Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by ramidon1: Allure is Awesome!

ramidon1
Member Since 2000

Family & Children 5.5

Compare Prices on Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Allure is Awesome!

Sail Date: March 2011

I'll try to keep this relatively simple since there are already many reviews of this incredible ship. We are mid 40's couple traveling with 20 y/o son & 16 y/o daughter. Our 10th cruise; 3rd with Royal Carribbean.

EMBARKATION: As others have said, it is amazingly simple, efficient & speedy. One oddity, our family had 2 cabins on different decks, so we were split up at check-in. Lines are arranged by deck. My husband & son were sent in one direction & myself & daughter to the other side. It was unexpected for us to split so it was a quick shuffle of documents & I was hoping hubby knew everything he needed cuz I am the planner. All worked out fine & within a few minutes, we were reunited for boarding.

BOARDING: We boarded right about 11am. Immediately went to Deck 4 Entertainment Place to try to book some shows that had been unavailable online. Lines were already long and extremely slow. We spent about an hour waiting in line; good More news though, we were able to easily get into all shows. By later that 1st day, folks were grumbling that shows were sold out.

LUNCH: Had our 1st lunch at Park Cafe in an effort to avoid the Windjammer craziness. Delicious. I remember seeing Giovanni's also open but I can't remember what else was open that first day.

DINING: We ate at GIOVANNI'S, RITA'S CANTINA & 150 CENTRAL PARK & the CHEF'S TABLE for specialty restaurants.

OVERALL FOOD, including buffets: I thought it was extremely good. I know people like to complain, but I do think you have to take into consideration the # of people being fed at one time--honestly, I do not think it could be done any better. Tons of variety & very fresh.

GIOVANNI'S: This was my favorite! Everything was tasty, but we over-ordered! Atmosphere was elegant but comfortable to eat there as a family. I thought the $15 upcharge was a bargain.

RITA'S: It was okay. Nothing great really, but a decent place to sit & watch the activity on the Boardwalk. I thought the upcharge, even though it was only $7.95, was too much.

150 CENTRAL PARK: We had a 930pm res because that was all we could get for the night we wanted. Stopped in around 8:30 to confirm our time & they said they could seat us immediately. The place was less than half full & remained that way.

My husband enjoyed this place more than I did. We splurged & got 2 wine flights. So that's an extra $75/pp. I think we were menu A if I remember correctly (Monday night). The atmosphere was very elegant and the service was upscale and attentive. Portions were very gourmet & small. Long stretches of time between courses & even tho the portions were small, they were very filling. Maybe it was too "gourmet" for me; can't really put my finger on why it did not knock my socks off. Took a full 3 hours for dinner.

CHEF'S TABLE: Now, this knocked my socks off! The setting was super elegant in the concierge lounge with a spectacular view of Central Park & the ship at night. I enjoyed the chef & sommelier explaining the food prep & wines.

I liked all the food except the 1st course which was the duck salad--it was smoked duck & tasted like ham to me. I really enjoyed the veal portion of the meal which is funny because I never eat veal & don't like the "idea" of it...the dessert trio was incredible...very chocolaty, but I was so full at that point!

The only thing I really didn't like about the setting was it was difficult to talk to the group as a whole, so if you didn't hit it off with your immediate table mates, you were on your own. My husband talked alot to the guy next to him so that left him turned away & i couldn't hear what they were saying--the folks next to me didn't really want to converse, sooo, I kinda felt left out, even tho my husband didn't mean for that but he didn't want to be rude to his table neighbor either. BTW, it was "assigned" seating so if you go with friends, make sure you request sitting together otherwise it would be awkward to ask to switch at the table. Formal place cards are all set up & they even put the names & table layout on the menu.

I thought this meal was worth the $75. It was a special & unique experience, but definitely not "romantic". I think it might nice to do this on one of the 1st few nights of a cruise because you would quickly have some "friends" onboard.

MDR: We found the service to be excellent. Seems like they were desperate for us to come to dinner every night...lots of folks must use the specialty restaurants--not sure if this affects what gratuity they get or whether they are just bored if no one comes to eat...Food quality was good to very good consistently. One thing I noticed was that the MDR felt more casual than on previous ships--it was quite loud & to me the lighting was not as elegant. I remember being really impressed with the MDR atmosphere on the Explorer...but this almost reminded me of the setting in the Windjammer....maybe they are hoping you go spend more $$ in the specialties?

SHOWS-Generally speaking, there is just so much to do on this ship, it was hard to tear ourselves away for a show. We did see Chicago & the stand up comic...both of which we enjoyed very much. We had reservations for other shows but either forgot about them or didn't want to leave what we were doing!

CROWDS: The ship was sold out. 1600 pax under age 21 onboard is what I was told. Deck chair situation was at times frustrating but there was usually a chair available, just maybe not where you might want to sit. Enjoyed the solarium area to get away from the kiddies. As others have said, never really felt over crowded--there is always activity, but not a feeling of being amongst the masses...the only real line I recall is that first day signing up for shows. Windjammer got hectic at times, but it could be avoided with so many other options.

BOTTOM LINE: The Allure was an incredible experience. I love RCCL anyways but I think they really outdid themselves on this ship.

We never encountered an employee that did not greet us with a smile & a friendly greeting--never. Never once did I go into a public space restroom that was not in perfect, spotless condition--no papertowels on the counter or floor--just amazingly spotless. We commented to each other that with a sold-out ship, they must clean the bathrooms every 10 minutes, literally.

Many times, I found myself thinking how elegant and sophisticated the ship was. I can't think of anything else to say except, BOOK IT! Less

Read more Allure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Allure of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Allure of the Seas Boardwalk view Stateroom with Balcony Deck 8 14321

CABINS: Cabins were ready promptly at 2pm (maybe earlier, that was the earliest we tried.) Initial thoughts were that the space of the cabin was tighter than balcony cabins on prior cruises but all in all, it was well decorated & we found that we had plenty of storage space for the 2 of us. I felt that the closet access was awkward...several people moved the end table out to the balcony, but we didn't, probably would have been helpful. Tons of hangers were available. The shower was better than prior cruises...had the foot rest for leg shaving & had a bit more space to maneuver. Balcony had 2 chairs & a table but we found it very noisy since it overlooked the Boardwalk. Next time, ocean view. One other note about the cabin situation: since our son was not yet 21 & cabins were not near each other, we had to do the booking with 1 adult in each cabin. They ended up giving us twin beds in our balcony & put the beds together in the kids' cabin...opposite of what we wanted...no one ever asked what bed set up we wanted, anyhow, the cabin steward quickly changed things around, we just felt badly since more work on that changeover day is not what they need. CABIN STEWARD: Karen was probably the best steward we have every had! Super friendly & on top of whatever we wanted. Obvious that the cream of the crop staff is on this ship!

Costa Maya: had never been here; rented golf cart $90 for the day/held 4 of us. Went about 9km from port area past Mahanual (sp?); stopped at a tiki type place which was cool & ended up back at Mahanual to stroll & hang out at the beach club that is included with the golf cart! You also all get a free beverage. Got a $25 massage; bought some trinkets; they love to barter! Water was pretty but the area in general still shows lots of hurricane damage from back in 2007. Apparently lots of US retirees live there now...not sure how, because the nearest grocery store is 2.5 hours away & Cancun (nearest airport & Home Depot)is 5 hours....

Cozumel: Hubby & son did Scuba w/PapaHogs--time was really screwy--for one thing, there was a time zone change, add to that "spring ahead" time change so low & behold, he had a 9am dive...left the ship at 8:15am (dragging out of bed after a late night in casino...)ended up having to sit at dive shop 2 hours because of time difference...???...seems like the dive shop could have figured this out before hand, but apparently not...diving was decent but they got seasick.

Daughter & I went to Nachi Cocum to hang on beach & relax. It was nice but I think we didn't get our money's worth because it was unlimited food & drink (for me--alcohol) but we could have probably got something similar for less $$ but it was clean, quiet-not spring breaky--food was excellent; drinks strong.

Read 3120 Cozumel Reviews