Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by Samantha2: Children's Programs- Please revamped your times!

Samantha2
Member Since 2011

Entertainment Not Rated
Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Spirit Mexican Riviera Cruises

Children's Programs- Please revamped your times!

Sail Date: March 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: San Diego

We are a family of 4 with children ages 7 and 8. We had intended to use the child care activities only a few times during the cruise as we do most everything with our children as it was a family vacation. WE WERE NOT DISAPPOINTED WITH THE PROGRAMS......JUST expected them to accommodate the schedules of children not partying adults!!!!

We hoped to attend an evening show, spend some time as a couple and I had hoped to head to the spa. We were NOT unhappy with this cruise, just making you aware of your limitations if you do take younger children that can not be left alone in a cabin.

Time Schedules would be my biggest issue. Children in K-3rd grade typically go to bed between 7:30-9pm. (few parent alter this by more than an hour even on vacation!!) The majority of families were met were in the ships timezone while ours were one hour later. Our children feel asleep at 7pm during dinner at the dinner table and one was carried to the cabin. No child care in the More cabin available till 10pm so we had to stay in the cabin from about 7 till the next day. This made it impossible for us to go to any shows from 8-10 pm as again.....NO CHILD CARE till 10pm. In addition to that they had a disco for 6-8 year old children from 10PM to 1AM. SERIOUSLY!!!!???? I know of no parent who would allow their children up that late and even if they did, the child would be asleep after an active day swimming or playing on their vacations. (again....who are we accommodating here....parents or children)

My other question would be: Why is there no "down time" My kids go to school from 7:50-2:10 and are obviously scheduled during that time. They are NOT scheduled from then till dinner. The ship had no "down time" for kids to watch a movie, play a board game, or just play with dolls/trucks etc. EVERY minute had an activity and that activity either changed on the hour or 1/2 hour. My 8 year old boy went one time and never went back. He just wanted to relax, not be "organized" My 7 year old girl went three times for arts and crafts and dance. All three times there were only 6-8 kids at any given time. These kids are on a vacation after all and as much as scheduling children is SUPER.........NOT ALL DAY!!! (200 kids total on the ship we were told)

We all had a fabulous time on the cruise. I would just like to advise people not to expect any child care and no staff available to watch your child till 10pm. YES.....I did express my concern to the child care staff and got no response. Less

Read more Carnival Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Spirit Interior Riviera

I purposely chose a TINY cabin with two bunk beds that hung from the ceiling. When we travel, we expect almost no time in a hotel/lodging so I went low end. The cabin cleaning crew got messed up as my children fell asleep by 7pm (8pm CA time) so the first few nights it didn't get cleaned twice. They soon adjusted and did a final clean in the PM while we were at 6pm dinner. They were very accommodating. If I remember correctly, it was hard to find cabins for families? We also had a floor directly under the lido deck which was close to food and pools. Great assistant from the booking gal.....Joy was her name.

We did the dolphin swim the first day. It was FABULOUS!!! After that we went to the beach. There was a massive line to get back on the ship but it went VERY fast!!! My husband did some fishing for the AM and had a good day although no one that day caught anything.

The next day we parasailed in the early AM. Another GREAT experience. After that we walked around the shops for a bit. None of us are shoppers so we got back on the boat about 1pm. The second day was a short day in port.

Overall this port was very touristy but got the exposure to MX that I was looking for. The children had a fabulous time and we came back with many good memories!!