Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by hugetraveler: Floating Vegas or Hot Pokers in the Eye? Ouch!

hugetraveler
Member Since 2011

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

Floating Vegas or Hot Pokers in the Eye? Ouch!

Sail Date: March 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

YUCKY! In a nut shell we were extremely bored, found not much to do, it was like Vegas on a boat, smokey, gamblers and drunks--the weather was crummy, the boat was rocky. Not a good one for kids. Kids club was amateur. Will not book on Carnival again. Ever.I have traveled on Disney both domestically and abroad and they just do it right!This is my marker for what a cruise should be like. I guess if you do the best first its all down hill...i digress... this isn't about Disney. This is about the Carnival Splendor a very PINK ship with naked manikins (yes, really) splattered about (which made for fun, hey get an old lady to stand by one and take a picture and everyone gets a laugh).

The newness of the ship was all it had going. The crew, too new to take an interest in what the heck was going on aboard was rarely able to answer a question. They usually figured out a way to have you do it yourself. They were good at pointing, but not coming to your aid...need an ice tea? Point. Cup More of water. Point. (on Disney the sodas were free and abundant and "I'll get that for you" was abundant too!)

Mazatlan was cancelled leaving us to try an find something to do for 5 long days aboard. Cabo and Puerto Vallarta were fun.

I loved the Mariachi Band that came on to perform. Speaking of shows, don't get room 6229. The speakers for the Spectacular theater are mounted to your bedroom floor. My traveling friend never got a moments rest as the shows went on until 1130p (ok we should have been in the smokey casino, I know).

The activities on board were normally dismal and the UPSELLING aboard was practically unconstitutional! Have a massage and you get a sit down consultation after its over and everything you need to buy to enhance your experience (creams, gels, etc). They were constantly luring you to different places to get you to BUY something. Tons of photographers with different backdrops nightly was pretty much the highlight of things to do--at $22 a pop and no break for multiple shot purchases it can get costly. I am sounding cheap, but actually am not if there is good value!

The cruise director and officers...hmmm never saw them. Where did they hide? Once again my scale is Disney and the officers, yep we knew them by name.

The wait staff and porters were great though. Very personable. Determined tips were automatically charged to your rooms for your convenience. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Interior Upper 6219

The room was fine. IT was an inside room and we did not expect much. We got what we paid for meaning it was fine. Plenty of closet space and space in general, nice bathroom. IT was fine. Room 6619 However, my friends room was 6619 and EVER BOOK THAT ONE! The speakers for the Spectacular theater were mounted to her floor. It was awful! They gave her a 15% refund when she complained, but by no means right away! The ship had no open rooms. I would have demanded more.

Small town but good to get off the boat and walk around and get some great Mexican food! NO one harassed us much there to buy stuff.

In Puerto Vallarta, the best thing to do is take a $3 cab ride in to town. There are a lot of shops and restaurants, bars and a nice beach. It feels relatively safe and comfortable. IF you go a little further you can go to a private beach where the vender's harass you endlessly--but if you order lunch there they will give you a table and chairs etc for the day. Your cab driver will wait for you if you ask $18/rt per person if he has a group. He can stay with you for the day and take you into the city as well then back to the ship.