Carnival Pride Cruise Review by nadeus

Cruise Date: March 2011
Embarkation: Baltimore
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: 8M
See More About: Carnival Pride Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Cruise Credit of $25 - an insult.
RE: Carnival Pride ship that set sail from Baltimore on March 27th and returned to Baltimore on April 3rd.

Cabin # : 5295

What was supposed to be a nice vacation, since it was my first cruise, turned out to be blah and hum drum because the above named ship and dates of the cruise were plagued by foul weather incidents.

Go to the usatoday.com site and look up the story on March 31st about the Carnival Pride being pushed away from the dock by an 85knot wind gust. What the story does not tell you is that 500 or so guests were stranded on the dock and waited 3+ hours to be brought on board. They were generously given a bottle of water and for the smaller children granola bar while they waited (do you consider a bottle of water a nice gesture - I guess so if one was thirsty.) Some people were put on a bus for a trip to another dock only to be told to disembark because the boat could not move. No one was hurt when the boat pushed away from the gang plank and the dock. That was a blessing. However............

No one can control the weather and no matter where or when the vacation or trip = it is what it is.

The failure of the captain and his crew and the cruise line to handle the loss of one port of call at Nassau had adverse effect on the sailing because those of us on the cruise were given one extra day at sea (oh WOW we already had 4 days scheduled who wants another one in place of a port of call) and an unbelieveable sum of $25 credit each on our bills .

Really , can you believe $25 to replace the missed port of call, which I might say when I spoke with what seemed like hundreds of my fellow passengers the most anticipated and desired port of call. Yes, the boat refunded all excursion packages booked thru the cruise line for Nassau, but Freeport did

did not have anything to offer. There was a straw market that everyone ran off the ship to visit just to get off the ship and then the next morning a gusty rain storm that caused the other excursions booked to be cancelled.

So in the case of my family (there were six of us - 4 in another cabin),we had approximately 4 hours at Cocca Beach, FLA., which included 1 hour on the beach, lunch and shopping and the bus trip to and from the beach on Wednesday March 30th, 2011; and another 45 minutes at a beach in Freeport after the Friday April 1st, 2011 morning storm. We had to be back on the ship by 1:30 pm to set sail back to Baltimore.

I will not go on a cruise again. The food was good and the company fine. Some activities interested me but I was not a big fan of the comedians. Due to the weather, we had limited ability to use the pools (it was just plain cold the first two days and the heated spa type pools were jam packed all the time with people trying to have some water time but not freeze.)

I cannot get into the maneuvers of the crew in or about the technical difficulties with the anchor and frayed and snapped ropes because that is not my field of expertise. I can say that there were a lot of my fellow passengers with opinions about the lack of or poor judgment call of the captain to skip Nassau.

However, I could have forgiven the loss of a major port of call if the amount credited to my account would have been more than $25.

Come on , world out there, $25 from this big Cruise line to each passenger - that is an insult. Many of you probably have booked this ship. It could be listed as the economy section or seating if it were a airplane ride, I think. Carnival definitely has more expensive cruise lines which would be considered up grades. But the Spirit line (of which the Pride is a member) is feasible in these times if you have allotted monies for a vacation.

It is just that $25 credit. Putting it mildly it stinks.

I really think the line needs to give us back more money or make it right somehow. I do not want another cruise from Carnival as I stated above. I just want to be compensated. The time has past for the vacation but the bad feeling I have has not, nor will it. I have all ready told all my fellow employees where I work not to go on Carnival if they plan a cruise and I am now going to post this letter on as many sites as I can to let others out there in the real world know how we were treated to a $25 credit in lieu of the Nassau port of call.

Publication Date: 04/07/11