Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by arangom: Great family cruise

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Southern Caribbean Cruises

Great family cruise

Sail Date: February 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

We are in the late 30's traveling with 2 small children. This was my first cruise with Royal Caribbean. We are not too picky and treat everyone with respect. We drink socially and our version of fun is playing with our kids in a nice beach.

Embarkation at Cape Liberty could not be any easier and faster.

We went to the cruisecritic sail away at Dizzy's bar, but we were late and could not mingle with anybody. At the meet and greet we had to leave early to pick up our kids from Adventure Ocean. It is probably very good for people who already know each other.

Dining: Except for a bad Chilean Sea bass and some other fish we had, food was from good to very good. The salad bar at lunch in the dining room was our favorite. We took the "savor" tour through the main galley with the executive chef. It was $49 per person, and you get a great tour, excellent meal, champagne, wine, wine refills and lots of cool information. We had all our meals at the dining room. More

Adventure Ocean: I could not be any happier with their children program. My kids loved going there. It gave my wife and I lots of time to also do our own things. They had them from 9-12, 2-5 and 7-10. Everyday they came with their face painted or with gifts. They also had a talent show at the end of the cruise.

Entertainment: I thought Chris, the cruise director was excellent. Dizzy bar was our favorite spot, but we spent time everywhere. Specially people watching at the promenade. They had lots going every night. The quest game and ice shows should not be missed. Live music and buffets galore.

Pool and outdoor: It was too cold and windy the first 3 sea days and the last 3 sea days. So we missed being outside by the pool, but that is outside the ship's control.

Ports: We did the tours on our own, the cruise tours are way overpriced. We haggle with the local taxi drivers at the ports.

The crew worked hard and were very friendly, service was superb. The ship had some wear and tear but that is expected. Nevertheless, the ship is due for an update, specially the carpets in the cabin hallways and the outdated pink on the walls and doors. They reserve space for "Gold Sea-pass Carriers" everywhere, I found that ridiculous, maybe because I did not have one. I think a 12 day cruise was just perfect. I highly recommend it. You get a great value for the money. I will definitely take this cruise again. Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Explorer of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 6 9669

Quite location. A walk to the stairs and elevators. It had two folding beds secured to the ceiling when not in use. It fits 4 people. Clean.

Took the island tour as well with a local. $20 per person. St. Kitts seemed to be a little better, but Antigua had better beaches. We went to Valley Church beach. It rained the whole afternoon, but the beach was still beautiful. I would comeback to this island for the beaches. Food was similar to St. Kitts, not great but okay.

Read 799 Antigua Reviews

In St. Kitts we wanted an island tour. We booked with a local tour operator for $20 each but were delayed a good hour because they needed 4 more people. The driver was nice and we had a good time. They take everyone to the same two spots, the brimstone and the garden. The beach was average and food was ok.

My second favorite island. There were no locals trying to sell tours, so we had to walk over to the taxi stand and pay their price. $25 per person and half price for each child. Orient Beach was not what I expected, it was a very average beach, although the bars and restaurants were nice. We were there early and the place was very empty. Grand Case was a very nice little French town. I will definitely comeback to this place again. The little bars, cafes, restaurants looked like something we could enjoy. I expected more from Marigot as well, but perhaps I did not get to see everything. Maho Beach was exactly how I thought it would be, fun. We ended up at the beach next to the pier in Phillipsburg. Lots going on and a beautiful beach. The island was great, but the tour was horrible, I blame the driver and the huge van we were sardined into. I wish I had rented a car like I wanted to.

I have been to St. Thomas several times, Megan's bay is a beautiful beach, but I decided to take my family to St. John. Taxi drivers were charging $10 per person to take us to Red Hook. Even my 3 yo had to pay. So I walked 5 mins to Kmart and took the bus. It was about 20 mins before I was in Red Hook and paid only $4. In Cruz Bay I took a taxi to Trunk Bay. It was beautiful, but not suited for toddlers like mine. So we left quickly and went to the beach next to the pier in Cruz Bay. We had lunch at Woody's Seafood, but did not like the food that much. We took the 3pm ferry back to St. Thomas, took the public bus to Charlotte Amelie and was back with plenty of time.

Read 2322 St. Thomas Reviews