“Carnival Paradise”

onstage
Member Since 2010
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
My husband and I recently returned from cruising on the Carnival Paradise. I believe this is one of Carnival's older ships, but we were pleasantly surprised to find the ship spotlessly clean and well-maintained; loved the decor, and found the color choices a lot more appealing than other Carnival ships we have seen.

Crew members were uniformly friendly and efficient. Our cabin steward and dining room waitress proved to be especially attentive. Although the weather outside was frightful, the atmosphere on the ship was delightful!

I'm in the music business myself, and was very impressed with both the stage shows and the live bands on the ship. We enjoyed the Paradise Show Band very much. I give high marks to sax player/musical director Johnny; vocalist Kelsey was an excellent singer, and very personable as well. The whole band was good; they play a mix of oldies and top-40 dance tunes; and it works, you can't sit in your seat without jumping around. I actually got my husband up to dance! We also loved the high-energy stage shows in the theater. The dancers and singers did a great job of performing all sorts of musical styles and dances. When reading through other critiques, I was surprised to see that some people didn't appreciate the entertainment. How can you not like a high-energy stage show, with a lot of dancing and costumes? Or a live band that gets everyone up on the dance floor? Maybe some people should just stay home and watch TV!

About a week after we got home, my husband and I tried to go out to dinner and catch a show or a live band, and were disappointed that we couldn't find anything nearby. That's one of the wonderful things about a cruise -- there's live entertainment every night -- and you don't have to go far to get to a good restaurant.

Our one minor complaint involved embarkation. As previous Carnival cruisers, we were supposed to have priority boarding. However, the priority line was not clearly marked, and we ended up waiting much longer than we should have in some pretty unpleasant weather.

Carnival Paradise Cruises to the Mexican Riviera
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Ocean View

6CE-117
Outside cabin with window; biggest complaint is that you can't walk around the bed. The person who sleeps next to the window has to climb across the bed to get in or out. Closet space adequate, convenient location, noise level was quiet.

We took the whale-watching excursion. No whales, but enough sea lions and dolphins to make up for a whale or two! The island doesn't seem to have a whole lot to do, other than walking around to shops; we had lunch in a nice little pancake house right by the waterfront. Very cute little town, though -- I would enjoy vacationing there for a few days.

Port
An old-style Mexican town, not very attractive. But we enjoyed the winery tour, and horseback riding trip. Found a very nice, up-scale restaurant for dinner; were disappointed that the stores closed early in the evening so we couldn't do much shopping. If it wasn't for the excursions, it's unlikely I would want to return to Ensenada.

Read 367 Ensenada Reviews
Published 03/22/11
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Paradise Review
Carnival Paradise Cruises to the Mexican Riviera
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?