“First TIme Cruise Fun”

Member Since 2011
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
After much searching on the internet and talking to friends selected Carnival Freedom. It was a good choice for our family. The week we sailed was also spring break for numerous colleges so out of about 3,600 passengers, I would say 2,000 were college students! I was a little overwhelmed by how many there were and how they would hold lines of chairs each day, but I was impressed by how well behaved and polite they were. What a joy to see young men in suits to dinner! THey were drinking and partying, but the only stumbling down drunk I saw was an older man who couldn't walk to the ship in Grand Cayman. Spoke with one couple who was leaving teh ship at a port because they were disgusted with it. I'd rather have college kids than a bunch of 7 year old running around and screaching!

We were late arrivals (about 3 pm) on Sunday, so we had no lines to wait in, carried most of our luggage with so were able to change right away.

The food was very good, the pizza is fabulous and available at lunch with a salad. Dining service was very nice and we celebrated my daughter's birthday with a personalized cake and the waiters sang to her.

I was a little disappointed in the stage shows, especially the Beatles tribute, which we left. The comedians (Al Katz and John R), were excellent, we did the adult shows each time. David, the piano bar player was great, very entertaining and had a wonderful song list. We went to the disco a couple of times, too. Would be nice if they had some dance lessons there, I did attend Line and Rumba lessons during the day. Did a little casino time. It was Mardi Gras when we were there and other than the stage show having a New Orleans theme, there was nothing else celebrating. Think this would be a great opportunity for a themed dinner!

People have commented on the smoking, and there was more than I would like to see. Especially cigar smokers on-deck. It would be nice if they limited smoking to only a couple of areas in the ship, and NOT the piano bar!

Saving deck chairs is an ongoing problem, sort of having check-outs, not sure what cruise lines can do about it.

Carnival Freedom Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Ocean View

6A
Our cabin was on 1st floor, we were thrilled with the space and how big the window was. Shampoo and body wash dispenser in the shower. The convertible sofa seat was my only complaint, its not very comfortable and I couldn't imagine sleeping on it!

We went on the Everglades tour and it was great. The tour bus stored our luggage so we didn't have to drag that around. Went on large air boats out on a tour and saw a few alligators and lots of birds. Then an alligator show (funny, but a little lame), lunch and we were dropped off at the airport by 1 pm. We still had 4 hours until our flight, but it sure helped the day go faster.

Took the taxi out to Hell and then to the beach. Beach was great, could rent snorkel equipment for $5 and we had no problems finding a place to park our towels.

We were tendered here and it took an hour from the time we got in line at 2 pm and onto the ship.

Port
Easy on and off, but I don't find Key West a very interesting town. We met a friend for lunch and went to a little museum. Skip Margaritaville.

Read 1,115 Key West Reviews
Port
We contracted with a private tour company to Dunn's RIver Falls and Coyoba gardens. Falls was a riot, could've done it again! Gardens were beautiful, we had a private tour with one of their gardeners and he told us all about the plants.

Stopped to shop at a place our tour guide recommended and then to a Jerk restaurant for a great lunch. Prices are high and we didn't buy much, our tour operator said we would get good deals, but we got screwed. Should have bought coffee at the gardens.

Published 03/22/11
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Freedom Review
Carnival Freedom Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?