Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by trust277: Family of social Host Nathan

Family of social Host Nathan

Sail Date: March 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: San Diego

This cruise was highly anticipated and looked forward to as we got to cruise and see Nathan who is currently working for carnival as a social host.

The only inconvenience was embarkation was hampered by the tsunami warning that morning caused by the earthquake in Japan which is totally understandable.

Our room was great and our room steward Joseph was awesome. Many cruisers rave about their room stewards and Joseph is right up there with the best. Room was always clean and serviced even if we were only out of the room for short periods of time. Don't know how they do it:) They just do!

My absolute favorite part of cruising is the dinning. I love the variety and everything was outstanding. My favorite starters are the delicious cold soups and seafood. The garlic and butter scallops were my favorite.

I had fish four nights and it was all very good. Every night I had fish it was moist and very tasty. I also had prime rib, veal Parmesan, NY strip steak and More flat iron steak. Everything was delicious. Desserts and salads were also very good. Didn't eat a single thing that I didn't care for. One night we ate 11 starters and 15 entrees between 6 people. We were stuffed that night, but still had room for the cheese cake.

We also did the cruise and wine program where we pre bought 5 bottles of wine on the first day and enjoyed those at night with dinner. Saves 20% versus buying individual bottles Enjoyed the shows that we attended. We had just been on the Carnival Legend last July so the shows were all repeats, but my wife and I appreciate the artist's talents so we didn't mind seeing the shows again. One interesting note is that since Nathan now works for Carnival we had an opportunity to ask about the shows and the cruise director Jen said that it costs Carnival 8 million dollars to change the shows on the boat and that is why they don't change them more often. The shows are usually changed about every 8 years.

Nathan is also the comedy club manager and we had a great opportunity to meet and talk with the comedians. We were lucky enough to see 4. 2 at the beginning of the cruise and 2 at the end. All four were pretty funny and it was really funny when the second set of comedians came on because during one of the shows, the comic was really poking fun at Nathan's brother and best friend and he didn't know that they were. It made it pretty funny for us because he didn't know.

Pete from Liverpool (Nathan's Roommate) was a hoot and he called the guys the Alabama trio and enjoyed their version of Sweet Home Alabama at Karaoke.

Halley the cruise specialist was also very helpful with explaining past guest benefits and amazing future carnival boats and cruise specials.

Sarah "Sharkey" one of the dancers was with her mom and she was very sweet. She took time out of her day to stop and talk to us as well.

Jen was a great cruise director. Jill, Sara and Loni were great social hosts.

Samantha the assistant cruise director was a so very helpful as well!

Kim at the excursion desk was extremely helpful with booking our excursions.

Introduced some of the waiters to a "chocolate monkey" drink. It's a banana daiquiri with a little chocolate liqueur in it. YUM !!

any questions, feel free to email me at trust277@yahoo.com Less

Read more Carnival Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Spirit Balcony Main 4223

I really enjoy being near the back of the boat and as close to the elevators as I can get. It makes it very easy to get to and from the dinning room which is located at the back of the boat. Those rooms also give you quick access up to Lido Deck nine where there are coffee stations just off the elevators. On the Spirit class ships the 24 hour pizza is also just off the elevators. Very quiet in the back of the boat as well since there is less foot traffic.

Actually had two port days in Cabo, but on different days. First day we went to La Playa Resort and had lunch and spent the day at the pool and beach. This is where Nathan goes when he is allowed to get off the boat and relax.

Port Day 2 we did the clear bottom kayak and snorkeling. Both activities were fun, but it was difficult to see anything while kayaking and water was really cold for snorkeling 64 degrees. Water was fairly cloudy as well. I enjoyed it because there were plenty of fish to see, but the water was just not the best that I have experienced. I hope this is helpful.

The crew on the boat were awesome. They made fresh guacamole and salsa and free drinks. They took our picture with the Land's End landmark behind us and they were just super hosts on the boat. The girls name was Olympia. She was very helpful and seemed very concerned about making sure we had a good time.

The only thing I didn't care for was that they dropped us off on the other side of the Marina and we had to walk back to where you catch the tenders back out to the cruise boat which took about 25 minutes. If it would have been really hot out, it would have been miserable. So if you are going in the middle of the summer, please keep this in mind.

T-shirts were really cheap here. We got really nice collared shirts for only 10 dollars and regular T-shirts for 7-8 dollars.

Took a tour bus excursion into la Paz. The dock is out in the middle of nowhere. Ride took about 20-25 minutes. We stoped at an old garage where the had handmade looms. They demonstrated how they make string and then make it into bankets and other hand woven items. Very interesting. They had a small shop where you could purchase items made there.

We also stopped downtown and shopped at some of the local stores and street vendors. You can buy the same jewelry here as you can from the guy out at Yalapa at a better price. Necklaces run about 8 dollars in La Paz

We also stopped at a pottery shop where they make high end clay fired pottery. The tour guide was from that same area of town so I think maybe they had something going on, but it was very interesting and we did buy some very nice coffee mugs and lovely turtles.

Read 23 La Paz Reviews

We went to the Barcelo Resort. Wow fabulous place. Amazing four or five tiered swimming pool and lunch buffet was delicious. Waiter was always available to bring us drinks. It might have helped that we gave him a $20 and told him to keep us hooked up for the day. Beautiful views and we just might go back there to spend a week.

Yalapa excursion. Did get to see some whales up close. Like they were only 15-20 feet from our boat. You take a boat out to an area of Mexico where there are no roads. Very beautiful scenery and relaxing. We were met on the beach when we arrived by a guy carrying a pretty good sized iguana called George. We took a few pictures holding the reptile and then gave the man a few bucks to help cover his vet bills:) the locals are very persistent and want you to buy their jewelry and various other items so if you don't like that sort of thing then, you'll be somewhat irritated. The food they served us at Yalapa was ok and the Corona's were cold.

The reason I gave this excursion a 3 was because it was a 2 hour boat ride each way. So if you like sailing, you may like it, but for me, I did not enjoy it.