Queen Victoria Cruise Review by atanac: Voyage of the Ancients

Voyage of the Ancients

Sail Date: March 2011
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Cunard certainly has carved out it's targeted market. I have never seen so many wheelchairs, motorized scooters, walkers, portable oxygen tanks, canes etc on any cruise I have ever been on. The only thing missing was nurses in white uniforms pushing people around. The average age had to be eighty.

My partner and I knew going in this would probably be the case so it wasn't that much of a shock. Thankfully the cruise didn't cost us anything, still, it was , oh how shall I say it...an experience! I cannot understand why anyone would want to intentionally take a cruise on a ship filled with the elderly. It's annoying enough waiting behind one wheel chair, imagine a line of them. On top of that the idiots at Cunard scheduled three of the six ports as tender ports! Tendering is enough of a nuisance for able people but for the seniors it was a real hassle. So many of them never even bothered trying after their first attempt getting on and off a tender. Cunard could have easily More substituted Mazatlan and Alcapulco for the Mexican tender ports of Cabo San Lucas and Zihuatanejo. They really needed their heads examined for that schedule.

The dress code for men on Cunard was strictly enforced in the evenings which is another reason I would never step foot on Cunard again. Eight of the fifteen nights were suits and ties. Honestly, I just don't get it. Going to all that trouble packing all those clothes and then getting dressed so you eat dinner. I get it that women enjoy playing dress up but they look infinitely more comfortable in their finery that we do in long sleeve shirts buttoned up to the necks with a knotted tie around our neck. Add a jacket to that and it's really all rather silly. Norwegian Cruise Lines really has the answer for this tradition. Want to wear a tux? Go ahead...a suit...okay...sport shirt, Hawaiian shirt, long pants, short pants, jeans, slacks? All are fine. Princess and Royal Caribbean are just as easy going and no one seems to have an issue. Cunard, at least on my sole adventure on the Queen Vicky doesn't delivered enough of the goods to demand such formal requirements so it's all artifice. Trying to deliver a false sense of grandeur to those who want to believe they are a part of some grand tradition. More of an illusion actually.

For a little more nitpicking...the Lido buffet was the absolute worst when it came to selection. And it's tiny. For the most part it was virtually empty for dinner as the old folks must prefer to sit down and not have to go through a buffet line. The food was alright, pizzas custom made were very good but fifteen days of the Lido was way too much.

I am glad I took the trip though as I learn something on every cruise. Queen Victoria honestly is no better or worse than any other mainstream ship in the Carnival group. That being said there is no excuse for the premium price they ask and unless they modernize their business model I can't see Cunard sucessfully profiting in the modern world of cruising. Less

Read more Queen Victoria cruise reviews >>