Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by fishn4sun: NCL PEARL-Good but could have been better

fishn4sun
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Norwegian Pearl Western Caribbean Cruises

NCL PEARL-Good but could have been better

Sail Date: March 2011

I have been on 11 cruises. This was the cleanest ship I have ever been on. For a fairly new ship [born 2004] it was lacking the new super screens. The presentations in the main theater were projected on what looked like a hanging white tarp. The movie screen in the lobby was also very poor.

Food - very average - All of the food on the buffet was barely warm if you didn't order something like an omelet that was made to order.

Entertainment - may have been ok if it wasn't turned up so loud that I had to put my fingers in my ears. I finally just didn't attend any more shows or night clubs. I don't mind loud music but this was beyond loud.

Free Style Cruising - I like the old style where you have a designated waiter and table each night. You seem to develop a friendship with them by weeks end unlike with the free style that they seem just not to care too much about you. Most didn't even converse with us.

I know that the cruise lines are having as More much difficulty making ends meet as all businesses but the prices onboard and at some of the islands are getting out of hand. I drank a bottle of water that was on my desk upon arrival, thinking it may have been a courtesy bottle because it wasn't in the mini bar, only to find it cost me $6.05. The drink of the day ran about $8-$10. A bottle of beer was $5.50 + tax which comes to a little over $6.00. The cruise lines should realize we may drink more if they weren't so expensive.

Could not open door on the balcony to adjoin our friend's room. That was a bummer.

We did our own shore excursions a LOT cheaper at the dock.

Still had a great time. This was our first cruise with a private balcony, which became a life saver. Don't think I could go back in an interior room. Less

Read more Norwegian Pearl cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Pearl Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Pearl Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Eight

Great balcony---Extra seating room with a couch--Closet too close to the bed. Fantastic bathroom with full tub/shower and separate commode room--Needed lounge chair on the deck. We had adjoining rooms on the deck that they would not let us open.

Booked a tour with a local company. Took us lots of places. There are no beaches in Belize unless you go to an out island. I do not recommend booking an excursion outside of the compound. The tender ride in was very fast. I don't think I would go back but I do understand the diving/snorkeling is good if you like that stuff.

I am beginning to believe that the islands think all travelers are rich. A lot of the prices in most of the shops are ridiculous however you can bargain with them the if you like to do that. We found a shop a short walk out of the port that was really good. The port is new and is very nice. This was my favorite island on my trip.

Boy have then cleaned this place up since my last visit. Port is very nice. We docked at Mallory Square. Found one nice shop for reasonable souvenirs. We took the trolley and went around town. Next time I will rent one of the little cars.
Read 734 Key West Reviews

Too expensive in the stores the ship recommends. They didn't have the more affordable shopping except on top of a mountain we were taken. Beautiful view of the entire island. Booked our excursion with a local company. It was excellent. He took us all over the island and then to Bananrama beach where we sat under the palms and had a few rum punches for 2 for $5.00. Didn't cost to get on the beach where the one the ship's excursion was $59.
Read 1646 Roatan Reviews