Carnival Paradise Cruise Review by ZFoxy: Felt like dirt

Felt like dirt

Sail Date: March 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

I had been on a 5 day cruise with Carnival before and absolutely LOVED the experience so I was looking forward to this 3-day to Baja for quite some time with my mother and two friends. The first thing we noted upon the ship was that hardly any of the staff was smiling or at all friendly for that matter. We greeted a few and either the smile was brief and somewhat annoyed or they just looked at us as if we were aliens. We quickly concluded the second day on the ship that some of their reactions could've have been a direct result of the passengers.

Chaos was the kindest way of putting it. There was hardly any order. People were getting horrifically drunk to the point of stumbling into complete strangers, throwing up, getting into fights. I was shocked. The cruise before was very elegant and had little tolerance for rowdiness but in this cruise even security just turned their gaze away.

The Dinning room was the worse experience. Absolutely NO order. On one night in the More dinning room Carnival typically has a black tie attire night. Meaning the ladies dress in their gowns and the men in their suits. At the 5-day ship if one wasn't wearing this they were not admitted into the dinning room. Wearing our dresses, we entered the dinning room that night only to feel extremely overdressed. Some women and men were in their black tie attire, while others weren't even wearing shoes! The entire atmosphere was ruined because of their lack of rule enforcement. And then came the last straw.

My party had been eating two nights in a row in the dining area at our assigned seats. On the last night we enter and a different crowd has taken up our assigned area. Our waiter completely refused to speak to us, and we were forced to stand around for 30 mins until at last the maitre d approached us. When we explained our dilemma he moves us to the open seating area and doesn't even issue an apology! Completely unprofessional!!

Upset and feeling very much like dirt at this point. We request that our waiter at least speak to us and explain what happened. And we demanded an apology. The maitre d claimed he was in a meeting and would be deterred all night. Failing to make eye contact after the same man who was pronounced in a meeting passed by on his way to our table with food.

Concerning our apology he stated that none would be given because it wasn't their fault. They did the best thing possible moving us. After that, we waited another 30 min for someone to take our food which didn't happen until we flagged someone down. Who claimed they didn't even notice we were sitting there.

I myself work customer service so I understand some unavoidable disasters, but that was atrocious service. Not only was someone else allowed to take our table where we had been assigned and sat at two nights in a row, but we were denied an apology and THEN promptly forgotten about. I booked a cruise to feel good and that instance made me feel humiliated. If I wanted to feel like crap I could've saved myself $400.00. Needless to say that's the last time I book anything with Carnival at least for the 3-day.

Entertainment was alright, not very much to do on the ship besides getting roaringly drunk it seemed. Baja was fun but had very little attraction besides the blowhole, whale watching (in season) and horse back riding along the beach. Everything else was pure shopping. So if you aren't big on money spending I would suggest booking someplace else. Luckily myself and my party were so we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and I will visit Baja again. Less

Read more Carnival Paradise cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Paradise Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Paradise Oceanview Riviera M502

Quiet location with the exception of screaming in the middle of the night by rowdy passengers. Ample closet space, nice wide restroom, great view of the ocean with life vest storage in a corner which served for convenient desk. Be warned that there was only one electrical port. So it was slightly difficult to keep our electronic objects charged.

We came a little later and the experience onto the ship was smooth and easy. Getting off the ship was also filled with little stress. Excellent service, very kind and helpful people waiting to assist at every corner!