Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by mikeyb1860: What a Great Time!

mikeyb1860
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Eastern Caribbean Cruises

What a Great Time!

Sail Date: March 2011

Embarkation at Port of Miami, was no different this time than it has been on any sailing at any port. We arrived about 10:00 AM, and we were on board with a drink in our hands by 11:30. The arrival buffet was excellent, and yes, the Lido deck was crowded as usual, since we all had to wait for our rooms to be prepared. Once we arrived at our stateroom (Aft Balcony), one of the first things we noticed was that the entry hall was very narrow. Not really a problem, although it did make it kind of fun to watch room service bring in coffee every morning! I have to say that it posed very little of a restriction as we spent far more of our time on the balcony. They were spacious and the view from the back of the ship is amazing. My wife and I both agree that we will never sail in any less category stateroom, anytime we go in the future.

The only thing that went wrong on this entire sailing, happened on our fist night out. A guest, not from within our party, had decided to cruise More against Doctor's Orders. Suffering from complications of his/her recent surgery, the ship was forced to return to Miami for special debarkation of this passenger. We also had a crew member come up sick and he was debarked at sea near Grand Turk, so they could receive medical care.

The food aboard this ship was everything I have come to expect from Carnival. Tasty, plentiful, and served with the class that has been the industry standard for many years. If you are looking for a little extra special treatment aboard the Liberty, I highly recommend Harry's Steakhouse. The food is the best I have had anywhere. The service impeccable, and no detail is overlooked.

Since we were forced to miss Half Moon Cay on this sailing, for those of you that may be going there soon, let me say from a past visit, that the pictures you see on the web do not do it justice. I was saddened greatly that we were shorted this beautiful day.

St. Thomas was a wonderful stop, especially if you are in the market for Jewelry. We chose the Champagne Catamaran. We spent the day snorkeling at Honeymoon Beach on St. John, then sailed back to St. Thomas drinking Champagne listening to music, and enjoying the beautiful Caribbean that I have come to love so much.

We didn't choose an excursion for San Juan, but I can give you an idea of something you might enjoy. We went shopping for souvenirs, and decided to have lunch at Old Harbor Brewery. A steakhouse/brewpub about 6 blocks from the ship. The food was very good, and the locally brewed beer was exceptional. My personal recommendation is to try the 5 beer sampler. Five distinctly different beers all brewed right there on the premises. After lunch, we did a little more shopping and headed back to the ship for some hot tub time, and dinner that night.

We decided to shop and do lunch in Grand Turk as well. Being a full tilt Parrothead, lunch at Margaritaville was a no-brainer. The food was as good as I remember it, and the atmosphere is definitely cruise-oriented. The more daring on our trip, tried the Flow-rider, a permanent wave you can either stand-up surf, or body surf on.

Entertainment on board was excellent! The comedians are very funny. Marc Rubben, ventriloquist, Jimmy Farrol delivered one of the best sets, I have ever seen, and Phat Kat, (soon changing his name to Slim Kitty) had us in stitches for his entire set!

The bands were excellent as well. Retrospect, a classic rock band laid down one of the best covers of "Hotel California" I have ever heard, as well as many favorites radio rock tunes from the 70's. The Solo Guitarist, Thomas played an eclectic variety of tunes, and was truly entertaining. Although I never caught the name of the husband and wife team that played in the atrium, I can say that we enjoyed hearing what they were doing every time we were in the area.

All in all it was an enjoyable 7 days, and we would recommend the Carnival Liberty to anyone!!! Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Liberty Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Liberty Balcony Empress 7448

Entry way's are narrow, but otherwise the aft Balcony is a fantastic way to travel!