Emerald Princess Cruise Review by aubrey08: My thoughts on the Emerald Princess

Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Emerald Princess Eastern Caribbean Cruises

My thoughts on the Emerald Princess

Sail Date: March 2011

I thought getting on the cruise was a little confusing. No one really told us where to go, they just gave us a number. We got there early, 11am and there weren't that many people yet. Slowly the room started to fill up. There were seats, so at least we were able to sit down. We got a group 1 number so after the elite and gold members boarded, we were able to get on. We were super excited as not that many people got on before us. We ran to our room right away and called the dining line in the hopes to get on the chef's table list. The room we got was on the Lido deck, room 238. We wanted to be on the floor with the pools, buffet, where things were happening. It was a cozy room, comfy for 2 people and our 2 huge suitcases. Having a balcony is a must. It's nice just being able to sit outside, it also made the room appear larger. My complaints would be the shower, it's tiny. I'm 5'2 and 100 pounds, I can't imagine a taller, larger person trying to take a shower in there without getting More stuck. My boyfriend is 5'8 and 155 pounds and he thought the shower was small. I also wish they changed the shower curtain. The white curtain was gray on the bottom which kind of grossed me out. Shower itself and bathroom was clean. The two double beds pushed together was comfy. My problem was with the goose down pillows. I kept getting stabbed in the face with feathers that would poke out. Perhaps thicker pillowcases would help this problem. The fridge stayed cold, I read some people had problems, but ours was fine. I would say do not leave chocolate on the top of the ref, it gets hot and even though the ref is in the cabinet, the wood gets hot. It melted my chocolate! I brought my own blowdryer, didn't like the one in the room.

Enough about the room...Food, food is important. I love to eat good food. Living in Chicago, I've gotten spoiled on huge portions and good food. We paid extra and tried the Crown Grill one night. An extra $25 a person. We both ordered a ribeye and also got lobster tails, a side of mashed potatoes and cream of corn. We also got appetizers and soup. Appetizer, I can't recall what I got, so it must have been okay. Soup, I got the shrimp bisque, didn't care for it at all. Ribeye, I ordered medium and my boyfriend ordered medium rare. My steak came out as medium rare and his came out rare. I sent mine back, I couldn't eat it. My boyfriend sucked it up and ate his. Flavor was good. Lobster tails, you get 2 and they are pretty small, but they are good! Sides, I highly recommend the cream of corn, it's incredible! They put parmesan cheese on top. We also ate at Sabatini's one night. Wow, it's a lot of food and it's good! It's an extra $20 a person. You got cold apps, hot apps, option soup and salad which we said no to. Then you get a pasta dish, your main course and then dessert. Cold apps, you get cheese, olives, arugula and prosciutto. Hot appetizer you get fried romano cheese with sun dried tomato which I loved...calamari and fried zucchini which was also very good. Pasta dish, cheese and mushroom ravioli with a truffle sauce which was incredible and a fettucini. For my main course, I selected the seabass which was pan fried and topped with bread crumbs. It laid on a bed of asparagus with a lemon cream sauce. Wow, fantastic! Food in the dining rooms were pretty good, buffet was all right. Pizza, I did not like at all. Burgers at the grill was okay, nothing great. My boyfriend did purchase the all you can drink soda for $40 and we shared. He'd just grab me a soda when he'd get a soda. No one said anything. Beers, well my boyfriend drank quite a bit and it adds up. He bought a few buckets. 5 or was it 6 beers for $20 or so. 1 beer was about 6 bucks.

Spa, we got a couples Swedish massage in one of the cabanas. Was nice and relaxing. We did that on one of the sea days. I felt relaxed. My only complaint would be that they tried to push products on us and made us feel bad for not buying them.

Activities and shows. Umm, not really for us. We are a couple in our early 30's. This cruise we were on was filled with a lot of older people. We felt out of place. Not a lot of people our age. The nightclub was filled with seniors and they would play oldies music. The only shows we went to were the comedy shows. We enjoyed the comedian from Canada a lot, his name I believe was Scott? He was funny! The other comedian was Al Katz. He was also very entertaining. We didn't care for the impressionist, I forgot his name. He was practically begging for applause. The comedian/magician Joe was not funny at all. He didn't even really do any magic. He also kept looking at his watch to see if it was time to get off the stage. What we did to pass the time was either gamble at the casino or play cards. Good thing we packed cards. We also did movie under the stars one night to watch Red. That was nice. The reason why we took this cruise is it was recommended for couples, didn't really seem romantic to us at all. Not many activities for people our age. We were so glad that this cruise had 6 ports, we had a lot of fun exploring different islands. I think if we cruise again, we will try Royal Caribbean. Hoping for a better mix of people and more activities. Less

Read more Emerald Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Emerald Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Emerald Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Caribe L238

The port here isn't that pretty. You get off the boat and everyone basically jumps on you asking you if you want to take a tour with them, if you want a taxi, if you want to get dropped off at the beach, etc, etc. Nothing is really open since we dock early. We were so hungry and found one little sandwich shop. After breakfast we ended up grabbing a cab who gave us a tour of Antigua. We then spent 2.5 hours at Jolly Beach. Jolly Beach is BEAUTIFUL. Our cab tour was $25 a person. Totally cheap and worth it.

Read 806 Antigua Reviews

We booked Calabaza Tours, unfortunately we couldn't go on the catamaran ride as there were a lot of jelly fish out the day we were there. Gina said it was up to us if we wanted to brave it, but she left it up to us and we declined. She was really nice and emailed me all the recipes of what were to have for lunch that day. She even got a cab for us to take us on a tour. We got a mini tour and went to the beach. It rained that day, so the sun was in and out. I definitely want to come back to Barbados. It was beautiful. We also ate a local bar which had good food. I didn't get the name.

Read 706 Barbados Reviews

Last stop Princess Cays. It was okay, just a beach. Food was bbq ribs, fish, chicken, burgers. You can make purchases and use your Princess card.

Port here is beautiful. Lots of stores and colorful. By far, one of our best days. We took a tour with Spectrum ATV. I posted a review and photos on Trip Advisor. It's a 2.5 - 3 hour ATV ride where you go to sites you can't get to by car. You end at the Spectrum site and hang out at their bar. During the tour you drive around, stop for photos and learn about the history of St Kitts. Ivan was great! Elvis later dropped us off at the beach which was beautiful. We also ate at Cathy's Ocean View Bar and Grille. Local bar with GREAT FOOD!!! Wow, chicken and ribs were amazing. The rice was good, everything home made. Warning, the atmosphere isn't that great, but the food makes up for it. Reasonably priced. I also posted a review on Trip Advisor. We later took a cab back to the port and did some shopping. St Kitts is amazing! ATV ride and drop off to the beach is $95, but well worth it!

Port here is nicer than Antigua and seems a little more organized. We took Cosol Tours. Tour was $65 and you basically tour the whole island, go to the beach, see the volcanos and get drinks (beer, soda, rum, water) and homemade snacks and breads and cheese. You also visit the banana plantation. I posted a review on Trip Advisor.

Tour on the cruise to get to Trunk Bay was booked so we did this on our own. We took a cab to get to the ferry which was $11 pp. The ferry to get to Trunk Bay is $6 pp.Getting into Trunk Bay is $4 pp. We had our own snorkel gear, but rented life jackets. Trunk Bay in St John is beautiful! Water is amazing. We ate at the little stand, fried shrimp and fries. Pretty good. 10 bucks for shrimp, fries and 2 sodas. After a day on the beach, we had to get back to St Thomas. Ferry runs every hour. We got to Trunk Bay around 10am and left at 12:30 to catch the 1pm ferry. Would love to spend more time at St John. We get back to St Thomas and ask to be dropped off at Yacht Haven Grand. We shopped and ate at Wikked. They had the best tacos! Wow. I got a shrimp taco and a jerk chicken taco. Loved it. We had a pretty productive day. Snorkeling and shopping with eating. Lots of fun.

Read 2340 St. Thomas Reviews