Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by blueraider76: First Cruise = Awesome!

blueraider76
Member Since 2011

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska Cruises

First Cruise = Awesome!

Sail Date: June 2010
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

This was my first cruise and I wasn't sure what to expect. It was absolutely amazing! My wife and I are currently planning our second cruise, it's such a great way to travel!

First, the pros.

The staff was top notch. My sister has a severe peanut allergy and she made Royal Caribbean aware of this several months in advance. The wait staff had a plan ready and went above and beyond to ensure her food was peanut free. They really made her feel taken care of and we were all so appreciative. Julio from Honduras in the Windjammer is such a cool guy. We met him on our day and we looked for his tables every day after that. If you're on this ship, look for Julio, he'll take care of you. The cabin attendant remembered our names after the first introduction and always greeted us like old friends. Our rooms were always clean and taken care of, not one issue at all.

The food. The buffet was good. Lots of new things to try and classic favorites that were pretty good. Some More things weren't great and overall it wasn't mind blowing, but there were a few items that were incredible and I love trying the international foods that I never heard of before.

The ship. Beautiful and well maintained. It was easy to get around, the pools and hot tubs were clean, and we felt very safe. The health club was great, it was cool running on a treadmill while watching the coast line and mountains. The Solarium was a cool place to hang out and watch scenery when it was too cold to be out.

The cons.

The entertainment. I don't like casinos, although I did give it a brief shot. I quickly remembered why I don't like casinos. The shows were well produced, but cheesy in general. Not really appealing to the 30 somethings. They had trivia every now and then, but each game only lasted about 20 minutes. We found ourselves getting bored quite a bit.

The shops. Very expensive. Here's an important tip. Avoid the "Shopping Seminar". Here's how it works. "Jimmy" the shopping guy talks up these leather bound coupon books for free stuff at the ports. The books are $30. Now you have to go to all the shops in the book to redeem your free stuff. That's a lot of time spent for trinkets when you can save $30, lots of time, and skip the whole deal. Anything with the word "shopping" attached to it should be avoided. Those are the only two complaints we had, far from impacting the quality of the trip. Less

Read more Rhapsody of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Rhapsody of the Seas Review >>

Juneau was a lot of fun. Our excursion was sea kayaking and everything went smoothly. The drive to and from the bay was beautiful, but actually being on the water was a blast. We went to the Red Dog Saloon for a quick bite, a bit touristy but a unique experience. Downtown was very busy with lots of tourist shops. I loved the town, but I don't feel like I really experienced it.

Read 837 Juneau Reviews

Love Seattle. We didn't have time to do a whole lot on the day of the cruise, but we have been there before. Go to the Experience Music Project and SciFi museum by the Space Needle. I could spend hours in the guitar gallery. Also, Pike's Place Market is well worth exploring. Bring a warm rain jacket.

Read 101 Seattle Reviews

(5.5)
I still think about Skagway, I want to go back so bad. We did zip-lining and it was a great choice. The staff were incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. The views of the mountains were breath taking. Later, we explored some of the town. It's small with several tourist shops, but if you explore enough you can find some very cool spots. The zip line guides told us about a great hiking trail that is easy to get to from downtown. You can climb up and step out on a rock overlooking the entire town. Snow melt streams from the mountain tops are rushing beneath bridges. This was when we really felt like we were in Alaska. We totally fell in love with it on that trail in Skagway. Be sure to try and spend as much time as you can here.

Read 643 Skagway Reviews

A big city with a small town attitude. The people were so polite and friendly. The walk from the ship to downtown was beautiful with all the well maintained homes and gardens. Be sure to check out Chinatown and Tin Pan Alley. Also, there is a large museum there that is affordable and very fun. You'll learn a lot about the Pacific Northwest there. Here's a tip. Head north on Store St. past Chinatown. Look for a small sushi place on the right. By far the best sushi my wife and I ever had. Plus, it's a lot cheaper than what we can get far inland. Also, wear comfortable walking shoes.

Overall, the entire cruise was incredible. When I'm 80 years old, I'll still be thinking back to that amazing week with a smile.

Read 553 Victoria Reviews