Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by szifty

Member Name: szifty
Cruise Date: March 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: B2
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
AWESOME Cruise, OR Where were you?
We had a Great cruise in almost every respect. The previous poster had a horrible cruise. What I have to say will be a comparison of our experience to theirs. They were on their honeymoon and we celebrated our 25th anniversary.

Cruisereview 22: "I've always found Carnival to be a party cruise, Norwegian to be a "Silver" cruise (for the older folks) and Royal Carribean to be a great balance. Reluctantly, we chose to book NCL for our honeymoon cruise, even though I felt like there was not much offered for a younger person during my last NCL trip.

Wow! With 560 spring breakers on board, how could it get much younger? My wife and I had a great time with the kids from Virginia Tech, UCF, University of Tampa and South Carolina just to name a few. You should have gone on the pub crawl! We had a great time! I even won the chugging contest! Learn to make your own fun.

Cruisereview22: "If you like eating the same buffet food everyday, this cruise is for you."

If you like eating buffet food, you don't know food.

Cruisereview22: "The casual main dining room is closed until 5:30, so if you want a real meal (not buffet food) you have to DRESS UP to go the "Smart Casual" dining room. Freestyle Cruise, seriously? Only the buffet and "up-scale" dining rooms are open before 5:30."

How many times a day do you need to eat? You are on your honeymoon! Get some exercise in your cabin! Also, if "Dressing" up to you is a pair of nice jeans and a polo shirt, then I agree, you should not be allowed in the MDR in sweats and sleeveless t-shirts.

Cruisereview22: "And once you get into the main dining room, you realize the portions are Kids Meal sized!"

Portions are normal for elegant cuisine, and you can order more if you desire. I have been in one of the "Iron Chef's" restaurants many times, He lives around the corner, and the portions were similarly sized.

Cruisereview22: "As for the premium (read you have to pay money to even get in!) restaurants: The French Bistro was $15 per person and unimpressive and the Hibachi restaurant was $25 per person. The Sushi restaurant was the only good dining spot on a boat of subpar cafeteria food."

Carnival and Royal also have "Pay" restaurants. Look at their sites. We ate in the Steakhouse, Sushi and Moderno. Very good, but Moderno was heaven for meat lovers. The roasted Lamp Chops were to die for! And the Sirloin!! The Filet I thought was very good, but would be better broiled. The Sausages!!! The Raspberry Creme Brulee!!!

Cruisereview22: "Jeopardy could've been better organized and conducted by a group of 2nd graders."

Johnny was very professional, as were his assistants.

cruisereview22: "The best entertainment aboard that ship are the hired acts that put on the hypnotism, juggling and comedy shows. Followed closely by their employees talent show. Even though a lot of it was in "Engrish," it was obvious that many of them had amazing vocal talent, and some could sing and play an instrument."

"Engrish?" Can you say BIGOT? The crew can all speak two languages or more, even our wonderful steward "Dinkie".

Cruisereview22: "The $10 drinks and $2.25 soda cans wore out their welcome quickly." I never paid more than $8 for a drink and bought the soda package to save money. I even found bargains such as the Bass ale in the Sports restaurant. $5.00, same price as my local watering hole.

Cruisereview22: "Also, their FREE Bingo tickets require that you sit through multiple games of paid Bingo before you can participate!

ALL bingo ALL over the worldwith cash payouts will cost money to play.

Cruisereview22: "The Xcaret excursion in Cozumel picks you up off the pier beside the ship and takes you to Cancun (not a problem, but not advertised as such) on to return you just in time to the boat. No time to see Cozumel from within a distance of 100 ft."

Advertisement, from the NCL website.

Xcaret is a beautiful eco-archeological theme park that offers a naturally tropical exploration of the Caribbean jungle. Once you enter Xcaret, you're on your own to explore. There's a museum, a bird sanctuary, stables, botanical gardens, restored Mayan ruins, a replicated Mayan village, beautiful beaches and natural pools. Enjoy swimming through the mysterious underground river and swim with the friendly dolphins. The dolphin tour carries an additional charge and operates on a first-come, first-served basis (reservations are not available). Note: Tour includes a 45-minute ferry ride to the mainland.

Cruisereview22: "One of the "Silver cruisers" went into cardiac arrest shortly after we left Cozumel and we immediately turned around to get them medical attention. That was completely understandable, except for the fact that due to the 3 hour delay, they CANCELLED the 10 hour Guatamala visit!!!"

If your Fiance had the heart attack, would you rather they sail on to Guatamala so you could go Snorkeling? I applaud NCL for sacrificing the cash-flow to care for their passengers. Cruise Lines lose money every time that they miss a port.

Cruisereview22: "Then, when we got to Key West, they made us go through Customs so we would get off their boat quicker on the last day. The cruise advertised a port time of 7a - 1p, but because they only had 2 customs officers checking EVERYONE'S info, we couldn't get off until 9:30a!!! And we were the 3rd floor to be called! Considering we had to catch a tram back to the bus no later than 12:15, we had only 3.5 hours of our advertised 6 HOURS in port!!"

Lemons, Lemonade or Sourpuss, Take your pick! My Friend Brittany and her Posse celebrated her birthday over breakfast and a few libations. Their bill was $170 for 3!! I ran into them @ 11:45 in front of the Capt Tony's bar, the Original Sloppy Joe's. They made LEMONADE!!!

Cruisereview22 Did NOT talk about:

The clean rooms or how polite the Spring Breakers were.

The staff that bent over backward to solve problems. (My too hot room)

The clean pool and Hottubs. (full all the time!)

The Casino ( I don't gamble)

The Pub Crawl (a youthful event enjoyed by 70 people!!!)

The wonderful smoked salmon eggs benedict!

The Smoked salmon in all breakfast areas! (I'm growing gills!)

The friends they made. ( Sam, Tim, Jamie, Denny, Sherry, Brittany, Kaitlyn, ...

The ... Well do I have to mention more?

We had a great time!

We will Cruise NCL again and again...

Publication Date: 03/15/11