Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by kontraxed: NCL Epic

Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

NCL Epic

Sail Date: March 2011

It may sound contradictory. We had a good cruise but we would never sail on the Epic again. We are a 58 year old couple and this was our fifth cruise, the 3rd with NCL.

The Epic has great entertainment. The Blue Man group was great. The Legends concert was good but only 45 minutes long. Our favorite entertainment was the "Howl at the Moon" group. A lot of fun mixed with good music. We went twice and may look for the Boston franchise. A guitarist/singer (last name Hunter) was very good. We listened to him a few nights.

The Epic food was OK. We ate in both "Taste" and "Manhattan". Same food and menu but Manhattan has live music and a nice window facing aft. We ate in Cagney's and it was excellent. The good surprise was Modernos. It was a really excellent restaurant. As good as, if not better than Fogo in Houston. A food disappointment was O'Sheehans. Nice menu but the quality of the food there was generally poor.

The Spa was a mixed bag. I had two excellent More massages. Unfortunately, the thermal room looked pretty ragged. For a ship less than eight months in service, the paint was peeling off major parts of the ceiling of the spa. The thermal pool had an ugly yellow scum line. I mentioned it to the spa desk folks and they gave me a song and dance about chlorine but I never once saw any indication that they had made any effort to clean it. It was pretty disgusting and really took away from the spa experience.

The crew was, without exception, the nicest crew and group of people we have ever had the pleasure to sail with. They were friendly and always helpful.

Finally, NCL has forgotten that we want to sail on this Cruise Ship. (Emphasize the words sail and ship) You can hardly see the ocean from the ship. There is no 360 track to walk around the ship. You can not walk from the Atrium level to an outside deck. I think deck 7 lets you go out but all you can see is the life boats. There are many fewer public windows to the outside. There is no forward facing bar or public area from which you view the forward part of the ship. This is really more a mobile resort rather than a cruise ship. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 12086

We had a deluxe family balcony room (D2) room 12086 on the 12th deck. The toilet and bath have been discussed to death. I will say that the toilet, even with its sliding glass door and curtain, leaves nothing to the imagination. You will hear every tinkle, grunt and groan and certainly partake of the aroma. The little sink is very little and does splash even on low water pressure. No one has mentioned that if you're left handed as I am, the sink is a real pain to use. The room is nice but small and tight for two people to walk by each other. There were a lot of cabinets and drawers. The balcony could comfortably seat three adults. I don't understand why there are never electrical outlets by the bed. We use CPAP machines and had to get an extension chord. Worse, the outlets were hidden inside a cabinet! The flat screen TV was nice but there was almost no commercial programming on it. The bed was firm but oval shaped and short. I'm six feet tall and my feet hung off the end of the bed. The room looked nice but was not very functional.

To be fair, we didn't spend much time at Nassau. Our first impression was that we were bombarded by dozens of people wanting us to use their taxi, their tour services, buy their goods, etc. They smiled at you when they asked and made no effort to hide their dislike of you when you said no-thanks. We walked by a bunch of dumpy looking stores and then went to the dumpiest "Senor Frog" we ever saw. We did not have any sense of welcome and quickly got back on the ship.
Read 2644 Nassau Reviews

I love St Maarten. We took a taxi van to Marigot. We bought spices, drank Heineken, walked through the shops, looked at the yachts and ate French pastries. It was great!

Another great port to visit. We took a taxi to Black Beard's castle and took the tour. Then we went shopping and ate in a great restaurant.
Read 2332 St. Thomas Reviews