Carnival Victory Cruise Review by farmers1: Nice Experience but upset with Carnival

farmers1
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Western Caribbean Cruises

Nice Experience but upset with Carnival

Sail Date: February 2011
Embarkation: San Juan

My wife and I went on the Victory in Feb/March 2011. The cruise itself was wonderful. The ship was clean, everyone treated us special, and there was plenty to do .... No complaints on the cruise, the ship, or the employees ... EXCEPT for the service counter staff. Or should I say "Carnival Cruise line's position on a simple rule'.

This is our 3rd cruise with Carnival. We are allowed one bottle of wine per adult to bring during embarkment. We have done this with our past 2 cruises. We brought the wine aboard in our check-in luggage on our past cruises and had no problems. This time, the rules changed. There was no reason why we would 'review every rule in the book' for our 3rd cruise, so, we did as we have done before and packed our wine in the regular luggage. After all; you can't bring wine on an airplane in a carry-on bag.

This time it was confiscated because 'NOW' the rule has changed and it must be brought on in a carry-on bag. I told them that as a past More cruiser, we did not know because it was OK the way we did it before, and that it would be such a 'small' thing for Carnival to give us back our wine and tell us "you will know better next time". It would be no problem for them, and they would have happy repeat cruisers. It was a big inconvenience for us to have to either drink 2 bottles of wine on our last night in San Juan; haul it all back home; or have to give it away. I think it was very petty of Carnival. They could of had a 100% completely satisfied cruiser instead of one that feels irritated. I wrote Carnival when I got home and all they responded with was "too bad; that's the rules; hope it doesn't color your view of us" (I'm paraphrasing). Sorry Carnival, but it does color my view.

A couple that we sat with at dinner had their wine confiscated also. They did not have time during the hustle at the airport to take their wine out of their luggage before Carnival baggage people whisked it way. They did not complain, but it would not have mattered anyway because Carnival only understands 'rules' not 'making its cruisers happy'.

Otherwise, the ship was very nice. The room did not have a refrigerator. It would have been nice to have one, but, with ice always available, we did just fine without one. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Balcony Panorama 1046

found the room to be quite nice. Plenty of storage space. Clean. no refrigerator, so cans of soda were left on the counter. A refrigerator would have been nice, however; with ice always available it was not a problem. Used room service and it would arrive in about 15 to 20 minutes.