Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by St Louis Cruiser: Fun vacation for family with kids

St Louis Cruiser
Member Since 2011

Family & Children 3.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Mexican Riviera Cruises

Fun vacation for family with kids

Sail Date: March 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: New Orleans

This was our first time cruising on Carnival. We were a little concerned about their "party" reputation since we were traveling with kids, but because we could drive to their port in New Orleans we chose them over flying to a Florida port.

Overall we had a great time and would gladly sail with Carnival again. The Triumph is an older ship and lacked some of the amenities that we've had on other cruises (rock wall, ice skating). The pools were also smaller than we've seen on other ships. However, it was very clean and the service was great. The food was very good - better than other cruises I've been on. They had several specialty stations (burgers, oriental, pizza) that were good.

My 6 year old really enjoyed the Camp Carnival activities. However, my 9 & 12 year olds weren't nearly as interested in their programs. The evening entertainment ranged from a great magician to other shows that were just ok. I don't think the programing was as good as what I've More experienced on Royal Caribbean.

Even though it was a spring break trip, I thought the other passengers were very well behaved. I didn't see any rowdy behavior or excessive drunkeness that I was worried about.

The New Orleans port is VERY slow. Embarking and disembarking were by far the worst I've ever experienced.

Overall, I'd recommend this ship. It was priced right for the experience. Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Interior Verandah

I was concerned about what we'd do in Progresso based on other reviews that I read before our trip. However, we found it to be a very enjoyable port. We got off the ship and road the shuttle into town. Took a double decker bus tour of the town, then strolled thru the shopping area, along the beach, and ate at a beachfront restaurant. This was the first time our kids had been to Mexico. I thought this port gave them a pretty authentic experience.
Read 285 Progreso Reviews