Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Fairytail: 7 Days of GREAT food, service, and enjoyment

Fairytail
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Western Caribbean Cruises

7 Days of GREAT food, service, and enjoyment

Sail Date: March 2011

Though the ship holds over 4,400 passengers, last week there were only about 3,000 guests on board so we never had the feeling we were crowded or surrounded by masses of people.

I was a little hesitant about the EPIC because I had read many mixed reviews. Fortunately, I was able to find a friend to travel with and we decided to splurge and book a courtyard suite with two bedrooms. It was beautiful and worked great for two friends who do not want to share a bed or bath.

As a suite passenger (I have never been in a suite and have become so spoiled that it's going to be tough to return to non-suite sailing), I even had access to a Concierge AND a Butler. Both were totally amazing! I've never had a Concierge or Butler looking after me before and oh-my-gosh, was that nice!

Ruth, Concierge, personally took care of setting up everything for us - - restaurant reservations, entertainment seating, shore excursions, etc. Everything we wanted to do outside of our More cabin, Ruth made sure it happened flawlessly. She was always available, never obtrusive, and had the most wonderful can-do attitude. No request was too big or too small for Ruth. If you are ever fortunate enough to meet her, you are in for a treat!

Arnoldo, our Butler, became like a friend to us. He checked in every day and personally assured everything we needed as far as in the cabin (a meal served in our room, additional sodas in our mini-bar, clothes sent out to be laundered, etc.) or wanted was handled.

Ronald, our Room Steward, made sure our suite was immaculate! We are late sleepers so I know Ronald was having to clean our room at odd times - - but he was always cheerful and eager to make sure we were comfortable.

We are small-money slot machine players, so we also met our Casino Hostess, Christina. She was a delight! Aside from not being able to make the slots pay me the big-bucks -- Christina made sure I was at least having fun if not winning money!

Dennis, the Hotel Director, was always present around the public areas of the ship, watching its operation, greeting passengers and making sure the EPIC and her wonderful staff were providing a stellar experience for all of us lucky enough to be on board.

WOW - - these people worked hard, day and night! They were always around, always available, always pleasant, always smiling and concerned. I am in awe of their talents and attitudes!

The entertainment venues on board offered something for everyone, as did the dining choices.

Overall, there's only one thing I would change if I were NCL - - and that's the set dinner menu in the Cirque show. The food was terrible - - overcooked and over salted (and I like salt). The acrobatics of the show were superb - - but far too much time wasted on silly comedic action (probably to allow the performers to prepare off-site). The Ice Bar was wonderful. And Moderno was my favorite a la carte restaurant - - we went twice during the week!

All activities are basically located on four decks - - so getting around was easy. All the other decks are passenger cabins.

The Xplor shore excursion (Cozumel) was a blast!

All staff were cheerful and very hospitable, even when simply passing you in a hallway.

I will highly recommend my friends who cruise or who want to cruise to check out the EPIC. But beware - - I was able to check out a non-suite cabin and the bathroom setup is as weird as everyone reports.

There is NO bathroom - - just two frosted-glass "pods" across from each other - - one for toilet and one for shower. You can pull a curtain between the bed and the pods, but still, there is a very awkward-feel there. Also, the sink is actually next to the bed - - so if one of you got in to the cabin after the other had gone to bed (or was napping), you'd wake up your room-mate just washing your face or brushing your teeth.

I've heard NCL will NOT be duplicating that concept on its two new ships - - wisely as far as I'm concerned!

I loved my week aboard the EPIC -- and I am in sold on the whole "freestyle" cruising style. NCL has won me over with that. They invented it and they do it better than any other cruise line. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 17031

17031- - Courtyard villa with extra bedroom & bath. Close to elevator Balcony Suite with exclusive services Butler & Concierge service always available Private lounge area (Posh) Private pool area (Epic Club Pool) Private Bar and Restaurant (Epic Club) Priority embarkation and debarkation Very quiet Big-Screen TV in both bedrooms and in living room Gourmet coffee maker Dining Area Balcony

Costa Maya is a "created" port and has only been in operation since 2001! It's my understanding the major cruise lines all contributed to the building of the port to enable them to dock and offer passengers the ability easily visit the Mayan ruins.

It works beautifully!

The little area is filled with shops and little bars. It's immaculately clean.

Tours operate without a hitch and our trip to the ruins (there are several options) proved to be a lovely full-day excursion.

Cozumel is always wild - - the city itself is busy and bustling! And the music from the bars screams out all over the town. The shopping (if you're a shopper) offers everything from the usual bobble-head ceramic turtles in bright Mexican colors to silver bracelets to really expensive stuff - - none of which I want or need. So I decided to do something totally different and head out to an adventure on the mainland called "Xplor". Totally FABULOUS! If you are not physically challenged - - and are headed to Cozumel - - consider spending the day at Xplor! Read up about it and GO and have the time of your life!

Read 3102 Cozumel Reviews

We did not take an excursion in Roatan - - just walked around the lovely area adjacent to where we were docked. Nice shops -- a couple of outdoor restaurants - - beautiful seaside and lovely people.

We chose to have a leisurely day on board the ship - - but did want to see a little of Roatan. It did not disappoint us - - nothing special but nice.

Read 1645 Roatan Reviews