Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by laperuza

Member Name: laperuza
Cruise Date: March 2011
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Cabin Category: K
See More About: Jewel of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Panama Canal & Central America Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Spa & Fitness 5+
        3-6 5.0

Best Itinerary in Caribbean
We took a flight from Charleston, WV to FLL by Spirit Airlines. Their service was unexpectedly good, not talking about the price: cheaper than possible. Unlike others I like their luggage rules and fees: because of that you can really enjoy the travel with a lot of free space above and under the seat.

We stayed at Hilton before the cruise which was Ok. Not very clean and with fees for almost everything but close to the airport and sea port.

Embarkation was pretty fast and smooth. About the ship: I personally like Radiance design, but it definitely concedes Voyager class: especially missing ice skating ring and promenade.

We had interior stateroom this time: room attendant was doing a very good job and was actually listening to what we were asking for.

Dining and food was Ok: we dine at the main restaurant and 3 times at Windjammer. To my surprise Windjammer had the same or even better selection of food for dinner.

We always take Royal Caribbean shore excursions and they did not disappoint us this time either except of maybe Panama a little bit. Ports of call were great for this cruise. Do not miss Cartagena!!! Palace of Inquisition, old city and fortress is something! Of course it is not even close to Spain old cities, but definitely the oldest and one of the best history places in South and North America. Panama Canal was Ok, but nothing really special for me, since I grew next to the river and still remember big locks from my childhood. Panama is also very dirty and I'd avoid traveling there on your own. Costa Rica was pretty nice place, not very clean but a "surgery room" comparing to Panama. We did train and banana plantation trip: very informative and knowledgeable guy talked all the time and explained almost everything. Need to mention Labadie and Grand Cayman: both places have very good beaches, but Cayman is much better in my opinion.

Entertainment was pretty good especially live music and Jewel of the Sea orchestra. Shows were so-so but overall I'd give them at least 4 stars.

Few words about children's activities: it is maybe the only thing I was a little disappointed. Our daughter is 3 years old and the swimming pool and all amenities there were for at least 5 years old kids. But the stuff was very helpful and friendly.

Now I am seriously thinking about Transatlantic cruise with Royal Caribbean.

Publication Date: 04/06/11