Carnival Imagination Cruise Review by pigismom: First time with Carnival

Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Carnival Imagination Western Caribbean Cruises

First time with Carnival

Sail Date: March 2011

My daughter and I took this cruise while she was on Spring Break. We wanted some place warm to go. We arrived in Miami and took the cruise shuttle to the port. It took about an hour -time for waiting for the shuttle to get to the port. Once at the port, embarkation was a fairly smooth process. We got on the ship and went directly to our cabin. It was decent size for the two of us. Inside cabin, no window. I didn't enjoy that. I'll be sure to get a window next cruises. Bathroom had shampoo and body gel, one disposable razor, samples of toothpaste, floss picks, breathe right strips and Ponds facial wipes. The cabin housekeeper came and introduced herself the first night. She left towel animals each night and chocolates with bed turn down. She was very friendly and asked if we needed anything to let her know.

The dining room staff was great. Very attentive and efficient. I would say 97% of the food was good. There were plenty of choices. On Lido Deck was the other dining areas. More The food was typical, hamburgers. hot dogs, chicken fingers, desserts, nothing that jumped at me and said "eat me". Breakfast was typical breakfast items. There was an omelet station that was good. At lunch it became the deli area. Supposedly, pizza station was open 24 hours. I did not see that it was. We tried to get pizza at 11 am and waited 10 mins. and no one came to serve us, so we tried the deli. Sandwiches were fine. The times places were open weren't very convenient. It would have been good to have more choices at extended hours.

Two things that were bad: The "hurry Up" and wait for many things. Getting on and off at ports. We waited an hour in a crowded warm hallway to get off at Cozumel. Not much direction from the crew on where to go or when. The Dynasty Lounge was old and smelly. The clothe circular seating stunk. The views for the shows were obstructed in many spots. The shows were very good. "Shout" was better than "Living in America". The comedian show was funny, but way too short.

Alcohol was definitely pushed. The pool area was small with one pool and not very long hours. Basically it was over-filled with drunk college students. Same for the water slides. There weren't enough deck chairs for those that wanted them. Activities were lacking for a complete day at sea.

Key West was beautiful and warm. Tried para-sailing (not through cruise excursions) and got a good deal. Cozumel was warm. Tried snorkeling from a glass bottom boat tour (not through the ship excursion). It was wonderful. The water is so blue. Cozumel itself was a tourist trap, didn't impress me. Tried a cruise excursion in Miami to the Everglades. Again, "hurry up and wait". The tour guide was good, the driver worried me (using cell phone while driving and talking to the guide and not watching the road). The Everglades were ok. I can say I've been there, don't have to go again. The Gator show was all of about 5 minutes of a woman telling us the difference between crocs and gators. Wasn't worth the money. I felt that everyone was looking for a tip (which I gave). Probably will not go on another Carnival ship, but will definitely cruise again. Less

Read more Carnival Imagination cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Imagination Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Imagination Upper/Lower Empress U31

U31. Decent for inside cabin. Two twin beds that were firm and comfortable. Clean with adequate storage. No refrigerator. Ice left for us daily. Hallway quiet. Light coming through under door. Good shower pressure. One outlet in room and one in bathroom. No hair dryer. 2 beach towels supplied with regular towels. Sample tioletres provided.

Cozumel's waters were gorgeous and warm. Got off the ship, followed the herds of people through all the souvenir shops to the taxi stand to get into downtown center for our boat excursion. The taxi ride was "fast" and cost $7 USD. Walked around the shops for a bit, being hounded at each one, to come in and see what they have. The Center was run down looking, not very impressive for a tourist area. Nothing worth mentioning, except the water was so blue. Met up with our Glass Bottom Boat/snorkeling excursion. It was a smaller boat than I expected, but fun just the same. The guide didn't really explain snorkeling to us newbies. Thankfully, there were two other couples that were very helpful. The trip didn't last as long as I expected it to, but it was fascinating all the same. The crew dropped us off at a dock closer to our cruise ship, so we didn't need to pay for a taxi back. We walked over to Mayan Pier and ate dinner at Three Amigos. Wonderful service and food. This pier was nicer than the pier we docked at and less crowded.

Read 3137 Cozumel Reviews

Key West was beautiful. Unfortunately our ship dock at a pier far away from the center so we had to get a shuttle bus or train into the center. It was provided for us. Tried para-sailing with "Fury". Worth the money, since we got a spring Break Deal. Just watch out, because they tried to charge me more until I showed them the "deal" I had. The crew was good. They took pictures and put them on a mini CD that you can purchase for $20. I purchased it since it was probably the only time I would go para-sailing with my daughter. It's a good momentum of our excursion, but the picture my daughter took would have been just fine. We walked around Key West, had lunch at Amigos Tortilla Bar. It was very good.

Read 740 Key West Reviews