too late for dinner. Two of the passengers on that tour became seriously intoxicated and one of them had a fall on the slippery deck of the tour boat.Communication, overall, was inadequate.

Dressing up at night didn't bother me,nor did the class system on board QM2. The cruise was secondary to seeing China and Japan.It was great to unpack for a few weeks and have a day at sea in between ports.

People's dressing standards varied. I would take less formal wear next time and more casual gear as evening clothes are only worn for a few hours in the scheme of things and as the average age group was late 60's to late 80's, most of us didn't look nearly as glamorous as the brochures indicate. Hope this review is helpful.

Ports visited-Wellington,Auckland, Guam, Osaka, Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Nha Trang, Laem Chabang, Singapore

Publication Date: 04/07/11