Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Greg B*

Member Name: Greg B*
Cruise Date: March 2011
Cabin Category: T1
Entertainment 5+

Epic 3/5 sailing. More notes from a solo traveler.
Ok, for starters, I attempted to book into a group when I contacted the NCL rep. He stated it wouldnt be an issue if I booked through him and he would put me into the group. To make a long story short, I had to call/email several times and it didnt get resolved. I was issued an on board credit for the misunderstanding. The credit wasnt even there when I boarded so I had to do an inquiry and it was then posted. Thumbs down on the NCL cruising specialist rep.

Onward and upward.

I booked a studio cabin and here are a few notes that I hadnt seen before. Maybe I missed them.

Book as far away from an entrance to the studio cabins as possible and do not book a room that is "connected" to another unless you know the person. It was very distracting how much noise you can hear from your neighbors room. I could hear him eating, talking to his boyfriend, and other bodily noises. Not too pleasant.

The studio cabins were awesome besides that. Plenty of room, comfy big bed. As mentioned in other reviews, I was very surprised how mature everyone was that booked the studios. I thought there would surely be more younger travelers. Definitely not the case. The majority were over 40 with a good portion in their 50's and 60's. Wow!

Entertainment on board is excellent. Food was outstanding. Zero complaints.

Misc notes

I felt that the Epic charging you $12 each day in the form of a service charge didnt motivate the employees to give outstanding service. A handful of employees I interacted with were phenomenal but the majority were just average. Thats not the case on other cruise lines.

Bliss nightclub was amazing. So much room in there. Lounge beds to kick back on. Arcade games, bowling, billiards, and a huge bar. The set up alone in there would make me want to take Epic again.

The phone system in the rooms were great. One button to order pizza.....brilliant. I didnt however see a button to silence the phone completely. That would have been nice.

Internet access throughout the ship. Well done. They should post a notice at the internet cafe when service is down though :(

Cleanliness of the ship was above average. There was a ton of cleaning going on at night but I didnt see much during the day. Very different than Royal Caribbean.

I booked my studio cabin with regards to where it landed in the hallway. I was under the impression it was a straight shot to the lounge. That was not the case when I got to my cabin. There were twists and turns. With that being said, dont assume the layouts are accurate on the NCL site.

My buddy did Karaoke and said their system wasnt that good. He said the feedback wasnt there to hear you sing. Not sure what that means or if it matters to anyone but FYI.

I thought it was great that you could book restaurants and entertainment through your TV. Well done NCL!

The hot tubs arent open late. That was a big disappointment. But they have more of them and they are ok with you drinking in them. I can appreciate that!!!

Overall I felt the pool layouts on Royal ships like Liberty and Independence were better but I felt the lower active decks were much better on Epic.

I was bummed that the life boats block the ocean view on deck 7. Its always nice to go out there and watch the waves and have some private time. No go on Epic.

The jogging track is a lane on deck 7. It doesnt go around the ship. Ugh.

Thats about it. I went for the fun of the ship and I was not let down at all. The nightlife was GREAT and the friends I made were AWESOME! Good job, Epic!

PS....dont forget to do the Pub Crawl on the first night! Its a great time!

Publication Date: 03/15/11