Costa Fortuna Cruise Review by Nhapp1221

Costa Fortuna
Member Name: Nhapp1221
Cruise Date: March 2011
Cabin Category: E2
See More About: Costa Fortuna Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Costa Cruise Deals
        Under 3 2.0
        3-6 3.0
        7-9 1.0

Ship Facts: Costa Fortuna Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Costa Fortuna Deck Plans
WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD TO PAY FOR!
This trip was destined for doom the minute we stepped out of our vehicle at the port. We left out of Ft. Lauderdale. Embarkation was quick, easy and smooth and the people were very nice. Would have liked to have their attitudes on the ship. When we got on the ship we went and found our rooms and got refreshed before going exploring. There was a total of 26 of us. We booked through an internet travel agency that we've dealt with for the past 5 years and have never had problems. My family and I quickly discovered that half of us had early seating and half had late even though we have ALWAYS requested to have early seating dinner. So we quickly went to the dining room and at first was told by the rude maitre'd that there was nothing we could do and it wasn't there fault it was the travel agent. We phone our travel agent and he was actually able to email me through my phone the documents that showed EVERYONE in my party had early seating. I quickly took this back to the dining room and was told they couldn't fix it till tomorrow night after everyone had been seated and things had settled down. We said OK. Dinner that evening was very slow and the food not so good but we realize the first night out is always the craziest while the crew works to get passengers settled into their assigned seats. When we returned the next night to dinner we were told the same thing. They would fix it tomorrow. I said absolutely not and if they were not able to fix it tonight we'd sit where we wanted. We had 6 small children ranging in ages from 6 months to 9 years and there is no way they could possibly wait till 830 to eat. We werent expecting to be sat together but in several tables near each other. Needless to say the problem was NEVER resolved and we ended up being put at 5 or 6 tables around the dining room and just had to rotate each night so all could sit with each other at least once.

The food was mediocre at best and one evening when my husband attempted to return his steak because he asked for it rare and it was brought to him medium well (and that's being generous) he was given the dirtiest look. The service itself was VERY slow and forget trying to get a coke, beer, wine, drink of any kind from the bar steward in the dining room. There was entertainment one night in the dining room and the waiters sang amazingly.

The demographic throughout the ship was older European and some of the most rudest and offensive people I have ever seen. I have a problem with grown woman walking around topless on the ship around the pool when I have small children about. I'm pretty sure our group were the only Americans on the ship.

Our cabin steward Mika was the absolute best cabin steward I've ever had from any cruise. He was the highlight for us. He was very gracious and always had the cutest towel animals ready for my little girl in her crib. She loved it!

The crew at the purser's desk were as rude as the passengers. Several times we called to complain about the a/c in our room and nothing was ever done about it.

The entertainment on the ship was mediocre. The best show was the elton john impersonator. The singers and dancers were ok. There was one female singer who couldn't carry a note to save a sinking battleship. We walked out on several of the shows.

We made the cruise ourselves, because costa did nothing to help us have a memorable and wonderful cruise. Their definition of pepperoni pizza is "hot dog" on top of a cheese pizza. I have pictures for proof if anyone would like them.

The food was horrible. Always cold. Portions were smaller than usual. No lobster. Very limited alcohol selection. Asked for a couple types of drinks and they had no idea what I spoke of.

My family and I love our days at sea but we were actually looking forward to the days at port cause it meant we could escape the ship for a few hours.

My bestfriend had plans to propose to his girlfriend and when he approached the cruise director to see if something could be planned he was rudely turned away. They did nothing and offered absolutely no help whatsoever.

My family and I will NEVER again cruise costa cruise line again. We actually refer to our trip as sailing aboard the "caca fortuna" because that is what we felt.

In our 30 years combined of cruising I've NEVER gotten off a ship without tipping. This time I did and I actually didn't feel bad about it. The only one whom received tips from us that I felt deserved it was our cabin steward Mika.

NEVER AGAIN!!