Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Karysa: Great way to spend Spring Break

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Western Caribbean Cruises

Great way to spend Spring Break

Sail Date: March 2011

Our vacation started uneventfully with an on time arrival from Toronto to MIA on March 11th. We stayed one night pre-cruise at the Hyatt Summerfield Airport Hotel. We checked in at noon and enjoyed a relaxing day by the pool. The next day we arrived at POM at 11:00 and were on the ship within the hour. Our three teenage daughters had a inside cabin around the corner from our aft balcony on the 6th floor. Everything was going smoothly and we were ready to wave good-bye to Miami at 4:00 but we were delayed. We decided to go to dinner at 6:15 after the Captain had made an announcement that we were going to be delayed for a little while longer. Eventually at 8:20 we sailed from the POM on our way toward Cozumel. My DH got postcard worthy photos of the Miami skyline at night during sail away.

Most of our meals were eaten in the MDR's and since we had open seating dining we ate in the Golden dining room for dinner. We never waited more than a few minutes to be seated since we More usually made our way to the dining room around 6:15-6:30. We found the food and service to be very good. Our daughters kept requesting the same waiters night after night. We ate most of our Breakfasts and Lunches in the Silver MDR which was also very good as well however, the lunch menu remained the same and with three port days it became a little stale. A daily special would be a welcome addition to the lunch menu IMHO. We enjoyed the pizza and even found the food at the buffet on the Lido deck to be good. Actually, the food on the Liberty was the best food that we have experienced on a cruise. Our room had a lovely view of the wake but since it was directly above the Victoria Lounge where the Comedy Club and Kareoke is held we found that it was quite a noisy cabin. It was quiet by 1:00 and since our daughter's curfew was 12:30 it worked out ok for us. Our room stewards were very nice and other than not even attempting to find me a smaller pillow or fix the space between our two mattresses they did a great job cleaning our room while being very unobtrusive.

The girls enjoyed the teen club and often spent time there in the evening or with friends that they had met in the club. There were many children, teens and college age cruises on this sailing and we liked the vibrant energetic feel that the cruise had.

The entertainment on board was not of the same quality of some of the ships that we have cruised on but it was alright. The main theater shows really did not offer anything new or interesting and only one of the four comedians, Jimmy Carroll was really funny to us. Todd the Cruise Director did a good job and was not over the top like some CD's are. I really disliked having to sit through Bingo while waiting for the shows to start in the main theater but that was the only way that you could assure yourself a decent seat as the shows started immediately after Bingo finished. Another thing that I did not like was that some of the dance lesson were held in the smokey casino. The Liberty had a large screen on the Lido deck where movies were played in the evening which many people seemed to enjoy. I missed not having a full band playing by the pool. I love to hear the steel drums when I am cruising in the Caribbean and I missed that on this cruise. My husband and eldest daughter worked out several times in the gym and commented that the equipment was in good working order. They were surprised that it wasn't busier. I enjoy being outside so I got my exercise by walking the track for at least 2 miles a day. We all had fun playing mini-golf and noticed how busy the volleyball and basketball courts were. There was always someone enjoying the sports courts when they were open and since they were sheltered by plexi-glass they were open more often than on most ships that we have sailed on. We had spectacular weather for the entire cruise which kept many people out on the decks enjoying themselves. On the last sea day we wanted to experience the water slide and we could not find one lounge chair near the slide on either deck to put our towels down on. I am not sure if this was just bad timing or if it was like this on the other two sea days as we sat on our balcony or just walked around when we wanted to get some sun. We really enjoyed the ports and the excursions that we went on provided fond memories for years to come.

We left our bags out on the last evening of our cruise and we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast in the MDR and disembarked around 9:30. The next two days we stayed at the Westgate Resort in South Beach. This was a great way to end our vacation. Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Liberty Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Liberty Balcony Upper 6458

Cabin 6548 is very noisy until 12:30-1:00 am because it is directly under the Victoria Lounge. The view of the wake was awesome.

We went on the Carnival excursion Passion Island by Twister. We had a blast. Twister is a speed boat and you are harnessed in as it goes very fast and after the 25 minute ride to Passion Island the skipper does 360's. Everyone gets wet and it is a great way to get to the lovely Passion Island where the infamous Corona commercials are filmed. Here we enjoyed a very good buffet lunch and open bar. The water was very cool and not as clean as we are used to in the Caribbean. We enjoyed our afternoon lying in the hammocks or on the beach, in the water, exploring the island and playing volleyball. There were also water trampolines but they were not in the best of conditions. Float mats and kayaks were also available to use free of charge. There was a small shopping area as well near the restaurant. When our time was up our island guides rounded everyone up and escorted us back to our awaiting boats. More 360's were enjoyed by all in the lagoon and then it was time to head back. Our First Mate, Peppe and Ricardo our Skipper were a whole lot of fun and they kept everyone in a good mood until we docked. They even happily posed for pictures after everyone was safely on the pier.

Read 3105 Cozumel Reviews

We did an excursion with Native Way that included a visit to the Stingray City Sandbar, snorkeling at Coral Gardens, snorkeling with the starfish and lunch and beach time at Rum Point Beach. This was an amazing excursion. The stingrays were intimidating at first but the crew were very attentive and ensured that everyone got the most out of their experience. This place should not be missed. We held them and fed them squid and thoroughly enjoyed the time that we spent with the stingrays. The snorkeling at Coral Gardens was very good as well and we saw many, many colorful fish and different types of coral. Only one of our daughters snorkeled by the starfish and she said that there was only grass and starfish to be seen at that spot. The rest of our family just enjoyed the starfish that one of the crew brought up for us to see and hold. Since our family was the only ones going to Rum Point Beach the rest of the 18-20 cruisers on board had a little extra time on the boat as they dropped us off before heading back to the dock. We enjoyed a lovely lunch that was included in the excursion along with an iced tea. We had ordered it while on the boat and it was delivered to our table when we arrived to the beach. We had an hour and forty minutes to enjoy the beach. It was a small cove with a restaurant, bar, washroom facilities, volleyball, hammocks and beach chairs. There was plenty of shade and we really enjoyed this rustic natural beach with calm, clear, turquoise water . Sharon picked us up on time and drove us back to the dock. We had never seen the part of the island before and we enjoyed our time with Sharon and the 40 minutes or so that it took to get back to the port.

In Ocho Rios we had a private tour with Peat Taylor booked. I was a little surprised when we met Peat outside of the Port gates and he instructed me to board the bus. Since everyone else was heading to Dunn's River Falls we joined them. The climb at Dunn's River Falls was exhilarating and something that I knew that I wanted to do as soon as we booked this cruise. My DH took pictures of us and of several others on our ship as we made the climb. As we approached the bus to continue on our way to our next stop Peat came up to me and explained that since he had two bookings with the same name he mistakenly sent us on the wrong bus in the beginning. He offered to call us a driver and provide us with the private tour that he promised but I told him that as long as we would get our entire excursion in that we were fine to go along with everyone else. He assured me that we would, and we did. I booked him on the recommendation of my sister who had toured with him many years ago and I found him to be a very professional guide and a very nice man in general. We went to the Cool Blue Hole with one other family with teenage girls as well and we all enjoyed this incredibly beautiful place. We did rope swinging and mini cliff jumping into the clear, cold water under the careful watch of Peat's guide stationed there. After about an hour enjoying this little paradise all on our own Peat came and picked us up to take us to our next stop which was tubing on the White River. We thoroughly enjoyed the 40 minutes or so that we spent tubing. It was another beautiful spot. We could not get over the physical beauty of the places that we visited in Ocho Rios. Peat dropped us off near the pier and we had plenty of time to purchase some coffee and walk back to the ship. We all really loved our day in Jamaica.