Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by jampat69: GREAT ITINERARY BUT FOR MORE LIFE/FUN GO ROYAL CARIBBEAN!(2)

jampat69
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean Cruises

GREAT ITINERARY BUT FOR MORE LIFE/FUN GO ROYAL CARIBBEAN!(2)

Sail Date: March 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

Ok, this is a continuation of my previous review but covers the 2nd week of cruising. Glad to say the weather was better and the itinerary better also- St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Barbados finishing off with a short time in San Juan prior to our departure. I'll try and include a few bits and bobs I omitted from the first part.

SHIP/ CABIN

For my overall impression, see the first part of this review, but it was a full ship the second week and as a result a bit livelier, thankfully! We changed cabin from 6079 to 8140 and it was better too. Everything inverted but we soon got used to it although I ventured into the wardrobe whilst looking for the toilets in the dark the first night! Thankfully, no accident's!:-) Was fresher, cleaner-had towelled robes instead of cloth ones and the stateroom attendants were better too. Better views from balcony too-no lifeboats to stare at! Worth remarking that the internet rooms on the ship were great- big Macs More which was great for watching the soccer! The spa was good also ,according to my g/f!

Was also good that the attendants transferred our luggage for us on the middle Saturday so no hassles for us as we were ashore in San Juan.

Celebrity aren't too fussed about pool towel usage etc-RCCL seem to 'control' it a lot more-but we had 6 towels in use at one point-no problems.

CAPTAIN'S CLUB

Because we had cruised the 1st week, that was technically one cruise so I arranged membership of Captain's Club for the 2nd week. Gave you a few discounts on things but to be honest we never really took advantage of them but I'm sure if you're back-to-back and haven't sailed Celebrity before is worth doing.Just go to desk at Captain's Club bit on Deck 3 and they will sort it out for you.

DRINKS PACKAGE

We spent over $600 on alcohol the first week (included 7 bottles of wine for our meal) so may be good to keep that in mind if assessing value of drinks packages. We did meet a couple of people who were drinking copiously the last two days of the cruise to ensure they got the bang for their buck from the drinks package they had purchased.

FOOD

The problem with back-to-back is the replication of the menu the 2nd week. We also moved to 4th Floor MDR in the middle, and the first two nights it was chaotic. Too cramped--one night the photographer put her foot in our wine bucket and tipped it (she kicked the bucket!), no co-ordination between waiters, the sommelier didn't turn up until course 2 the 1st night, the main waiter was rubbish the whole week. On a brighter note, the asst.waiter and drinks waiter were better second week but I would dine on deck 5 again if given the choice. However, as stated before, overall the food was generally pretty good quality.

They had a food-tasting event on Deck 3 on the Tuesday- a taste of the Normandie restaurant- have to say, the Filet mignon was outstanding! Costs $35 each if you want to dine there but probably worth it!

ENTERTAINMENT

See part 1- but as the ship was full was livelier. Pool party on Tuesday had great atmosphere and the casino was rammed on the formal nights. The nights at Deck 11 Revelations ( I think I mistakenly called this the Rendezvous in part 1) when the ship's entertainers had their shows (60's show etc) were busy and had a great atmosphere. However, once they had finished the band would do half an hour and leave-enter the terrible DJ Ron and the emptying of the room. Benefit of back-to-back is you know what you missed the 1st week & what you want to miss 2nd week so can go do something else.

EXCURSIONS

The ship's shore excursions were nothing great overall. We only did one ship excursion this week-all the rest I pre-booked with an independent operator or just went ashore and grabbed a local taxi.

DISEMBARKATION

If you are not doing an excursion with ship they will try to give you a later departure slot. However, we had booked with our travel company to go to a hotel in new San Juan for a day at the beach/ pool and to get use of the shower facilities etc at hotel prior to travelling so still required an early departure. i had to get this changed at reception desk . Wasn't a problem but look out for it.

GRATUITIES

I think they are pretty fair, but the 15% on top of the drinks is always a killer. probably better than RCCL where you have to hand your waiters envelopes at end of cruise which can be embarrassing if service has been less than great, but we managed to slip a few bucks to our waiter and sommelier the 1st week and to a great barman in Revelations the 2nd week.

CONCLUSION

'Celebrity Summit's passenger base is comprised mostly of well-traveled, middle- and upper-middle-class Americans in the 45 - 65 age bracket. A good number of families can be found, particularly in the summer and holiday periods. There are a decent number of usually well-traveled, international passengers, too.'--that's from Cruise Critic's own summit review. And I think for the 35-44 age bracket, it's just a bit too formal and staid. That said, we met some lovely folk onboard and on the excursions but for a bit of a livelier, more fun cruise experience, I would take Royal Caribbean over Celebrity anytime. The food is better on Celebrity , that's all! But we went for the itinerary and i think that's the only thing that would make me cruise with Celebrity again until I am older! Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda Penthouse Deck (6) 8140

8140: Cleaner and fresher than 6079 which we had first week. Good views from balcony. Near elevators but not a problem re noise.

I have to say I was disappointed with Antigua--jumped a local taxi for an island tour--pretty grotty and run down. And getting a taxi for a half-day tour wasn't easy however the old guy we got was really nice.Went to Nelsons' Dockyard which was interesting then to Shirley Heights. Stopped off at the Viv Richards Cricket stadium. Then had a sail on the Pirate Ship which was a good laugh. Round to the beautiful Deep Bay for some beach time. There is a shipwreck you can snorkel around. But overall, not much to make me want to return!

Read 802 Antigua Reviews

I found Barbados to be pretty charmless. Bridgetown reminded me of a typical small English town and the scenery reminded of Central Scotland. Sure, some of the beaches we saw were magnificent but I'm left wondering what all the hype is about. We went to the Concorde museum which was very interesting. Had a brief tour of parts of island there and back before getting off at Carlisle Bay- the side near the port was nothing special, the side furthest away was quieter and beautiful.Re the taxis, saw some people waiting ages before they could do anything due to the taxi vans waiting until they had more people going the same way. Fortunately, we found an old guy with a small car who took us alone. I think if I were ever to return I would try to book an all-day tour that showed me as much as possible but Barbados is quite far down the list of places I would return to.

Read 703 Barbados Reviews

We booked a trip to the Hilton Caribe hotel for the day as we had a late flight. In the end, they took us to the Conrad Condado plaza which is just across the bay--no big deal. Had a relaxing day in the sun by the pool--there is a small public beach adjoining the hotel. Had lunch, and use of showers before heading to airport. Cost us $45 each--a bit steep! Nice enough hotel. had a walk outside--a few art deco buildings along the street. But the best bit of San Juan is the old town and the fact that El Yunque Rainforest is a short drive away.

Read 1361 San Juan Reviews

Probably the best port of call of the whole cruise! has everything- beautiful scenery, history, beaches, gardens and lovely people! Booked a land and Sea excursion thru the ship--took us a wonderful drive to the fishing village of Anse La Raye stopping at Morne Fortune viewpoint on the way, then to Soufriere via Canaries, stopping for some creole bread on the way. Amazing views of the Pitons on the way there. Had a great Caribbean lunch at the Diamond Botanical Gardens and Watermill and saw the Diamond Waterfalls and Mineral Baths. Then sailed from Soufriere to the beautiful bay at Anse Cochon for some swimming and beach. Crazy weather for a while but cleared by the time we got back to Castries. Quick look around there. Only disappointment is no time to go to drive-in volcano but a great day out on a truly beautiful island. Would go back- always a good sign!

We had a pre-booked tour with Joyce Prince--was really good--had a drive around everywhere-stopping at great beach of Orient Bay and Marigot Bay- before getting to Maho Beach where the planes fly right over the beach when landing. I had specifically asked Joyce to take us there when the larger planes were landing--she only wanted to give us 20 mins here but agreed to stay until the bigger ones came in-which was another hour. Was a great sight and have to say proceed with caution if you are standing behind a 'biggie' when its taking off- I nearly got blown into the sea and the pain on the back of my legs from the sand being blown into them was measurable :-) All good fun, though! No hassles with traffic getting back- we left at 2.45pm and still had plenty of time for a decent wander around Philipsburg when we got back.

St Maartens is interesting- French side/ Dutch side-2 currencies etc-very different. Great beaches too, and pretty lively . Great duty-free prices for liquor and cigarettes. Very dry island , which distinguishes it from many others-well worth a visit!

St Thomas is nice-no mistake. Unfortunately, when we went to Magens Bay- one of National Geographic's Top 10 beaches of the world- it was dull and overcast which was a shame. Stayed a while then headed off to the east of the island where we sat on Coki Beach in glorious sunshine- just not as picturesque a beach as Magens Bay.Went up the Skyline cable car which was an expensive way of getting great panoramic pictures. Definitely could spend more time here -a plus point is that St Johns is just a hop away too. Never got a chance to see downtown Charlotte Amalie unfortunately.

Read 2325 St. Thomas Reviews