Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by JKMDaniel: Carnival Splendor on March 6

Carnival Splendor on March 6

Sail Date: March 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Embarkation-My traveling mate and myself flew in on the same day as our embarkation. Transfer through Carnival was very good. Once at the terminal, it was just as all of the reviews stated...Chaos! These people should learn from the Carnival terminal employees in Ft. Lauderdale. Thankfully, my cruise mate was a platinum member. The VIP lounge was not organized and the attendants were stressed. Once through that part, it was very smooth getting onto the boat. However, the cruise terminal was completely empty, and it was 12:30pm. That meant all of the people outside were still waiting.

The Ship-it is not the most tasteful in decor. Because I had sailed on Carnival Freedom, the layout was almost exactly the same. The room was fine, but the room attendant never introduced himself. It wasn't until the 3rd day that we met him.

Dining-Our waiting staff at dinner was really wonderful. The food was mostly good, some nights being superb, others just OK. But for the price, it More is really fine.

For the Lido buffet, the Mongolian Wok is so good. I hit it at a time where there wasn't a line. The other that I really liked was the Tandoori Grill. If you like Indian, go for it. There was almost never a line there.

Breakfast is best in the dining room. If you go to the Lido, I recommend the boiled eggs or the omelets. The scrambled eggs taste weird! The fruit was good. Just wish there were strawberries. Pastries were adequate.

Pizza, Hamburger Grill, Hot Dogs- This is fine for the evening. The calzone is the best! Avoid the hot dogs with chili. My cruise mate got sick the last evening from it.

Spa-This was the biggest disappointment. Workout spaces were small. Locker rooms were small. Lockers were broken. Showers didn't work. And the steam rooms and jacuzzi you had to pay an extra $150 to have access. I was expecting the same if not better spa amenities as the Carnival Freedom.

When I approached the spa staff, they informed me they didn't work for Carnival and that their spa was a "different class". When I asked if their spa was a higher class from Freedom, the said yes. Well let me tell you it is NOT! Carnival Freedom has much larger spaces overall, better views, more amenities, and a less stuffy staff. This spa is poorly designed with terrible views of the sea.

When I cruise, the most important thing to me is the spa. I go to workout every day and enjoy the steam room every night before dinner. So if you value a good workout space and don't want to spend the extra money, don't sail on Splendor!

Entertainment-I didn't go on this cruise for entertainment. However the marriage show is great if you like to laugh. I can't speak much to anything else. This cruise for me was about relaxing and resting. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Oceanview Main 2339

Cabin was just fine. The larger Carnival cabins are as good if not better than RCI.

If you are lucky and you get 2 days in the same port like we did, take advantage of it! Don't book excursions from the cruise ship. There is plenty to do in Cabo and plenty of vendors to help you. It is very clean and the vendors are as pushy as other places. We used the Activity Center AA1. The vendor's name is Vicente Mendoza cell:044(624)11-50148.

We took the glass bottom boat to Lover's Beach the first day. It was only $10 per person. Do it if you are physically fit.

Second day, we took a catamaran boat ride for 4 hours and snorkeled down south of Cabo. Man is it beautiful! We saw a whale; and we were also fed a great meal. It was only $45. I'm telling you, this was so much fun even if you don't snorkel, the boat ride and the food is so worth it.

This is a large city, but it is not that clean. Just know that it isn't that bad, but I wouldn't go there for a vacation anytime soon. We took a 4 hour bus tour booked with the ship for $40. That was worth it. The tour commentator was wonderful. We went south to a beach called Mysalmoia-I think. It was OK. Go to the tequila factory! That was good. Avoid any food because one of our bus mates got very sick!