Star Princess Cruise Review by sbktraveler

Cruise Date: January 2010
Embarkation: Rio de Janeiro
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Cabin Category: BB
See More About: Star Princess Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Star Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Star Princess Deck Plans
Treatment by Princess Worst Ever
Leaving the port in Rio de Janeiro is beautiful, very scenic. The ship needs updating which I understand is going to happen the end of this year. While I am going to focus on the negative in this review, I promise to update if Princess changes the way they have handled things so far.

First the ports of Salvador and Fortaleza in Brazil are dirty and dangerous. We were told to not wander too far, be extremely careful (which I understand is something we must do when we travel), but this was really no where we would ever want to return to. Barbados, Antigua were OK. The only stop that was worthwhile was St. Thomas. The days at sea were good as we enjoy them very much. There were two fabulous artists on board, Dorit Levi and Martha Zamora. This was the highlight of our trip, the art auctions and demonstrations were most interesting and informative. We truly learned and had fun at these events.

The movies the first few days were old and stale, on the third day the did show the new releases and some of the entertainment improved. Overall the entertainment was not nearly as good as on the Ruby last year, other than the artists and auctioneer.

The food, let's see they served the same melon every day, no tropical fruits even though we were in the tropics. They ran out of bananas, English breakfast tea, no broiled tomatoes etc. just to name a few things. Also had to ask for certain items as they seemed to be rationed and secret to passengers. Seemed that there was more information given by other passengers than we ever got from the people working on the ship. I would not cruise on the Star again in the near future.

Finally comes the worst news, I LEFT MY JEWELRY BAG IN MY CABIN WHEN DEPARTING THE SHIP, called Princess within hours to report it and today Saturday have gotten no response from them other than they will get back to me withing 2-4 weeks. I did find a number for the rep in Fort Lauderdale and got some ridiculous answers and feel such a who cares attitude from Princess. They searched my cabin about 2:30pm and found nothing. Now I can't help but feel that the Cabin Steward is the first one in the cabin after you leave it, after all aren't they in there first to see if you left them a tip. Well I left a tip and thousands of dollars in jewelry. Surely Princess has a responsibility in this scenario. Will follow up as they follow up. So far all I have gotten is anyone could have gone in the cabin after we left it, anything that is found gets sent to California and then they review the lost and found forms to match things up. The process takes anywhere from 3-5 weeks. When I first called they suggested I drive to the port on go on board and look for my items myself. They told me they had no way to contact the ship. How ridiculous is that? You can't even get in the port let alone on the ship if you are not traveling. That is the short story on this and I am thoroughly saddened by the loss and the way they have treated me to date. Thank you for reading this.

Publication Date: 03/27/11