Carnival Spirit 5

“25th Anniversary or Honeymoon revisited!!”
Cruise review of Carnival Spirit

riffatsea
Member Since 2007
6,324 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

We were refugees from one of the canceled Splendor cruises and were happy to rebook on the Spirit 9 day!! This was our 2nd time on the Spirit and since we live in San Diego this embarkation port is especially nice for us!

We DID start out late because of the Tsunami but because we carryon our own luggage it was still easy to get onto the ship. We got to the port at about 12:30PM and were in group #7 to board. They didn't start boarding until about 1:45. So by the time we got to our cabin it was all ready for us!

Our cabin steward was there to introduce herself and we found her very friendly and helpful throughout our trip!

It is interesting to me how different folks rate things differently.

WE think the decor of the Spirit is quite nice! We like looking at the glass sculptures on each deck and we really like the layout.We enjoy the walking track on deck 10and the easy way to avoid the smoke in the casino by crossing the ship on Deck3 and using the winding More staircase down from the library to get back to Deck2. We also spend a lot of time in the adult only section at the aft pool/bar.

We like the layout of the areas in the food court but on this voyage we thought the selections in the buffet were less interesting than the last time.

We really enjoyed the food in the Main Dining Room and even ate breakfast there a few times. We had Your Time Dining and usually got there early. By the 3rd night we found a wait staff group we liked and so continued to use them for the rest of the trip. We had fine service throughout!

I think that besides the change in itinerary our main disappointment was with the entertainment. There were several nights that had NO entertainment! I don't count listening to fellow travelers sing, as entertainment!!

The Comedy Club was only open on the first 2 nights and the last 2 nights. One of the comedians told folks not to bother coming to other shows the 2nd night because his act would be the same!!! I have never heard of a comic that had only 1 set to perform!!

The weather was absolutely fantastic with temps in the 80s and water temps in the 70s!! We especially liked our time in La Paz on the Sea of Cortez! The town was charming and my excursion to kayak at Bandera Beach was delightful!!

The only bad weather was the day we returned to San Diego when we managed to get in before a big storm!

We are very sad that the Spirit will be leaving San Diego to go to Australia!!

We will miss her very much!!!!!!! Less

Carnival Spirit Cruises to the Mexican Riviera

Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Balcony

8D6223
We were in cabin 6223 in the 8D balcony category, which was on the starboard side right near the walkway to the elevator. It turned out to be a very quiet and convenient location!! We were at first concerned but it turned out to be a spot we would book again!! We enjoyed being able to watch the land as we sailed north.

This was our first time in La Paz. There were buses at the port to take folks into town or to a beach. There was a mariachi band that played to greet us as we left the ship. I went on a wonderful Carnival sponsored excursion called the Kayak Adventure. We were taken in a small boat to a private deserted beach. Then we got into 1 or 2man kayaks. This was my first experience with a kayak so I asked to go with one of the guides. The bay was calm and fairly shallow. There were life jackets one could wear and we were given water/soda to drink. There was also a safety boat following us. It was a lovely experience!!! On the way back to the ship we saw whales breaching and sea lions playing! I highly recommend this trip! The only bad part of the day was the fact that the free buses to town stopped at 2:30 so if you came back later you had to take a taxi. My husband really liked La Paz!! He thought the architecture was beautiful and the shops were nice. We would really like to go back and spend more time there. It seems to have a nice combo of town/shops/and beach activities!!
Read 48 La Paz Reviews

Published 03/27/11

Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Spirit Review

Carnival Spirit Cruises to the Mexican Riviera

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?