Costa Mediterranea Cruise Review by sharon: CostaMediterranea - Bahamas

Compare Prices on Costa Mediterranea Bahamas Cruises

CostaMediterranea - Bahamas

Sail Date: December 2004
Destination: Bahamas

The CostaMediterranea is a beautiful ship (score 9.5 of 10) and the big shows were very enjoyable (score 9 of 10). The service was very poor, food was fair to poor -- both service and food a 3 of 10 score and I am being generous at that! The help is slow, getting water at your meal at the formal dining room (1st seating) was very slow and dinner a 2 1/2 hour ordeal. Not one time was the high chair cleaned off when we arrived. Head table waiter was very disorganized, the assistant waiter by the 3rd of the 5 days put himself together. The other members of our table after the 1st night went to the buffet, never to return to the formal dinner as did many other people.

The cabin steward was slow and sloppy, getting to our cabin by dinner time, failing to do the cabin 2 days, and only fully cleaning our cabin 1 time, the day before we left. She stated she had been on the ship for several months and relied on tips for most of her money. She was painfully slow and never More delivered our crib (thank goodness I brought a portable playpen).

I cruised the Celebrity Summit over the summer and the service and food on Celebrity (5.5 star) was a 10 of 10. Here I give room service a 3. I tipped everyone except my head waiter because he deserved nothing because he did less than nothing. My son went upstairs to the 9th floor to get himself a drink and food faster than the waiter on the 3rd floor could do. This is the first time I failed to leave anyone a tip, although I believe no one deserved anything.

The service at the desk was also awful. Upon leaving for an excursion, one of our 4 cards was not functioning properly to disembark (working fine to charge us but not to leave?) and we were told by security that they would contact the excursion and inform them we would be late. I RAN to the front desk only to find I had to wait another 15 minutes because so many other people had this problem too. By the time they let us off the ship, more lines, we missed the excursion and the head Costa Excursion Manager said too bad for us and was nasty and not helpful. We heard people all the time complaining about bad Service, bad food and lack of help.

There was definitely a major language barrier for English; they say Yes, Yes, but evidently have no idea what you are saying. I would give the Celebrity Summit a 9.5 of 10 and the CostaMediterranea a very generous 3! So sad to have such a gorgeous ship and everything else LOUSY.

Might I add, my baby was in their wooden highchair and a moment later my baby disappeared and I heard screaming. I look around and realize my child is on the floor, the middle piece of the high chair broke/or maybe was never put together properly and my child is lying on the floor to my horror and shock. I scoop up my child and after making sure she was OK and calming both her and myself down, and my other 2 shocked children, I tried to get someone FROM THE SHIP to help me and no one cared less, they just took the chair away. Afterward, I tried to go down to the service desk to report the incident, 15 minutes waiting in line with no hope in site, I realized this was no Celebrity Cruise ship and unless you are dying, or they want your money, forget it. I tried calling the desk from my cabin but it was busy, busy, busy, probably with so many people always complaining.

Disembarkation was another joy. I was up clearing my account at 6:30 in the morning and again at 7 a.m. to readjust the tips. Upon leaving, my first child left first with the stroller, the security placed our cards in and again the baby was held up and we had to go back in the ship to clear the account. evidently the ship was able to charge soda to the baby's account and had not billed us. They would not allow my son (age 12) back on the ship and I was stuck inside the ship. I had to leave my 10 year old by the exit unable to leave, my 12 year old had just exited and I yelled for him not to move and I went back upstairs a 3rd time to clear the account. Although there were massive lines with more people than I could count in 6 lines complaining and trying to clear their accounts (also problem with Costa's credit card and computers), I cut up in front of the lines because my kids were downstairs without supervision and I couldn't get my son back on the ship. Unhappily again they assured me it was my problem that the soda tab was not paid because the baby did not receive a bill...whose problem is that given I have been there already twice since 6:30 a.m. and it was now 10ish in the morning?

Another lovely note, I bought the 20 sodas card for $35 at the beginning of the ship and I asked if the kids could share one card and the gentleman told me that they could not (when in reality they could have). On the 4th day, the ship ran out of SPRITE, so with 9 sodas left, there was no more Sprite either at the 9th floor buffet or at at least 2 of the bars upstairs.... again their running out of Sprite Soda was our fault!

Again, gorgeous ship, service lousy, help lousier!!!!! On Celebrity, we never heard anyone complain because if you had a complaint, they bent over backward to correct and improve immediately! CHOOSE ANOTHER CRUISE!!!! Less

Read more Costa Mediterranea cruise reviews >>