Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by scubalvr

Norwegian Dawn
Member Name: scubalvr
Cruise Date: March 2011
Cabin Category: OG
See More About: Norwegian Dawn Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Cruise gone wild
My sister and I have been meeting for the past few years for a week together to relax and enjoy the sunshine and warm waters of the caribbean. Cruising really works for us because we could see more than one island at a time, see shows and have great foods in a variety of venues, and meet interesting people. This year we choose NCL's Dawn. I have currently returned to college as a job requirement (as many not so young adults have), while working full time. Unfortunately this week was MY spring break, 3/6-11. We knew we where in trouble when we where waiting to board the ship(over 50 min wait) when we observed hundreds of college-aged kids also boarding. It was hard to miss them, as quite a few where loud and disruptive, chanting school fight songs etc. We observed a group of young men who where obviously impaired from drugs and or alcohol.They where actually allowed to board the vessel in that condition! We heard( many were bragging) they smuggled alcohol onto the ship in their mouth wash bottles and contact lens solution.

On a positive note, before I get going, I would like to say the ship itself was nice, the room was clean,and the crew for the most part where very friendly.( but very ineffective in resolving anything).But, the slider(door) fell on my sister the first time she used the bathroom and the toilet never flushed when the button was pushed.

After check in,our cruise continued with constant screaming, yelling foul language, drunken brawls. Banging on our door all hours of the night, looking for their cabin, kept us up most of the night.These antics usually went on till 3am. We awoke to bodies passed out in the halls, half eaten food in the halls,(maybe that was for the people who had passed out) and that was just our deck. We lovingly named it "Frat Row"( I actually think my feet stuck to the rug at some point)We are up for a good time but really!!

We went to relax at the pool when we where at(both days) sea, there where no chairs. They had been dragged around to the pool area to the point it may have been against fire code. We also could not get anywhere near the pool or hot tubs as there where 15-20 kids in the tubs and 4 people deep getting to the pool( no one was actually in the pool) just blocking it so no one else could use it. And the drinking went unabated, the drunk kids passed out and or threw up, the rest of us never saw the bar or any wait staff, because the only areas left to sit where near the kiddie pool(aft). They ran out of drink mixes and beers on the second day. The shows where interrupted to the point the performers had to tell the kids to settle down, really??? Then came the break-ins to the bars, shops and art galleries. I had no idea the ship had a brig!!!! A small number were denied passage after we arrived in grand Cayman, however that didn't stop the others from drinking into alcohol poisoning, well maybe they are ok, as we had a 45 minute wait on the tender docked to the side of the ship, where we where sat bobbing like a cork. The kids started vomiting over the side, what a pleasant end to a lovely day. We asked to change cabins after the first night and where vehemently denied. We where instructed to call the front desk and ask for security if there where disruptions at night, we called 2-3 times per night EVERY night without relief. At one point we where told by security (yes they did come at least once) " that the kids are drunk and hopefully they will settle down soon" that was at 3am.

NCL knew there where too many kids on the ship, they hired a special DJ to entertain them and extra security( I think they gave up and joined them), who where TOTALLY ineffective. I have only mentioned only a few things that went on during this cruise(there are too many to mention), the bottom line is NCL allowed this to happen at the expense of the other paying passengers who where pleasant, patient and cooperative. Spring break lasts from mid February to mid April. Are we now to avoid all that time when booking a cruise on NCL because of spring breakers???? I thought we all paid the same fares as these kids(probably more) but apparently we don't have the same rights to service and common courtesy because we're not on spring break. Shame on you NCL. I am exhausted and angry. In the future I will take my hard earned money and choose your competitors and leave you to your "spring breakers".

Publication Date: 03/26/11