Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by xo-cruzar

Cruise Date: February 2011
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: BC
See More About: Norwegian Jade Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Jade - A Pleasant Surprise
I would start by saying that this sailing was my 20th cruise. I have traveled to many different parts of the world through cruise ships, as well as land-based tours and a couple of business trips. Having cruised with premium cruise lines, I had deep reservations booking a cruise onboard one of the NCL ships, given the various mixed reviews that I had heard from friends and other sources, including the quality of service and food onboard.

In summary, I was indeed pleasantly surprised by NCL Jade. There was a great mix of passengers from many different countries with which I feel very comfortable. On all my cruises, I always enjoyed and appreciated the crew and their nationalities. In my opinion, the crew onboard the Jade was the best I have ever encountered. This is a factor that will definitely bring me back on another sailing with NCL. Kudos to all these wonderful people!

As regards the quality of food onboard, I have no complaints whatsoever. At home, I am accustomed to and prefers dining at fine dining restaurants at most times. I found the food on Jade's main restaurants to be good. The choices were varied and sufficient. I generally chose the fish/seafood entrees, but at times tried the beef entrees, all of which were tasty and well presented. I found the desserts not to be very sweet, which suited me just fine. I also enjoyed dining at the Blue Lagoon. It was like going to a local restaurant for some comfort food. I ate at the Garden Cafe (buffet) a couple of times as I preferred to eat at the main restaurants, whether it be for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This also helped me limit the amount of food that I would have been tempted to eat if dining at the Garden Cafe.

With respect to the quality of service, I was very happy and completely satisfied with the service that I received from the restaurant and bar staff. I also appreciated the attention given by the chief of housekeeping with respect to the quality of bed that I had in my stateroom. When advised, he immediately upgraded my bed to one that was most comfortable. The service provided by my cabin attendants were acceptable, although it could be improved. However, they were both friendly and, when requested, provided what I needed (e.g., bathrobe and some toiletries).

The shows on this ship were among the best I had seen onboard cruise ships, particularly those performed by guest performers. I missed a couple of the shows which I understand were well-attended and enjoyed by the passengers.

Publication Date: 03/14/11