Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by scubalvr: Cruise gone wild

Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Norwegian Dawn Western Caribbean Cruises

Cruise gone wild

Sail Date: March 2011

My sister and I have been meeting for the past few years for a week together to relax and enjoy the sunshine and warm waters of the caribbean. Cruising really works for us because we could see more than one island at a time, see shows and have great foods in a variety of venues, and meet interesting people. This year we choose NCL's Dawn. I have currently returned to college as a job requirement (as many not so young adults have), while working full time. Unfortunately this week was MY spring break, 3/6-11. We knew we where in trouble when we where waiting to board the ship(over 50 min wait) when we observed hundreds of college-aged kids also boarding. It was hard to miss them, as quite a few where loud and disruptive, chanting school fight songs etc. We observed a group of young men who where obviously impaired from drugs and or alcohol.They where actually allowed to board the vessel in that condition! We heard( many were bragging) they smuggled alcohol onto the ship in their More mouth wash bottles and contact lens solution.

On a positive note, before I get going, I would like to say the ship itself was nice, the room was clean,and the crew for the most part where very friendly.( but very ineffective in resolving anything).But, the slider(door) fell on my sister the first time she used the bathroom and the toilet never flushed when the button was pushed.

After check in,our cruise continued with constant screaming, yelling foul language, drunken brawls. Banging on our door all hours of the night, looking for their cabin, kept us up most of the night.These antics usually went on till 3am. We awoke to bodies passed out in the halls, half eaten food in the halls,(maybe that was for the people who had passed out) and that was just our deck. We lovingly named it "Frat Row"( I actually think my feet stuck to the rug at some point)We are up for a good time but really!!

We went to relax at the pool when we where at(both days) sea, there where no chairs. They had been dragged around to the pool area to the point it may have been against fire code. We also could not get anywhere near the pool or hot tubs as there where 15-20 kids in the tubs and 4 people deep getting to the pool( no one was actually in the pool) just blocking it so no one else could use it. And the drinking went unabated, the drunk kids passed out and or threw up, the rest of us never saw the bar or any wait staff, because the only areas left to sit where near the kiddie pool(aft). They ran out of drink mixes and beers on the second day. The shows where interrupted to the point the performers had to tell the kids to settle down, really??? Then came the break-ins to the bars, shops and art galleries. I had no idea the ship had a brig!!!! A small number were denied passage after we arrived in grand Cayman, however that didn't stop the others from drinking into alcohol poisoning, well maybe they are ok, as we had a 45 minute wait on the tender docked to the side of the ship, where we where sat bobbing like a cork. The kids started vomiting over the side, what a pleasant end to a lovely day. We asked to change cabins after the first night and where vehemently denied. We where instructed to call the front desk and ask for security if there where disruptions at night, we called 2-3 times per night EVERY night without relief. At one point we where told by security (yes they did come at least once) " that the kids are drunk and hopefully they will settle down soon" that was at 3am.

NCL knew there where too many kids on the ship, they hired a special DJ to entertain them and extra security( I think they gave up and joined them), who where TOTALLY ineffective. I have only mentioned only a few things that went on during this cruise(there are too many to mention), the bottom line is NCL allowed this to happen at the expense of the other paying passengers who where pleasant, patient and cooperative. Spring break lasts from mid February to mid April. Are we now to avoid all that time when booking a cruise on NCL because of spring breakers???? I thought we all paid the same fares as these kids(probably more) but apparently we don't have the same rights to service and common courtesy because we're not on spring break. Shame on you NCL. I am exhausted and angry. In the future I will take my hard earned money and choose your competitors and leave you to your "spring breakers". Less

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Dawn 4532

Room was a comfortable size for two passengers, three would have been a little tight. The bathroom was one of the biggest I have seen and the shower was really nice. The door falling off the track in the toilet area was not cool. The toilet did not always flush when the button was pushed ( we never knew when it would flush, sometimes 10 min. after flushing!) There was plenty of storage. The room was pretty dark(lighting was not strong) The light over the bed was too close and would heat up the pillow if left on too long. The port hole gave adequate light during the day. The walls where paper thin, we could hear EVERYTHING in the next room whether we wanted to or not! Halls where ridiculously loud, but the clients on our deck where very loud! Elevators where very slow, some where out of service.

This also was a beautiful port. The shops on the first level right as you come up the escalator drag you in if you even so much as try to be polite. Walk fast and if you do want to stop, stop in the way back to the ship. I bought a silver bracelet that isn't silver and the clasp broke the first time I wore it, live and learn. If you like to snorkel, definitely take a boat to the reefs, the current is too strong(if coming from shore) in the best areas for novice swimmers/snorkelers. The nature park is also very beautiful, but it seems each section has a separate charge not included in the entrance fee. The shopping was good and retailers where for the most part very friendly.
Read 3137 Cozumel Reviews

The port was very nice. Clean. We took an excursion to stingray city. Have to say I was not really interested, as I wanted to go to the reefs, but I was pleasantly surprised. The boat was clean and there was plenty of room for bags and seating. There was even a functional head! The drinks(water beer etc) were NOT included in the fee, which I thought was really poor.(charge was $5-10 depending on what you wanted) Charge for alcohol,ok, but not beer and water when the fee for the excursion is 60-70$pp We were to return to the ship by 4pm(last tender 330)We got in line at 300pm and waited until 4pm to get on a tender.The three other ships where loaded and set sail before we got to the Dawn!(Disney/Carnival) Once we got to the ship we bobbed like a cork beside the ship for 45-50 minutes before being allowed to enter the ship. Wouldn't have been bad except for the vomiting of the intoxicated spring-breakers,over the side, while waiting.