Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by WeCruiseEveryDay

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by WeCruiseEveryDay
Sapphire Princess
Sapphire Princess
Member Name: WeCruiseEveryDay
Cruise Date: March 2011
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
See More About: Sapphire Princess Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Hi Jyoti
The review just prior to ours prompted me to take the time to provide our thoughts. We had many similar thoughts. For a basis, we have been on about 41 cruises since an early age. This is the first Princess cruise in about 12 years. We are regular Royal and Canival cruisers.

Let me go over the positive first.....

KidsZone

We have 2 boys, ages 5 and 7. They could not wait to go up to the kids zone each day. The people were awesome and our boys had a great time. There were really unique projects to keep them entertained. The room was clean. Everyone was just so nice.

Embark/Debark

So smooth. Great help. Great Porters.

Rooms

We had an interior and a balcony room. Big hint: Get a balcony on deck 11 or above and you will not have people looking over you. The rooms were nice and just a wee bit bigger than other Mexican cruise ships. Showers were good for cruise ships and room service was great each morning. Our room steward Romano was nothing to write home about, the room was clean, but nothing special.

Photographer

We could not believe how long the photographer spent with us prior to the 1st formal night dinner. We got there at 5:10 (dinner at 5:30) and he spent 15 minutes getting some great pictures of our family. I highly recommend trying to get there early. It was worth it. Thank you!

Mix of + and -

The Food

Ok, there was plenty of bad food. I mean really bad. The English pub day needs to go asap. And, the steakhouse had by far the worst steaks we have ever had. Aleksy, our waiter in the steakhouse, extra charge, needs to go asap. When customers complain about their food, Aleksy should really say something. Instead, he just walked away. Terrible. That all being said, it is a cruise, if you don't like something, order something else. Each night we were able to find good tasty food that easily beat the food on carnival and maybe even Royal too. The lobster was well cooked. The pizza at Prego is by far the best on the seas...just wish they were open late night, they close at 7pm???? The ice cream bar was a hit. And, be sure to try the burgers and chicken at Trident, all very good.

The Pool

We have kids, but we also watch over them and don't just leave them at the pool by themselves. We all found all the pools to be very nice. This ship has a nice conservatory, so on cooler days, an indoor pool is really great to have. The only issue is that the water was quite cold on the last 2 days.

Casino

My wife and I really enjoy cruising during the day. But, at night, our boys are at the kis zone and we just don't enjoy the shows. So, we go to the casino. Let reiterate from the previous review....these slot machines were THE WORST we have ever seen, anywhere. We played all 5 nights and never cashed out at a single machine. EVER! This was basically just a casino where you could play Blackjack, Craps, or Roulette and if you win take it over to slots for "entertainment" and throw it away. We were in the casino A LOT and never saw anyone win although we did hear of someone winning $2500. The positive? The casino staff, the waiters and waitresses were awesome. Most of the dealers were really great (especially Jyoti who should be employee of the year). Here's a good one-the casino host Teatri (sp?) would often offer to buy us a drink. We counted 7 times. She bought us a drink 2 times. I can afford a $3 beer, so please don't offer and then not follow up. I would rather just get it myself. The poker is with a computerized PokerPro table. The only time it was in use was during 1 hour poker tourneys. The blinds on tourneys go up so fast, it becomes bingo after about 30 minutes of play. I have no idea why they can't make it go slower. I am sure the players would contribute to pay the electric bill. How about a free coffee when playing????

The Bad

Same as the last review. The mini golf is a total joke. It needs to either be updated or scraped. I am glad I scouted it out prior to my family seeing it. The internet guy Sergi is terrible. He could care less about customer service. Be real careful when using the internet. Make sure you sign out over and over and save a copy of the screen showing you have signed out. Elite cruisers (all cruisers) should be treated much better than Sergi treated us.

We had a great time. Cruising to us is about finding the most fun, best food, best people...and leaving all our worries behind. Even though there were some issues, there is always something else to do. If you don't like something, change what you are doing. If you can't change it, change the way you look at it.

Publication Date: 04/03/11