Crown Princess Cruise Review by cameroncrazy171: Another Great Experience

Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Crown Princess Western Caribbean Cruises

Another Great Experience

Sail Date: March 2011

My wife and I just got back from a march break Western Caribbean cruise aboard the Crown Princess. We have sailed with Princess before (Star Princess), and the 2 ships are almost identical, and overall, I can highly recommend Princess; it was another amazing vacation. Here is a quick breakdown:

Transportation to Port Everglades: We had a rental car and came from Miami. We dropped it off at the Miami Road location in Fort Lauderdale because they offer a free shuttle to the port. The airport drop-off location does not. Keep that in mind. The shuttle also picked us up after the cruise and took us to the car rental location, which was great. Just be sure to ask the attendants at the port where the shuttle pick up is. We had no problems, but a couple we met waited 2 1/2 hours because the shuttle didn't stop in front of where their ship docked.

Ship Info: I'm sure that there are flashier ships, but I thought the Crown Princess was great. Beautiful piazza, lots of More great bars, pools, and things to do. You can't go wrong.

Activities & Entertainment: Lots of things to do. We had seen a lot of the shows before on the previous cruise, so we watched more movies (great under the stars), did trivia challenges, etc.

Service: The service was great. We didn't run into anyone who provided even mediocre service. Like Celebrity, we find that Princess excels in this category.

Port and Shore Excursions: I'll write more detailed port reviews, but I'll say here that we really liked Roatan, and you can't go wrong booking with Victor Bodden Tours. Grand Cayman also had some cool highlights, and Cozumel and Princess Cays were relaxing beach breaks for us.

Dining: This is one of the highlights of the cruise, as always. The food in the dining room was great every night, and there were a few dishes that were truly exceptional. I can't imagine anyone could find fault with the food. Nobody that we talked to on the ship had anything bad to say.

Summary: Overall, another great experience on Princess and I can highly recommend this ship. Less

Read more Crown Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Crown Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Crown Princess

It's hard to rate Cozumel because we only did an all-inclusive beach break with Ocean Beach Resort (booked through Cozumel water sports) and didn't see that much of the island. The package they gave you for $40 with drinks and lunch was very good. And I definitely recommend the $15 massage that was about 25-30 minutes; much better value than on the ship, and really relaxing. Overall, we enjoyed relaxing at this port.
Read 3120 Cozumel Reviews

We did the Cayman in a Nutshell Tour (Captain Marvin's) for this port. Stingray City was closed by heavy winds, but the crew took us to a snorkel spot with friendly rays that we fed. They handled things very well. The land portion of the tour took us to Hell, the Turtle farm, and 7-mile beach for lunch. Everything was great, although we felt the narration on the land part of the tour could have been a bit better. Overall, I would recommend this company though, and it is reasonably priced for what you get compared to ship excursions, especially if you pre-book online.

Overall, Grand Cayman is a nice stop. It is flat, and doesn't have the tropical vegetation of other Caribbean islands, but it has nice beaches, water activities (Stingray City), and the port area is nice to stroll around in without being hassled (it has quite a high standard of living, not the poverty you see in some other islands).

(5.5)
Roatan was probably our favourite stop. Part of this is because of the tour, of course. We booked the private tour with Victor Bodden. It is really cheap for a private guide for the day. The guides are informative (ours was a little soft-spoken though) and you tell them what you want to do, and they never rush you at all. It was a great day. We skipped the popular zip-lining. Instead, we went to the iguana farm on the eastern side of the island, which was pretty good. We also paid the $5 to go inside the monkey compound at Victor Bodden's. They let you in the cages and the monkeys are all over you. We got some great pictures and it was very difficult to convince my wife to leave. We then went to the West End, and to West Bay Beach (which is beautiful) for a relaxing couple of hours before our guide took us to a few shops on the way back to Mahogany Bay Port. Overall, we loved Roatan.
Read 1649 Roatan Reviews