Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by arangom

Explorer of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Member Name: arangom
Cruise Date: February 2011
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: K
See More About: Explorer of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
        3-6 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Great family cruise
We are in the late 30's traveling with 2 small children. This was my first cruise with Royal Caribbean. We are not too picky and treat everyone with respect. We drink socially and our version of fun is playing with our kids in a nice beach.

Embarkation at Cape Liberty could not be any easier and faster.

We went to the cruisecritic sail away at Dizzy's bar, but we were late and could not mingle with anybody. At the meet and greet we had to leave early to pick up our kids from Adventure Ocean. It is probably very good for people who already know each other.

Dining: Except for a bad Chilean Sea bass and some other fish we had, food was from good to very good. The salad bar at lunch in the dining room was our favorite. We took the "savor" tour through the main galley with the executive chef. It was $49 per person, and you get a great tour, excellent meal, champagne, wine, wine refills and lots of cool information. We had all our meals at the dining room.

Adventure Ocean: I could not be any happier with their children program. My kids loved going there. It gave my wife and I lots of time to also do our own things. They had them from 9-12, 2-5 and 7-10. Everyday they came with their face painted or with gifts. They also had a talent show at the end of the cruise.

Entertainment: I thought Chris, the cruise director was excellent. Dizzy bar was our favorite spot, but we spent time everywhere. Specially people watching at the promenade. They had lots going every night. The quest game and ice shows should not be missed. Live music and buffets galore.

Pool and outdoor: It was too cold and windy the first 3 sea days and the last 3 sea days. So we missed being outside by the pool, but that is outside the ship's control.

Ports: We did the tours on our own, the cruise tours are way overpriced. We haggle with the local taxi drivers at the ports.

The crew worked hard and were very friendly, service was superb. The ship had some wear and tear but that is expected. Nevertheless, the ship is due for an update, specially the carpets in the cabin hallways and the outdated pink on the walls and doors. They reserve space for "Gold Sea-pass Carriers" everywhere, I found that ridiculous, maybe because I did not have one. I think a 12 day cruise was just perfect. I highly recommend it. You get a great value for the money. I will definitely take this cruise again.

Publication Date: 03/25/11