Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Karysa

13-15 4.0
        16+ 4.0
Shore Excursions 5+

Great way to spend Spring Break
Our vacation started uneventfully with an on time arrival from Toronto to MIA on March 11th. We stayed one night pre-cruise at the Hyatt Summerfield Airport Hotel. We checked in at noon and enjoyed a relaxing day by the pool. The next day we arrived at POM at 11:00 and were on the ship within the hour. Our three teenage daughters had a inside cabin around the corner from our aft balcony on the 6th floor. Everything was going smoothly and we were ready to wave good-bye to Miami at 4:00 but we were delayed. We decided to go to dinner at 6:15 after the Captain had made an announcement that we were going to be delayed for a little while longer. Eventually at 8:20 we sailed from the POM on our way toward Cozumel. My DH got postcard worthy photos of the Miami skyline at night during sail away.

Most of our meals were eaten in the MDR's and since we had open seating dining we ate in the Golden dining room for dinner. We never waited more than a few minutes to be seated since we usually made our way to the dining room around 6:15-6:30. We found the food and service to be very good. Our daughters kept requesting the same waiters night after night. We ate most of our Breakfasts and Lunches in the Silver MDR which was also very good as well however, the lunch menu remained the same and with three port days it became a little stale. A daily special would be a welcome addition to the lunch menu IMHO. We enjoyed the pizza and even found the food at the buffet on the Lido deck to be good. Actually, the food on the Liberty was the best food that we have experienced on a cruise.

Our room had a lovely view of the wake but since it was directly above the Victoria Lounge where the Comedy Club and Kareoke is held we found that it was quite a noisy cabin. It was quiet by 1:00 and since our daughter's curfew was 12:30 it worked out ok for us. Our room stewards were very nice and other than not even attempting to find me a smaller pillow or fix the space between our two mattresses they did a great job cleaning our room while being very unobtrusive.

The girls enjoyed the teen club and often spent time there in the evening or with friends that they had met in the club. There were many children, teens and college age cruises on this sailing and we liked the vibrant energetic feel that the cruise had.

The entertainment on board was not of the same quality of some of the ships that we have cruised on but it was alright. The main theater shows really did not offer anything new or interesting and only one of the four comedians, Jimmy Carroll was really funny to us. Todd the Cruise Director did a good job and was not over the top like some CD's are. I really disliked having to sit through Bingo while waiting for the shows to start in the main theater but that was the only way that you could assure yourself a decent seat as the shows started immediately after Bingo finished. Another thing that I did not like was that some of the dance lesson were held in the smokey casino. The Liberty had a large screen on the Lido deck where movies were played in the evening which many people seemed to enjoy. I missed not having a full band playing by the pool. I love to hear the steel drums when I am cruising in the Caribbean and I missed that on this cruise. My husband and eldest daughter worked out several times in the gym and commented that the equipment was in good working order. They were surprised that it wasn't busier. I enjoy being outside so I got my exercise by walking the track for at least 2 miles a day. We all had fun playing mini-golf and noticed how busy the volleyball and basketball courts were. There was always someone enjoying the sports courts when they were open and since they were sheltered by plexi-glass they were open more often than on most ships that we have sailed on. We had spectacular weather for the entire cruise which kept many people out on the decks enjoying themselves. On the last sea day we wanted to experience the water slide and we could not find one lounge chair near the slide on either deck to put our towels down on. I am not sure if this was just bad timing or if it was like this on the other two sea days as we sat on our balcony or just walked around when we wanted to get some sun.

We really enjoyed the ports and the excursions that we went on provided fond memories for years to come.

We left our bags out on the last evening of our cruise and we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast in the MDR and disembarked around 9:30. The next two days we stayed at the Westgate Resort in South Beach. This was a great way to end our vacation.

Publication Date: 03/25/11