Oosterdam Cruise Review by Hildefam

Cruise Date: March 2011
Embarkation: San Diego
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: SY
See More About: Oosterdam Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
        10-12 4.0

Ship Facts: Oosterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Oosterdam Deck Plans
Spring Break Mexican Riviera
Just got back from the Oosterdam Mexican Riviera cruise... had a GREAT time... sad that it's over. Traveled with my mom (in her 60's) and my ten year old daughter. We were in an SY cabin. We have one other cruise under our belt... Alaska with Holland America (three years ago). I REALLY appreciated the reviews from the other guests who have taken this cruise, so I vowed to write one when we got back. I'm not a witty writer, so this will have to do.

Pre-Curise: Did priceline.com for 4 star room... got Westgate in downtown for $86 with all fees. Great hotel, great location. I love to priceline 4 star hotels in big cities... get to stay at really nice places at great rates.

Embarkation: Arrived at 11:30. Went smoothly. Room was ready when we got on board at 12:00. We were seated for our Mariner's brunch by 12:30. Luggage was a little slow getting to our room, but hey, we're on vacation... no problem with us. We signed up for unlimited laundry and loved it. We filled a bag almost daily. Clothes came back same day (when given to steward by 9:00 am) even though they told us it could be up to 48 hours. The clothes were clean and pressed.

Vista Dining Food: Wow! Really exceeded my expectations. I thought the food was OK on our last cruise, but this food was great! We are all picky eaters, but there was always something for each of us to eat. We even stretched ourselves to try new things since it's all "free." Some don't enjoy the master dinner on the last night due to the silliness/dancing, but we really enjoyed it.

Cannaletto: Fun change! We enjoyed our experience and appreciated a different dining option that was "free."

Pinnacle Dinner: Again, WOW! Great filet, great desserts, great service (albeit, slow)... nice experience. Would do it again.

Room: Loved our SY suite. We had an inside cabin on our first cruise, so our suite felt luxurious. Our balcony looked MUCH larger than the other ship balconies that were in port with us (Disney Wonder, Sapphire Princess, Norwegian Star). We spent hours upon hours sitting on our veranda. Enjoyed many snacks/meals from room service on the Veranda.

Kids Club: My daughter enjoyed the kids club every time she went, but she mostly enjoyed being with mom and grandma. All of the staff went out of their way to be kind to her... gave her extra cherries in her Shirley Temple, shared a magic trick, gave her a cute nickname, her stuffed animals were arranged in cute ways, etc...)

Videos: Great selection. Had all but one movie we wanted.

Entertainment: Loved the magician/comedian. Loved the John Denver singers. Didn't go to any of the performances by the HAL singers/dancers.

Puerto Vallarta: Daughter and I did the Canopy Adventure - really fun. I highly recommend this excursion. It was fun to get out of town and into the forest canopy. Came away with about 10 mosquito bites each... bring your bug spray. A shout-out to "team D" who were so fun and professional. Mom did the "Town and Fiesta Tour." She really enjoyed this tour and said the food was great.

Cabo: We wanted to do the Dolphin Swim, but it was totally full. Daughter was disappointed, but I just told her that mom should have booked sooner than the day of. We took a glass bottom boat out to El Arco and walked around the pier.

Service: Really, what can I say except WOW!! Our room steward, Janji was great... I wish I could take him home with me. The Indonesian staff go out of their way to provide little extras and service with a smile - they are amazing. There were a few "human errors" (a missed room service item, a cappuccino that took too long to come at dinner time), but really, this is to be expected. The number of positives FAR out-weighed the number of human errors.

The only bad part of the trip was getting off the boat today.

Publication Date: 03/27/11