Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by cruisers23: Great time, but too many unattended children

cruisers23
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Great time, but too many unattended children

Sail Date: March 2011
Embarkation: Galveston

We just returned from our 5th cruise (3 with Carnival). I think this will be our last with Carnival. We got a little irritated with the constant stream of unattended children all over the ship at all hours of day/night. I am a teacher and really don't enjoy having to baby sit other people's children on my vacation. Out of Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and Carnival; we definitely prefer Royal Caribbean. Carnival could really use a policy on people not allowing their children to have free reign all over the ship.

Food portions seemed a little smaller on this cruise, so we usually ordered more than one main course at dinner. Lines at the buffet and other food lines are a bit of an issue on the Conquest, as the ship allows for more people than other ships in similar size.

Rooms: We picked a balcony for the first time in our 5 cruises and I loved it. My husband doesn't seem to feel it was worth the extra $1,000; but it was pretty neat. We ordered room service almost every More morning and were able to enjoy breakfast on the balcony. Room service has a very limited menu, but enough to get you going. The room was very clean, but I always take my can of Lysol and Clorox wipes to get the extra germs out.

Conquest staff were all very nice and helpful. It is fun to learn where they are all from. Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Balcony Upper 6217

Cabin was great, we had a balcony. We enjoyed being able to look at where we were without getting out of bed. The only disappointment had to do with the kids constantly running up and down the hallway at all hours of day/night.

(5.5)
This is always my favorite stop. We spent 2 weeks here during our honeymoon and explored just about everything there is to do in Cozumel. When we stop for a day during a cruise, we usually rent a jeep and travel to the other side of the island. There are some great restaurants on the beach (Playa Bonita and Coconuts). We prefer Play Bonita as their food is always to die for. they are also very friendly. We then usually find a quiet place along the beach to stop and swim, boogie board, and hang out. Be very careful if you get into the water on this side of the island (East) as there is a very powerful undertow which can pull you out quite a ways. During our honeymoon, my big studly husband had to help rescue a young lady who was pulled out to sea and screaming for her life.

Shopping is good if you get in the downtown area. The further you get from the main street the better the prices are. I got an authentic Mexico soccer jersey for $20 (started out at 45). My husband found one his size closer to the ship and had to pay $35 (very same jersey, other than size).

Cozumel has so much to offer and is a very safe place to do just about anything. Some in our group felt unsafe with everything going on in Mexico. I have heard it cost more than a days wages for a local to take the ferry from Playa to Cozumel; so they don't seem to have as much of the beggars as you get from the mainland.

Mr. Sanchos is a good beach to stop at on the West side.

If you go to the other side of the island, stop at Rasta's on a huge corner. cheap beer and some really neat hand made crafts and bracelets/necklaces.

I can't say enough about Cozumel! You have to be crazy not to enjoy the crap out of being there.

Read 3085 Cozumel Reviews

We did a stingray excursion through Moby Dick Tours (not a ship excursion). They were highly recommended and the cost was about $50 cheaper for the two of us. They took us to Stingray City and to a reef to snorkel. The tour was great! I would recommend anyone thinking of going to see the Stingrays to use this group.

When back in town, we ate at Margaritaville and our bill was $70 for two appetizers and a pitcher of beer. I would not recommend this stop as the food is not that great and it really was not that fun.

People in Grand Cayman are nice and it seems like a safe place.

This was our second visit to Jamaica. We enjoyed it this time a little more. We decided to pick a ship excursion to an all-inclusive resort for the day. It was very close to the port and was a pretty good experience. I believe the excursion was called Sewinds. The staff at Seawinds were all very accommodating and we feel like we ate and drank enough to justify the $100/person. Not much to see if you want to snorkel from this beach area.

We have taken a Dunns River Falls excursion before and would not pick it again, unless staying in Jamaica. It seemed like everyone in the world picked that excursion as the Falls were so packed! You also spend about 3 hours in a bus (1.5 each way) which is not my idea of fun.

I would really have liked to visit the Rose Hall plantation. I ordered a book on Amazon called Rose Hall's White Witch to learn more about Annie Palmer who was a plantation owner back in the 1800's. After finishing the story, I wish we would have taken that excursion.

Jamaica is not a very safe place to just walk around and do your own thing, so if you plan on an excursion during your trip; definitely do one in Jamaica.