Disney Dream Cruise Review by DisneyDreaminDad: First Disney Cruise

First Disney Cruise

Sail Date: March 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Simply stated AMAZING!!! Disney does it right!!! Yes there are some negatives as there are with anything we do in life, but the positives out weigh the negatives by far. I am sending this critic the day after I got home. We sailed March 10-13. First - We got to Florida the day before due to coming from the southwest. SO...that meant getting up early and getting to the port about 10am (my daughter could not wait....honestly me either). They sort of corralled us who got there early in the parking garage till they could clear the previous cruise. A porter came over to us and got our luggage and then to another line near the entrance. Once inside the terminal it went very quick. Security was a breeze then off to the check in counter. Very friendly staff and quick. The wait kinda stunk, but then again I did get there early (my fault). We were in boarding group 2 so once we could board we were at the front of the line. Crowd control in the port I felt Disney got a poor grade. We had to More almost push our way to the Mickey ears. They should group people in their boarding groups to prevent this.

Once on-board AMAZING. I got a headache from visual overload. To deck 11 for lunch and then wander about the ship to get a feel for it. Oceaneers club...WOW!!! My daughter did not want to leave. The pools and slides are open at this time for playtime.

The mandatory emergency drill was fun...Disney made it that way. Unlike my previous cruise we did NOT have to wear our life jackets. Thank goodness. The sail away party was a blast. Dinner- The rotational dining was very nice and the fact that the children's clubs will come in and get the kids when they are done with dinner and sweep them to the appropriate club. That gave me a chance to walk around and explore the different areas to get a feel for the rest of the ship I have not explored yet.

Negative about dinner - The seating staff seemed disjointed to me. They all had to have a dining room map to take you to your table. In fact we made a circle around the entire dining room one night looking for our table that we passed 2x. We had Animators palate last night on ship. The show was fun and kept the kids very interested, however, they announced that Crush had lost his voice and there would not be any interaction with him during the dinner...I was sad as we had a table right next to a TV. The wait staff was very good though. Thoroughly pleasant.

Food at any other location was very good. I really enjoyed Cabanas (and so did my daughter).

The room - I got cheap at the last second when I phoned in my final payment. I switched from a Veranda suite to an inside stateroom...SHAME ON ME!!! The $200 I saved was not worth it. DO NOT get me wrong...the room I had was AMAZING. We had the virtual port hole (or as my daughter called it, "the portable") on the entire time. Not that we were in the room enough to watch it because we were NOT!

The Aquaduck...HOLY COW!!! The adults enjoyed it as much as the kids...I know I did...I rode it more than my daughter. The line is long though. If you think that while at Nassau you might get more chance to ride it...think again. It seemed not many people got off the ship at Nassau. They stayed aboard and enjoyed the on ship activities. However, at Castaway Cay... this is your time to ride the heck out of it!!! That is when I rode it 5x. DO NOT miss a show!!! We had so much fun. The Pirates shows were AMAZING!

If you are a drinker the prices are about hotel or airline prices. $6-7 for a beer, $7 and up for mixed drinks. this is were Disney is awesome. You can bring your favorite drink on board with you. From what I was told "as long as it fits in your carry-on you can bring it". No coolers though. You have a fridge in your room though. If you are a smoker (I am) deck 12 at "Waves" you will meet some new friends. You can smoke on your Veranda though. I did not have one! So off to Deck 12 with me!

Something I did not know. If you book your next Disney Cruise you get a discount and onboard ship credit for the sailing you booked. Yes I booked my next cruise. All it cost me was $90. I booked an inside stateroom for 2 people (to keep the deposit reasonable). You can upgrade and add people at a later date and even change the sailing dates. The booking staff was honest about this...not forthcoming with the info to keep it cheap but once I inquired and was honest with my intentions they were more forthcoming.

I know this was long...but there is SO much to talk about! I hope this was helpful to whom ever reads it.

My feeling at the end of the cruise was "WOW...now back to reality" I was not ready to return to reality.

Enjoy your cruise I know we did and cannot wait till the next. Less

Read more Disney Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Dream Standard Inside Stateroom Deck 9

Inside stateroom (deck 8) VERY nice for an inside stateroom. My next cruise will be a Veranda on Deck 8 or 9 on the Starboard side (due to the views at ports).